Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > Hunting Camp

Old 09-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Hunting Bow: 66" Satori Recurve
Default 2020-2021 Hunting Stories and Pics

What and where have you all been hunting this year? Post stories and pics from your trips. Whether you killed anything or not is irrelevant as just getting out in the wild makes it time well spent.
Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2020, 09:05 PM

Today was a great day and a horrible day. I shot my first trad deer and missed my for the second time, but this one was a big one.
I shot the buck at 22 yards quartering away high lung shot piled up about 70 yards. Then at last light a stick broke behind me and as I’m turning I grab my bow and I see antlers. It was a solid 150” Michigan giant at 8yards. I pulled back didn’t get a good anchor rushed everything and shot right under him. I cried a little almost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0F4C8F39-D81C-41F7-BC28-875FDBE92225_1601867131574.jpeg (1.70 MB, 28 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to milunchbox For This Useful Post:
stevelong (10-05-2020), YoungMarine (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Re: 2020-2021 Hunting Stories and Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by milunchbox View Post
Today was a great day and a horrible day. I shot my first trad deer and missed my for the second time, but this one was a big one.
I shot the buck at 22 yards quartering away high lung shot piled up about 70 yards. Then at last light a stick broke behind me and as I’m turning I grab my bow and I see antlers. It was a solid 150” Michigan giant at 8yards. I pulled back didn’t get a good anchor rushed everything and shot right under him. I cried a little almost.
Congrats on your first trad deer! I look at every missed deer as an opportunity to learn from my mistakes. It is easy to rush the shot during the excitement of the hunt, but I have to constantly remind myself that it took a lot of time to even get to the point of being able to execute a shot on a deer at close range and to slow down and take my time. Hope you get another opportunity at the big boy this year!

Old 10-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Last Saturday afternoon I had the most fun I've had while bowhunting in some time. First off, a few weeks ago I fell while cleaning up stuff in the yard and jammed my right shoulder hard on the concrete. As long as I'm active I'm ok but if sitting still for some time hurts.
One of my leases was planted in corn this year, which is good because the property has very few oak trees. The farmer picked the corn earlier in the week and I was able to get my blind set up finally, which sadly more for rifle season.
At one end of the field there is a large red oak, nearby (50 yds) is a buddy stand and across (40yds) a small blind. The guy that owns both of those uses a crossbow ( elderly with shoulder problem) , buys the smallest , cheapest blind that I don't think I could shoot my shortest recurve out of it, let alone my self bow. And poison oak doesn't bother him and the buddy stand is camouflaged with poison oak vines. I can't look at it without wanting a shot from the doctor.
Starting at the red oak there is a ridge going down into the woods heading towards the neighbors property that the deer sometimes use, with a lock on stand. After setting my blind I head to that stand for an afternoon hunt, sitting in at 3pm. About 5 my back and shoulder wasn't having any more of sitting still and with probably just maybe an hour of shooting light in the woods left I decided to go to the field to see if any deer come out. I took a couple of shots with my small game arrows to loosen up the shoulder.
As I approached the field and red oak I saw a squirrel at the edge of the field and I thought 'game on'. I checked the field with my binoculars and there was a doe under the oak tree, feeding on acorns.
Major game on!
Enough trees and field edge brush that I had use to the binos to tell she was there several times. She was about 5 yards into the field, I was about 30 in the woods. Wind was moving the tree tops but I couldn't hardly feel it. I needed to get to 20-25 yard shot range. At one step her head jerks up, looks my direction and a squirrel jumps from a tree to the ground and she goes right back to feeding.
A few more yards covered, then she jumps into the middle of the field and looks back. I just stand still. I'm wearing a seat leafy suit btw.
She calms down and works her way back, I start my creap again, still needed another 5 yards to be comfortable range. She's not completely relaxed anymore, making it harder.
Must have been a wind change because all of a sudden she's full alert. For the next 5-10 minutes she does what I call The Dance. Does the stiff legged walk, head bobs, looks intensely in the woods, walks around, acts like she feeding then jerks head up, whole time slowly getting farther away. Finally slowly raise the tail and trotted off, going right by the buddy stand.
I chuckled and went home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eddie c For This Useful Post:
Coodster (10-21-2020), stevelong (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:00 AM

Eddie, it sounds like an enjoyable hunt without blood. Sorry for your fall & shoulder pain.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:06 AM
finger shooter

So sitting in the blind with the wife this morning, she had dibs on first shot. Bunch of small does and little bucks from daylight till around 8. So as Iím not paying attention, read that as playing solitaire on my phone..... wife taps me and points.... 3 decent bucks come walking towards our blind. She takes her time waiting for the bigger one to turn from facing us to a good angle. Seems like an eternity.... he finally offers a broadside shot and she sticks the arrow perfectly behind the shoulder. Pass through, took out both lungs. He went 50-60 yards through a bit of brush and dropped. Typical hill country rack, high but not wide but good body size. A 9 point which will be her 9th buck here in Texas... wonder if her next will be a ten point... Easy retrieve, drove my tractor right to it. Lol. I built an 8x8 walk-in cooler, her deer is the first to hang in it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsarns For This Useful Post:
stevelong (10-29-2020), YoungMarine (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:07 AM
finger shooter

Hanging in the cooler
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A903E293-54C0-4ACF-ABAF-62214038BA5C.jpeg (3.70 MB, 17 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rsarns For This Useful Post:
barking mad (11-01-2020), stevelong (11-02-2020), YoungMarine (10-29-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 10:30 PM
wannabe

Hunting Bow: Das Dalaa
3D Bow: Das Naki
Indoor Target Bow: Hoyt Avalon+

Have been holding out on deer this season but went out yesterday for the first time.

