Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 01-06-2021, 10:12 AM
straight arrow

Hunting Bow: Samick Journey
3D Bow: Polaris Riser/Journey Limbs
Default Re: Parabolic vs shield cut feathers

I like the looks of shield-cut, but I wanted to try some so I ordered a pkg of parabolic. I fletched a few arrows with parabolic, and while they are obviously different in appearance, side-by-side the surface area seemed very similar, and there was no discernible difference in flight or POI. I even replaced a couple of damaged shield-cut feathers with parabolic feathers on individual arrows; I have a few arrows with one or two parabolic feathers. Still no problems in flight or POI.

All the arrows I shoot are full length GT Hunters and Hunter XT with 3x4" feathers. I generally shoot 20-30yds, occasionally to 40yds at my backyard range.

I've gone back to the shield-cut, and henceforth I'll replace any damaged parabolic feathers with shield-cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to MartyA For This Useful Post:
longbowguy (01-06-2021)
Remove Ads
Old 01-06-2021, 07:15 PM

I gather from the posts it’s the amount of feather surface that can make a difference. I would agree. I usually buy what’s on sale except some weird color skeme.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:53 PM
Super curve shooter

Hunting Bow: Morrison Max 6 mediums on 17 inch das
3D Bow: Border covert hunter Hex 7
Outdoor Target Bow: Uukha ex1 evo2 / 17 inch Das nat gear

I have and shoot both styles on different and sometimes the same arrows. not mix and match though, as in one arrows fletched with shield and one arrow is fletched with parabolic. from the shooters perspective I See no difference, although I have not tested for groups or anything like that. only speaking about sound. however if you stand down range behind a shed or somewhere safe, and listen to the arrows go past you cannot hear the parabolic’s at all. the shields are much much louder in flight. which sucks because I like the look of shield cuts better myself. but I do believe that game animals of any type Could easily be spooked by the sound of your arrow hissing it’s way to them. But on the other side of the coin tons upon tons of game animals have fallen to shield cut feathers. it’s just one of those things I guess, but I do like stacking as many of the odds in my favor as possible. so for now I’m shooting parabolic‘s. Also I’ve noticed that the more damaged the fletching’s become the louder they get. And that’s all I got (on feathers at least) in my very unscientific world of trad gear testing.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:07 AM

I have tested this for a TRADLAB study. I used 3 decibel meters The most expensive of the three records the sound in time series.

It is true shield are louder than parabolic and 5” are louder than 4” and so on.

I don’t recall the exact numbers now but i obtained the quieted broadheads and feather /fletching config and i believe I could get an arrow 9 yards away from the target before it was louder than the ambient sound level. The loudest was 12 yards if I remeber.

Trad vanes were the quietest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GREENCB For This Useful Post:
Locomo (01-14-2021), longbowguy (01-08-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:52 PM

Re: Parabolic vs shield cut fletch. I have lived and hunted Western Oregon with archery tackle for over 50 years. I've used both feathers and vanes depending on the weapon of choice. While I've never gone deeply into the technical side of bow and arrow performance, rather choosing as quickly as possible 'what works best'. Over the years some things become blatantly obvious to a ' git er done' bowhunter. One of them is that shield cut feathers or vanes are noticeably louder than parabolic cuts of either fletching type especially used in combination with vented broadheads.

When hunting in an over story of trees, surrounded by dense blackberry growth, and in a dense fog common on most Pacific coastal mornings, the sound of arrow flight is extremely magnified. I would liken it to a scud missile.....and I'm very hard of hearing.

The combination of the shield cut fletching and a vented broadhead was a poor choice for me as a spot and stalk hunter. For me it is strictly 4" parabolic 3 fletch with a non vented head delivers the quietest package.
Rocky Mtn Recurve
Shaffer Silvertip_
The Following User Says Thank You to Miles For This Useful Post:
Locomo (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:10 PM

I have shot shield forever, but i am thinking of switching to parabolic, because they are smaller, not so tall, i would think less drag, and lessfletching touching.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:33 AM

I don't shoot good enough to tell but I like the look of shield cut much better than parabolic so I use shield.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:23 AM

I probbbly have way more parabolic than shield, but I am with addapost, I LIKE THE LOOK of shield cuts.

Tags
cut, feathers, parabolic, shield