Default Re: Time to check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
Been up since 6:30 looking at the frost
I wish frost came to me as well.
Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2021, 02:27 AM

Good Morning everyone, I hope you're all safe and well.

It's one of those cold miserable mornings here in my little corner of England, Rain and dull grey skies have been with us for several days and we have a snow forcast for the weekend.
Covid lockdown is biting hard and families are suffering with loss of income and kids not being in school. The death toll is tragic .. over 1000 deaths per day, everyone someones father, mother, sister, brother,aunt and uncle. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, the infection rate is showing sighns of slowing down and we're vaccinating 24 hours per day now.

Please stay safe everyone
barking mad (01-14-2021), Grantmac (01-14-2021), stevelong (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 07:52 AM

I think I have a little bear in me,been sleeping alot longer lately.Weird winter ,we are 30 inches under are normal snowfall.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:48 AM

I've never spent this long in one room, just passed the 7 day mark heading for 2 weeks. Mostly keeping my spirits up (the food has been excellent and I have enough floor space for a decent workout). Had one serious bout of cabin fever yesterday when the sun came out and it was windy.
The precaution has shown it's worth though since in the initial run of testing we had one person positive. On a warship that could have lead to losing most of the crew for several months and we simply can't afford that as a fleet.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grantmac For This Useful Post:
barking mad (01-14-2021), stevelong (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 AM

I'm in, been out trying to muddle through the reloading & archery room, it's been like DISORGANIZED.
Trying to avoid the MASSES of PEOPLE, it would be nice to outlast the virus things.
BUT I'm going out to the chain saw shop for some chain work.....it's his off season, sells & services Gravely mowers. I have some cutting to do tomorrow at the farm.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

The head of the vaccine response in my state is a disorganized fool, both in distribution and deciding who gets the shots. In the meantime, I will just keep company with my horses and cows and stay as safe as I can. Even after the vaccines are being administered to everyone that wants it, there will still be a fairly long space of time when the masking and staying out of crowds will be the norm. Gray day here also, but not too cold. Low thirties and some snow moving in. Stay safe and well everyone!
Old 01-14-2021, 12:33 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
I've never spent this long in one room, just passed the 7 day mark heading for 2 weeks. Mostly keeping my spirits up (the food has been excellent and I have enough floor space for a decent workout). Had one serious bout of cabin fever yesterday when the sun came out and it was windy.
The precaution has shown it's worth though since in the initial run of testing we had one person positive. On a warship that could have lead to losing most of the crew for several months and we simply can't afford that as a fleet.
Can you request tacos? Tacos make a lot of things better. I've been eating a lot of tacos since the pandemic started.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank D Thoreau For This Useful Post:
dpointon (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 01:52 PM

NY just opened up vacines for 65 an older yesterday or the day before.My wife and I just made an appointment and it was booked till mid April.CRAZY !
Old 01-14-2021, 02:08 PM

We get a choice between two meals. So far I haven't had any meal that was less than excellent.
Our ship is spread amongst 3 hotels. I'm in the one with the worst view but best food and I wouldn't change that. What we've seen of the other two doesn't look particularly appetizing, like you'd get in a hospital.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:53 PM
Civil but Disobedient

The hot weather is back. 92 today; 86 the next two days. This has been a warm winter. The past month has been unseasonable comfortable.

Now that I am retired (today) I have the option to wait until it cools down on Monday do exert.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:51 AM

Congratulations on your retirement Steve ... what's your plan for staying sane?

I had all sorts of "things I'm going to do" on my list but I haven't realy done any of them.

Stay safe everyone
Old 01-16-2021, 04:48 AM

Checking in! Will be hitting the outdoor range at gettysburgarchery.com when the Sun comes up, should be about 32F.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:59 AM
wannabe

Hunting Bow: Das Dalaa
3D Bow: Das Naki
Indoor Target Bow: Hoyt Avalon+

Frost. Yes, we got frost!

Went skiing with the crew this morning. A crisp -17*C or just about 2*F. Living in the 'burbs we can access the city maintained cross-country tracks literally from our backyard. A very pleasant couple of hours.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

-Groucho Marx-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barking mad For This Useful Post:
Hank D Thoreau (01-16-2021), Phil (01-16-2021), stevelong (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 10:34 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Congratulations on your retirement Steve ... what's your plan for staying sane?

I had all sorts of "things I'm going to do" on my list but I haven't realy done any of them.

Stay safe everyone
My plans are in chaos due to the pandemic. Originally, my wife and I were planning on taking off for about 6 weeks to see Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas; some of the areas that were a little out of our driving range. We have never been to either the Tetons or Yellowstone. That was to be a trip to help my wife get back in shape after becoming actively mobile again after two knee replacements. WPVET was even contributing to our itinerary. Then we were going to head up north toward the arctic: Iceland, Greenland, Northern Scandinavia. Now we will stay closer to home, mostly hike, until it is safe to travel.

I expect that outdoors will mostly be hiking for awhile. I am going to test out the field range. I think it will be quiet on weekdays. I've been staying away since a lot of the folks there are the types that are likely to be anti maskers. Indoors, I am back with my goal to learn blues piano in a year (failed in this goal last year because my acoustic piano was too loud to practice). I got an electric keyboard so I can use headphones and not disturb the people living in my house. I also have a few other instruments that need attention now that I have time: lap steel guitar, dobro, banjo, maybe even my electric guitar and bass. Up until now, most of my focus has been on guitar, which I play every day.

I may get back to bow testing. I was in the process of rebuilding and modifying some of my equipment. I need to clear some space to do the work.

I am also going to get back to my physical therapy exercises. My right should is a problem. I am not sure if it froze like my left did a couple of years ago. That is another reason I stopped shooting for awhile. After many months of PT, I am pretty familiar with the routine.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:43 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Quote:
Originally Posted by barking mad View Post
Frost. Yes, we got frost!

Went skiing with the crew this morning. A crisp -17*C or just about 2*F. Living in the 'burbs we can access the city maintained cross-country tracks literally from our backyard. A very pleasant couple of hours.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

While I think I prefer living in the heat, I always thought it would be cool to be able to cross country ski right from my house. Ski to work. I have not skied for quite a few years due to lack of snow. We have had years of drought. 2019 had a good snow pack but I was already committed to other things. My buddy and I used to have a rule, if it snowed on Wednesday we would go skiing whether we felt like it or not. That is the only way we could manage to find snow.

Tags
check, time