Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs
Default I don't get tree stands

Okay, I would probably get flayed on the AT Trad forum if I asked a question like this, but, I hope the folks here will be kinder to me...

Tree stands. I just don't get it. Maybe it is because I am not a hunter. I don't understand trolling with a hook in the water either, or laying on the beach with my fishing pole propped up with a stick. I have to be moving around. So what is the appeal of sitting in a tree for hours waiting for that rare and magic moment when something finally happens. It sounds a lot like watching soccer (or football for anyone who is not American). What do you do to pass the time while you are in the tree?
Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Re: I don't get tree stands

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seven Arrows For This Useful Post:
A.S. (10-04-2013), Bowjack (10-04-2013), J. Wesbrock (10-04-2013), Mike S (10-04-2013), Sam Dunham (10-04-2013), Willie (10-04-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Hunting Bow: 46# and 57# CH

I am not a big tree stand fan, but I guess thats because of where I live/lived. In the yukon animals don't have any real set patterns to follow and moose you can call.

In some areas it might be the best way to hunt and maybe there are more critters to watch until you get your chance I guess.

It's pretty productive but I like hunting on the ground, but you are going to blow alot of chances so you better have your freezer full before just incase.

Stalking is hard period.....to do it right you need lots of time and most ppl are time poor and in the mind set of instant gratification too (not unlike me in certain things).

Learning to stalk takes alot of time to master and tons of time observing game in their natural state. Feeders make it too easy and so I avoid them at all cost, but that's just me.

In some places that's the only thing you can do because of land ownership too.

I won't beat you up over this and I won't beat ppl up for choosing to hunt out of stands....even it's not an easy way to get an animal. You still need to learn to read sign and setup in the proper area - direction - trails - feeding area - bedding area - in between the two etc etc.

It takes alot of patience too and you need to be dressed properly and you need to be safe....all of that is good to learn.

I have seen a few individuals that have been successful out of a tree stand and then don't know what to do after they have shot the animal go figure.

Cheers Jer

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM

i mostly just focus...on not falling out
Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Northman

The title of your post made me laugh out loud! I tried the tree thing briefly, not my thing. I'm a ground hunter all the way. So much fun! I also enjoy(ed) sight fishing for trout and reds on the flats. I also agree mobility is great. I love checking the wind and using my binocs and trying to be quiet. I am all about the fair chase.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Oh man tree stand are great. Ya go in just before sun up. Ya buckle in and take a nap till the deer eating acrons wakes you up. Ya open one eye and see if they are in your shooting lane. If not resume nap.

If you hear a tank coming your way. Wake up it is a sounder of pigs. They need to be put in the freezer.

If it is slow get your phone and solve sudoku puzzles till it is lunch time.....

What can you not understand about that? LoL
Bowcephalus (10-04-2013), J. Wesbrock (10-04-2013), Mike S (10-04-2013), Rob Ingram (11-26-2013), Seven Arrows (10-03-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 AM

For mule deer, moose and caribou I love spotting and stalking. The challenge of getting close undetected really gets your heart pumping. Playing the wind and making sure other non-target animals don't blow your stalk really makes it challenging and rewarding when successful.

With that said, when whitetails are my quarry, you will find me 25 feet up in a tree. Where's the fun in that? There are millions of trees out there. You need to scout and find that one tree you think a deer will walk within 20 yards of. No easy task. Boring? Yes...sometimes. But, once you have sat for awhile and nature starts coming alive around you, there are things you see most,if any, non- hunters have never seen. The little field mouse scampering around, wild turkeys scratching for acorns, a mink making his way up a stream bed or a red tailed hawk diving at a chipmunk. I love watching non-target deer milling around and going thru their every day life without knowing you are there, seeing how they react to every single noise in the woods . All this is very very peaceful and relaxing.