Set up by a well used track on a transitional area between a thick spruce forest that serves as a bedding area and some big open fields. Saw several deer but I think the gusty wind played it's tricks. What joy to be out again. Got to test my new diy saddle and it passed with flying colours. Looking forward to the next session.

-Groucho Marx-
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barking mad For This Useful Post:
rsarns (11-02-2020), stevelong (11-02-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Stepped behind the house with 45 minutes til dark..looking to shoot a doe..20 minutes on stand a doe passes at 30-35 yards, no shot, 3 minutes later doe passes in shooting lane 20 yards, but I could hear another deer, so I decided to wait and see the last one come through..25 yards..descent KY 8.. body was huge.. I bet he weighed 190-200#
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kentucky For This Useful Post:
K31Scout (11-14-2020), pondscum2 (11-09-2020), rsarns (11-06-2020), stevelong (11-06-2020), YoungMarine (11-06-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 09:00 PM

Hunting Bow: Morrison Phx with Blackmax wood / carbon
3D Bow: Same as hunting bow

Nicely done Kentucky.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:06 AM

Nice deer RSarns wife and Kentucky!
The Following User Says Thank You to YoungMarine For This Useful Post:
rsarns (11-06-2020)
Old 11-06-2020, 10:54 AM

I took a 4-night /3-day solo camping/bowhunting trip about 4 hours away to a public area in late October. I prepared for the trip by doing plenty of e-scouting and gear modifications to my mobile hunting setups since it was walk-in only. I never hunted the area or part of state so looking at topos, google earth, and tax assessor maps online helped out with identifying areas to scout prior to putting boots on the ground for my half day allotted to scouting. The camping decision was kind of last minute with my family wanting to cancel the cabin I had rented so I decided to stay in a tent since I would be alone. I forgot my pillow and sleeping pad so that made things interesting as well as a thunderstorm coming in one afternoon and filling the tent with water while I was in woods. Luckily, I had packed a percolator to heat up some warm coffee while I dried things out. Upon arriving the timber was mostly old pine plantation with a few oaks mixed in (also found a wild persimmon tree which deer love). Very thick from a trimming several years prior so I mainly had to hunt the edges because it was so thick. The wind was changing directions frequently during the 3-days I hunted so it was necessary to be mobile with a Lone Wolf lock-on and LW hand climber. I saw deer 4 out of 6 sits, but all were out of bow range. On the last morning I saw a large body deer cross a logging trail. I investigated further after getting down at 11AM and moved my stand to a location where the deer headed that created a merging of trails and small funnel with a drainage. I set up about 9-10 feet off the ground in a gum tree that offered great concealment so I had shots at any approach. At 5PM I get a joking text from my neighbor saying, "a deer is going to come out to your right in 45 minutes, get ready". I laughed it off as I was set up primarily for a quartering away shot to my left. Moments later I heard something from my right and a lone doe "just appeared" out of the thickness to my right. It jumped across small ditch and didn't offer a shot for several minutes. I was waiting and finally there was an opening about 20-22 yards and I was able to slip an arrow through. It felt a little back and the thick, red bloody arrow through my binoculars indicated what appeared to be a liver hit. She kind of walked off and I could hear her sit down about 50 yards away in brush. I knocked another arrow and waited out the rest of evening for a buck as I did not want to push her with a less than ideal hit. A bald eagle made a few passes in front of me and I took this as a good omen. After dark I headed to truck and got my game cart and skinning/tracking gear. I went back and quickly located her in the area I thought I heard her go down and she was a little stiff indicating she likely died quickly. Because there were no cleaning areas, I had to process her in the field and quickly put the meat in ice chest I had packed in with the game cart. Days of hard hunting and camping ended in success in the last 90 minutes. The next day after arriving back home I fried up some backstrap for the family and neighbors. Good luck filling the freezer this season and keep us posted on your hunts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camp Coffee.jpg (307.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2195.jpg (364.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2225.jpg (227.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Wet Tent.jpg (202.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Wild Persimmon.jpg (189.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Arrow.jpg (275.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2244.jpg (148.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg doe.jpg (351.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Hunt..jpg (466.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by YoungMarine; 11-06-2020 at 11:10 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YoungMarine For This Useful Post:
giegs (11-06-2020), pondscum2 (11-09-2020), rsarns (11-06-2020), stevelong (11-06-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:58 AM

Wink Re: 2020-2021 Hunting Stories and Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by milunchbox View Post
I shot the buck at 22 yards quartering away high lung shot piled up about 70 yards. Then at last light a stick broke behind me and as Iím turning I grab my bow and I see antlers. It was a solid 150Ē Michigan giant at 8yards. I pulled back didnít get a good anchor rushed everything and shot right under him. I cried a little almost.
a "horrible day" is when he jumps the string and you gut-shot him. he's still out there chasing does, fat & sassy. go get him!
Old 11-09-2020, 08:04 AM

Cool Re: 2020-2021 Hunting Stories and Pics

np picture, just stories. had a coyote and a BIG bobcat almost in touching distance a few days ago. no shots. curiosity did not kill THAT cat, lol. bagged a sack of ripe pawpaws later that day. crawled within 30 feet of 13 turkeys, before they got antsy and moved on, no shot again! (i hate turkeys) had a young doe & her button buck fawn get so close i could have poked her with my bow before she smelled a rat. lots of fun so far this year, but no blood on the grass...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pondscum2 For This Useful Post:
stevelong (11-09-2020), YoungMarine (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

Went with a neighbor to kill a deer for a funeral. This was before the rut and he ate good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckdeer.jpg (201.4 KB, 12 views)
Kelly (11-11-2020), pondscum2 (11-21-2020), rsarns (11-11-2020), YoungMarine (11-11-2020)

Tags
hunting, pics, stories