Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 05-18-2020, 03:12 PM

Default Gold Tip Traditional shafts . Help !

I think I might have messed up .
I wanted to try some carbon arrows . Read Gold Tip Traditionals were pretty good arrows .
With the lower poundage Ive been shooting , Ive been drawing 28.5-29
I shoot off the shelf , split finger .
So, I go to the GT Spine chart and for me shooting 28-32# on my Different recurves . The chart says 500s , for 28-31 depending on point weight . I figured Id go in the middle to give me some room to adjust using point weights .
So I ordered a couple dozen shafts at 29.5 .
Now Ive been reading guys are shooting 600s out of bows ten pounds or more heavier than Im shooting .
Whos right ? Is the GTs chart wrong ?
Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2020, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Gold Tip Traditional shafts . Help !

You will need a fair bit of point weight I think. I would shoot 700 or 800 out of 32# but .600 would work too I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 03:21 PM

I shoot 31" 600s with 125 up front with my 32# Hex 15/WF19 - Haven't measured it' but it's probably ~38# on the fingers. They're a touch weak so I'm probably going to cut them down to 30" once I have a saw.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giegs View Post
I shoot 31" 600s with 125 up front with my 32# Hex 15/WF19 - Haven't measured it' but it's probably ~38# on the fingers. They're a touch weak so I'm probably going to cut them down to 30" once I have a saw.

Yeah I shoot 29 long .600 with 100gr from 39#

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 03:24 PM
Bart Harmeling

Dynamically, a range of 28"-31" is pretty big. Might have have worked if they were full length, but 29.5" is going to be pretty stiff. I can't say if the GT chart is off, but I've found the calculator that 3Rivers has to be accurate. I'm thinking 600's would be closer. I can give you some help with the calculator if you'd like.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
Dynamically, a range of 28"-31" is pretty big. Might have have worked if they were full length, but 29.5" is going to be pretty stiff. I can't say if the GT chart is off, but I've found the calculator that 3Rivers has to be accurate. I'm thinking 600's would be closer. I can give you some help with the calculator if you'd like.
I looked the 3Rivers chart before I ordered . Thats where I got the 28-31 from . Using points from 125-175 , according to the chart , at 29.5 , Im supposed to use the 500s .
Oh well , I guess Ill make flu flus out of them if I cant get them to fly straight .
I thought carbon arrows had a wider weight range than aluminum.
Im shooting 2016s @ 29 with 150 grain points now .
Old 05-18-2020, 03:33 PM
Bart Harmeling

This is what I'm talking about. https://www.3riversarchery.com/dynam...s-archery.html
Old 05-18-2020, 03:41 PM

Ok, I found the calculator. Closest thing to my Samick Discovery with carbon foam limbs was the 3Rivers TD .
According to the calculator , if I use 175 grain points and raise the brace height , I should be ok .
IMO, GT’s chart is way off .
Old 05-18-2020, 03:43 PM
Bart Harmeling

Your 2016's are slightly weaker with deflection of .531. I think you would be surprised if you had some 700's or 600's to shoot. They will be much faster with less arc in the trajectory.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:47 PM
Bart Harmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillchaser View Post
Ok, I found the calculator. Closest thing to my Samick Discovery with carbon foam limbs was the 3Rivers TD .
According to the calculator , if I use 175 grain points and raise the brace height , I should be ok .
IMO, GTs chart is way off .
It is in my opinion as well. The generic recurve selection works fine. I can run your specs. What is you exact DW and DL? I'll attach the results and then you can go to the calculator and tweak it as needed.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
Can you help explain the purpose of that chart? I have to admit that I don't get it at all.

It seems like you have to know an awful lot of information to use it. Weight of the feathers? Center shot measurement? Who knows that? Footing? What is footing? Nock weight? Who knows that? And if you do know all of that info then what exactly is the calculator supposed to be calculating? Seems like everything is already known. Thanks
Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 PM

According to the calculator using “generic recurve “ the GT Trad shafts are double the spine My bow needs .
So how can the GT chart be even close .
Either the calculator or the chart is off .
According to the calculator the GT Trad 500’s @ 29.5” should be used for a 60# bow .
Old 05-18-2020, 04:12 PM
Bart Harmeling

The purpose is to match the spine requirements of a bow to the dynamic spine of an arrow. You want to get the number of each within 2. I'll attach a sample to should be close to Gillchaser's bow.

By each item there is a little "i" in a circle. When you hover over it, a small explanation will appear. That helps. Generally each item has a drop down selection that most of the time has what you need. Like "FletchingType". You pick from the list. I like 4 3" feathers, but there are other feather combos and vanes to choose from.

Center shot measurement is a big deal. In my sample I use Generic Recurve, so I just entered the center measurement value of 0 which would be close to having the arrow just outside the string when viewed from the belly of the bow. If you use a specific bow from the list, you will need to enter the width of the strike plate that you are using. The calculator knows what the center cut of specific bows, but you have to tell it how much strike plate you have.

Footing is what some people put on their arrow to protect the insert. Usually an inch or 2 of aluminum shaft. If you do this it make the arrow more dynamically stiff. HIT inserts used by some arrows are longer than standard inserts so they count as footings. I use Axis shafts with HITS, so I enter the length of the HIT, but no extra weight. Here is the sample. Look at it and I can answer other questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gill.jpg (155.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:20 PM
Bart Harmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillchaser View Post
According to the calculator using generic recurve the GT Trad shafts are double the spine My bow needs .
So how can the GT chart be even close .
Either the calculator or the chart is off .
According to the calculator the GT Trad 500s @ 29.5 should be used for a 60# bow .
Yeah, 29.5" 500's are pretty stiff. The sample I entered uses a shaft with a .680 deflection. It is one of the only choices in carbon that is that light, but you can purchase 700's from several manufacturers.

Notice the sample I posted also shows arrow weight, GPP, and estimated speed. These are handy to compare to other choices. You could make a 600 work, but it will be heavier and slower. You can compare to get an idea of by how much.

Remember that this is a calculator. Your mileage may vary when it comes to the real thing, so it is a good idea to always buy full length, uncut shafts and trim to tune. You can't add length once it's been cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuthatch For This Useful Post:
gillchaser (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 PM

Thanks , you just proved my point about the arrow Gold Tip arrow chart .
On the Chart the 600 spine Only goes up to 28” for recurves . And from what I’m reading a 28” 600 arrow would be too stiff for my 30# recurve .

Tags
gold, shafts, tip, traditional