When all your scouting and preparation come together and the deer you are after is 75 yards away heading in your direction , that's when the shaking starts . Heart starts pumping, palms sweating. Wondering if he will pass thru that little shooting lane you made months prior. The slower he walks, the worse it is. The anticipation is killing you. If all this anticipation and nervousness ever stopped, I think I would stop hunting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrjeffro For This Useful Post:
gitnbetr (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 AM

Smile Re: I don't get tree stands

I have hunted from Tree's since 1988. Why? Because there are tree's and it puts me above the Deer. Is it cheating? Yes. Do I think it is unethical? No.

I do it because I like it mostly, it gives me advantage, especially when the leaves are on. It put's my scent trail a little higher in the wind and the Deer do not see me unless I move at the wrong time or I have chosen the wrong Tree for the travel route.

I am a pretty good at it because I have done it so long. I have been very blessed not to get hurt. I always use a quality Harness nowadays,,have not in the past but that was a mistake.

Anyone who hunts from a Tree has several things they should educate themselves about first. Safety is first and foremost. Spent several hours in a tree this morning and it doe's get addictive,,the view that is, it is superior.
Mrjeffro (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 AM

With three kids and a busy life - I love my tree time. What do I think about? Absolutely nothing and I love it.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- the best money you will spend on archery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt_Potter For This Useful Post:
BowDerek (10-04-2013), Glenn M (10-04-2013), indiana-jim (10-04-2013), J. Wesbrock (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 02:52 AM

Not being a Hunter, like Seven says, you just can't get it... If it were just about (or like) watching a football game that would be one thing. But hunting is about taking/harvesting game and a good part of success in that endevor is both being where the deer/game are or going to be AND not having them smell you when you're there. The stand is a good way to do that.

Walking around in the woods is enjoyable but is mostly non productive as deer can hear and smell far better than humans. Just a few thoughts...

Tom
Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 AM

I use to all but live in a climber but in the past few years I've gone to the ground a lot more. I've still got a couple of lock-ons, sticks, and ladder stands I use when the situation calls for it. There are some times when the only way to get'em is to get above them....
On the other hand there are times when I like to be a little more proactive...slip from cover to cover and pick apart the woods ahead of me with binos.

Nowadays, with smartphones, on state forum I frequent the guys give instant, live-from-the-stand play by play reports! I usually just sit and surf TT forums and Classics.

Last edited by longrifle346; 10-04-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 AM

Hunting Bow: 46# and 57# CH

I can do all that on the ground.....walking and sitting quietly on a stump.....or ground blind made up of trees and limbs too.

Nothing wrong with tree standing just find it more fun (for me) to try and outwit them on the ground in their element. Yes be prepared to go hungry unless you like tree rats and bunnies.

But just sitting still on the ground floor can get you results too.....I love hunting after a good rain or the first snowfall (or any snow fall for the matter)....so quiet.....you can hear everything.

LOVE IT

Jer
Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 AM

I'm with ya Jer. I keep a good pair of pruning snips in an easily accessible pocket and I can whip up a killer natural blind in a couple of minutes easily if I find a really good spot!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 AM

Next to an airplane or a mountain it may be the closest you will ever be to God.If you are going to sit in the woods half a day or all day(never could)its a lot nicer to observe more then you could sitting on the ground.Your shooting distance is the same but it can be pretty boring if what you can see is limited to 18yds in front of you.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 AM

Here's an analogy for you. Hikers, who walk a lot, make noise and talk often are completely unaware of what is going on around them because they alert or scare game away. If they would stop walking and get off the trail and sit still for an hour or two they would find a whole new world open to them. Just two days ago I had a sharp shined hawk see me in my tree stand and he flew right at me. I raised my arm and he flew off to avert me. Last year the same thing happened with a barred owl. We didn't see each other until he was about 3 feet from my face. A four or five foot wind span and talons that close make being one with nature a real thing. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Tags
stands, tree

Search tags for this page

deer tree stump blind

ladder stand scaring game away

Click on a term to search for related topics.