Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 01:07 PM

Hunting Bow: Jeffery Archery Royal Hunter
Default Left vs. Right helical?

So I got a Bitz jig for Christmas, but I haven't bought the clamp for it yet. Is there any good argument for left or right over the other?

I was going to buy the right helical jig for no particular reason except that I shoot right handed. Then I noticed that 3 Rivers fletches all their arrows with left helical, so I figured I would go with left instead in case I ever want to buy any pre-fletched arrows from them.

So I'm currently looking at the left helical clamp. Any good reason to not get it?

Also, which glue to y'all prefer? Is there a glue that does it all for arrows - fletchings, inserts, and nocks?
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2021, 01:22 PM

Outdoor Target Bow: Samick Avante, Hoyt Spectra Warf,
Default Re: Left vs. Right helical?

I got a left clamp because LW feathers were cheap at the time. I don't think it makes much difference. Some argue that a RW feather will tighten as it hits the target, so I guess that might be something.

I use DAP Rapidfuse for fletching. It is a CA glue (super glue), but it has some flexibility so it isn't as brittle as standard CA glues. It's also cheap, and you can pick it up at the hardware store. I've never had a feather pop off of my arrows (CF, or Aluminum).

I have used it for inserts, and nocks (on swaged aluminum arrows). It's good for nocks, but hot melt glue is better for inserts/points.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:48 PM

I do both but usually left . When I started fletching left was about all I could get. They used to clip the right wing of the bird so it won’t fly away. Now birds are caged so no clipping. So my Jo Jan is left wing. I also have two Blitzinburgers. I did find another reason using my Blitz and right wing feathers from my Hill style LB , the quill would catch the top of my hand occasionally. Yes, I know enough to add a spot of glue. But like Bryan Ferguson I went to left wing for that bow as well. Most recurves shouldn’t be an issue, even shooting off the shelf. I look for bargains on feathers so I am prepared to buy either wing. Oh yes, I do vanes with a slight right offset. I either cap wrap or spray paint the caps of the shaft, then crest, then wipe on a couple coats of waterbased Polycrillic. I use Bohning fletch Tite, Saunders NPV glue or the fletch tape and that Rapid fuse SG. I think I may have used Ducco as well.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: PSE Jackal w/ Hoyt CarbonPlus
3D Bow: CD WF25X Lite w/ Hoyt Carbon X-Tours

I only switched from LW to RW because most shops around me only stocked RW. Otherwise, I've never seen a difference in performance between the two.

A long time ago I used to use Goat Tuff for fletching and inserts, but have switched to Fletch Tite for feathers/vanes and low-temp hot melt for inserts. I've never used glue on push-in nocks, but I have used hot melt for nock bushings.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori - Bickerstaffe long bow

They say left circles were considered "widdershins" in the days of yore. Bad Ju-ju. Not that I go in for that kind of stuff but best keep to right feathers just in case. [My shooting needs all the help it can get ];

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins
Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 PM

I use left, but for no particular reason. Just what came with the jig I got and I've rolled with it since. I put wax on the threads of tips to keep them tight.

Flex bond for fletching, Goldtip Tip-Grip for inserts. I've used hotmelt, but only really like it for when I'm playing around with different potential setups. Once I'm settled on what I'm building I use actual adhesive.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:20 PM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

I checked bareshafts, found which way they naturally rotated. Then figured "dont fight the natural rotation my fingers/string put on them" and it turned out to be left wing...
Described in more detail at gateway link below:
https://www.gatewayfeathers.com/righ...he-difference/
The Following User Says Thank You to pipcount For This Useful Post:
rsarns (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 04:07 PM
finger shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipcount View Post
I checked bareshafts, found which way they naturally rotated. Then figured "dont fight the natural rotation my fingers/string put on them" and it turned out to be left wing...
Described in more detail at gateway link below:
https://www.gatewayfeathers.com/righ...he-difference/
Many tests have been done, I do left wing only because thatís the natural spin of my arrows. Tom Parkinson and others have tested for the cause, last I read it was the direction of twist and serving causes the spin in one direction. I did not test for cause as all my strings I build are twisted the same. When setting up a new bow/arrow combo I test for natural spin.

Does it matter? In shooting spots or animals it eliminates one more variable.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsarns View Post
Tom Parkinson and others have tested for the cause, last I read it was the direction of twist and serving causes the spin in one direction.

How can that be true ...
The string is a closed kinetic chain under tension with the attachment at the nocks in fixed planes orthogonal to the string.... how can that system impose a net rotational moment on an arrow?
Old 01-13-2021, 05:30 PM

I've had a thought regarding rotation of arrows....

How can an applied force in the sagittal cardinal plane impose a zero net axial rotational resultant vector? If the bow string in any way initiates or causes the rotation of the arrow, the arrow must experience a rotational moment force tangential to the radii of the arrow .... how can a bowstring do that
Old 01-13-2021, 05:31 PM
finger shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
How can that be true ...
The string is a closed kinetic chain under tension with the attachment at the nocks in fixed planes orthogonal to the string.... how can that system impose a net rotational moment on an arrow?

Ask the guy who tested it.... Tom Parkinson. I know several pros experimented and had similar findings. Not an engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I guess I could conduct the same tests but I know Tom was extremely thorough, trying several strings, releases and fingers. You can probably google it but Iíll try to find it.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:53 PM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori - Bickerstaffe long bow

Reminds me of the time I miscalculated the net radius of the orbital flange on my bowstring. Missed solving for X by 1/1000th of a participle. Good times.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:31 PM
finger shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcquest View Post
Reminds me of the time I miscalculated the net radius of the orbital flange on my bowstring. Missed solving for X by 1/1000th of a participle. Good times.
Yíall making this old military guy get a headache....
Old 01-13-2021, 06:43 PM

Hunting Bow: Samick Sage 45#, Samick Discovery #40
Outdoor Target Bow: Samick Sage 30#

Left wing for below the equator and right wing above the equator. Same way water flushes clockwise in the north and counter-clockwise in the south. Science people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joedirt199 For This Useful Post:
barking mad (01-14-2021), lumis17 (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I've had a thought regarding rotation of arrows....

How can an applied force in the sagittal cardinal plane impose a zero net axial rotational resultant vector? If the bow string in any way initiates or causes the rotation of the arrow, the arrow must experience a rotational moment force tangential to the radii of the arrow .... how can a bowstring do that
Since bowstrings are twisted strands, those strands form parallel ridges and valleys around the cylinder of the string. Could the steepness and relative size of those features impart a rotational force on the arrow through friction between the string and nock? I'd think the serving would cover this up though.

Or maybe an imperfect draw results in the twists of one half of the string slightly loosening while the other slightly tightens and a force is introduced at the nock on release when those forces equalize?

Tags
helical, left