Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 11-20-2020, 04:43 PM

Default Building a short hunting bow

I'm thinking about building a shorter hunting bow. I think I am going with at 15' riser. I like the Bivouac, Morrison and Das.
The questions I have are what limbs are people running on the short risers? How are people liking or disliking the shorties?
Remove Ads
Old 11-20-2020, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Building a short hunting bow

What's your draw length? A 15" riser will give you a 56" with shorts and 60" with longs.
I had a one piece 56" bow breaking on me.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:21 PM

The das 15” and the bivouac are the same riser.

I had some uukhas on a short riser that preformed well. I also had some of the cheaper das longbow limbs on a 13” Morrison. Those limbs preformed better on 17” das. I would guess the bivouac longbow limbs are some of the best you could get for their riser, both being designed by Beltcher.

I almost bought a bivouac combo...but don’t see how I could shoot better than what I have..

Old 11-20-2020, 05:28 PM

29" draw.
I have a Dryad 19" UL riser with med Uukhas now. Looking for something a little easier in a ground blind and possibly with the saddle set up.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:11 PM

The 15” riser with your mediums should give you an idea if you want 15” and shorts
Old 11-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Bart Harmeling

Steve Long will see this thread. He put together a shorty a few years ago. He'll have some good info to share.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven O View Post
The 15” riser with your mediums should give you an idea if you want 15” and shorts
I don't want to break apart my other bow. I shoot it well and will keep it for a back up.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:31 PM

Nobody here is shooting like you and just you will know your tolerance for finger pinch. When shooting short bows I shoot using split but index is just siting along the arrow and the middle finger is loaded close to 100%. Instead buying limbs and riser I would buy the riser and try the limbs I have. Once I know what 4” difference means I can have an educated opinion about the next limb’s purchase. But you do as you please.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:51 PM

I LIKE short bows, with my 28" draw.
I had a couple of the 48" & 52" Bears a few years back & wish I still had them.
I tried extra short limbs on my 17" Dalaa & it worked out great.
JONHDO made me a metal ILF riser 12.75" to go with the extra shorts, at 52.75"...he made the riser with 22 degree angles so limbs did not gain pounds too quick.
Short bows work good for me......and I have had several.
Currently my shortest bow is a 17" DAS and shorts, at 58".....but I'm looking.....
Old 11-21-2020, 02:08 AM
wannabe

Hunting Bow: Das Dalaa
3D Bow: Das Naki
Indoor Target Bow: Hoyt Avalon+

Draven has a good point on trying your current limbs on a short riser before you buy a new set.

There are three potential problems associated with short bows.

First is the potential of overloading the limbs. This can be overcome by matching the limbs to the draw length. With your 29" draw, mediums are as short as I'd be willing to go.

Second is finger pinch. As mentioned above, this is a personal experience and probably necessitates adjusting shooting technique somewhat.

Third is diminished accuracy. This could or could not be a problem, depending on the situation. Steeper string angle and overall lessened stability of a short recurve make very high demands on the shooter. But if the target is a deer less than 20 yds away, this is likely of no consequence. But dedicated practice is a very good idea.

Being far from expert on saddle hunting, I have noticed that regular tree stands place much more restrictions on the bow length than a saddle does. Most of the time there's nothing but air to cath the limbs on at the shot. I'll likely try my 70" bow out of a saddle once I have it tuned for hunting.

Regardless, good luck for your quest. I have been shooting a short (to me, 30.5" draw) 62" bow this summer and fall and having a compact recurve is just cool.

-Groucho Marx-

Last edited by barking mad; 11-21-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:39 AM

What barking mad said! ^^^

I used to own a 15" SKY TDX ilf riser (same as the current 15" Bivouac) with matching short SKY limbs. At my 28.5" DL, it exhibited some stacking and finger pinch that I was willing to live with in favor of its handy 56" length in the field. Ultimately, I decided that I shot 60" or longer bows more comfortably and more consistently. If I were to try to build another 56" bow around a 15" riser, I'd plan on experimenting with a bunch of different limbs to achieve as little stacking as possible. With a 29" DL, I suspect you will find that mediums are the better choice.

Every archer has different tolerance levels for stacking and finger pinch and only through personal experience will you find out what works for you. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:03 AM

Another suggestion regarding hunting from an enclosed ground blind.....have you thought about buying a taller blind? It would seem that is where the overall length of your current bow gives you the most problems. I know that the tall blind market is somewhat limited and more expensive though.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of buying a new bow!
Old 11-21-2020, 08:29 AM

I DO LIKE fooling around with different bows.
NICE thing with ILF or DAS is that with the adjustable tiller bolts you can delay stacking to some degree, sometimes past your draw length.....by turning both limb bolts out 3-4 turns.
I have seen it....done it.
But I LIKE the old romantic notion of 1-piece bows.
I have an older 56" Browning WASP coming today.
THINKING of getting an older 48" or 52" Bear supermag or K-mag......been looking at ads.
DISADVANTAGE to 1-piece bows is that your are stuck with the geometry you get, if it stacks, there's no limb bolts to turn out......
THINKING I will probably get another older 1-piece shorty recurve and I'd like to try a shorty 1-piece longbow such as a Javaman Elkheart or a Shrew Classic Hunter II.
Milunchbox, let us know how you go with the shorty bow things. INTERESTING STUFF.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:23 AM

Hunting Bow: Morrison Phx with Blackmax wood / carbon
3D Bow: Same as hunting bow

I can’t speak to using them with a really short riser, but you might consider using super recurve limbs. On a DAS I 17” riser, medium Hex 7 limbs create a bow measuring ~ 53” length overall and offering no finger pinch, excellent arrow speed, and zero stacking.

Tags
bow, building, hunting, short