Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013 - Page 6 - TradTalk Forums
TradTalk Forums

Site Sponsors
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank D Thoreau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelong View Post
I've been patiently waiting for someone to say "I don't get climbing up sides of cliffs" haha
Steve, you know, I am just here to get the conversation started.

My old climbing partner, and best man at my wedding, had a sign on his cubical at school that was a take off on the famous quote from George Leigh Mallory who perished near the summit of Mt Everest in 1924:

Why do you climbs mountains?

Because it feels so good when I stop.

Mallory response was, because it is there.

Why do we do things that are uncomfortable? Because we are idiots, and I am at the front of that line !!!!!
You know, as both a hunter(rifle so far but ambitions to use my recurve at some point) and a climber I completely understand where you're coming from Hank. I get bored sitting around and could not bring myself to sit in a stand or blind all day, even though I know it may limit my opportunity to harvest. Regardless of method used, I find staving off boredom is my biggest challenge in hunting. I prefer to either spot and stalk, or still hunt as a distant 2nd option. Mountain hunting takes the cake though in my opinion, doesn't matter if you even see an animal when you are above treeline in beautiful country. Hoping to win the mountain goat draw I put in for this summer/fall.

Along the same train of thought but different sport and perhaps more relatable for you, I have started losing interest in single pitch rock climbing for much the same reason.....I get bored. Too much standing around belaying and typically poor views compared to multipitching. Admittedly, I am more of an ice climber than a rock climber, but I'd much rather an all day moderate ice or rock multipitch over a much more difficult and technical single pitch done repeatedly in a day, I find that just feels like a hard work out, rewarding but not necessarily fun whereas the multipitch always feels like an adventure. Sadly, most of the rock climbs in my vicinity are shorter single pitch climbs.

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Peru in July 2021 for some mountaineering in the Cordillera Blanca providing this virus situation is under control to the point that I'm comfortable traveling, I think that is more where my interests are headed within climbing, though I'd love to experience some bigwall climbing in Yosemite someday as well, that looks incredible.
Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs
Default Re: Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013

I am with you on that. I am definitely more of a multi-pitch sort of climber, though, at my age I am just trying to get back to where I feel confident leading again. And Yosemite is spectacular. You need to figure out how to get there and do some climbing.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013

Counting the deer that i killed this past year, i have killed 52 Iowa whitetails with recurves and mostly with longbows , all from the the ground. One thing that i know for sure is that one can never say a for sure anything about Iowa whitetails. Once when riding with a farmer, he got out to open a gate to let cattle get to another field. A nice buck stood, not 50 yards away and watched. That same buck had seen him many times out doing his work and did not fear him or his tractor or pickup. A week later a hunter in a full height ladder stand, across the pond from me, drew on him. The buck turned and looked square at the hunter. The hunter froze at full draw, I think there was one of those inconvenient trees blocking his shot. I watched as he slowly caved under the draw and weight of his bow and let down, with the buck staring straight at him, the entire time. The buck simply moved on. Two days later the same buck was coming past moving straight up wind of me, about 90 yards away. Somehow a small branch fell from a tree, maybe a squirrel, without any hesitation, the buck ran straight at me, it came by me at full speed, no chance for a shot.
Which reminds me of another strange one, a hunter hit a small buck, cutting the leg. I offered to help track it, just in case. The day was very hot for November, the blood trail was almost non-existent. The four of us managed to track the deer for over a half mile. None of us bothered to take a bow other than the compound hunter that hit what he thought was solid a leg hit, turned out to be a minor nick. During that tracking, I could have easily have shot the area dominant buck and one other. They both came rushing in close to see what the commotion was all about, rut action on a very hot day. On the other side, I have seen deer watching a car that was a half mile away stop on a gravel road, bust off of their day time beds and run until they topped a minor rise in the terrain that was over a mile away. I was just glassing the valley and was sitting on that lookout for over two hours, they were up wind of me the entire time. Apparently those deer did not like cars that stop. One thing I do know about deer when ground hunting and my wife has proven on numerous occasions with close deer. NEVER LOOK THE DEER IN THE EYE WHEN HUNTING ON THE GROUND. She has killed a number of deer that were staring her down while she sat on her seat, while she stared at the tops of her shoes. Then when the deer starts moving on, she takes one smooth shot. Her closest kill was less than ten feet. She was simply resting on a blow down taking a rest, the large doe came within a few feet of her, while she had no cover.
In our smaller public lands, the deer are much better at patterning the hunters, than the hunters are at patterning the deer. The hunters do their land staking with their tree stands and march out to them, no matter what the time is, who else is hunting, or what direction the wind is blowing. Leaving the best places to hunt, where no one wants to or can put up a tree stand. It can be fun, productive or relaxing to seat in a tree stand, but it guarantees nothing.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:10 PM

When I first got into bowhunting, after shooting “seriously” for a couple years first, I was determined to hunt from the ground. After two unsuccessful seasons I learned a few things. The areas I was hunting on the East end of Long Island were just not suited for stalking and still hunting. Had a lot of close encounters, but getting a shot on a relaxed animal was just not happening. The underbrush was too thick for even the slowest stalking to be quiet, and without DEET which stinks to high heaven, I was getting covered with ticks. Lyme disease is something I contracted four times living out there. So tree stand on the 3rd season and two weeks in I connected with a big eight point, first deer, first buck, and still my biggest to date. Now that I’m in Massachusetts I’m going to try the ground game again this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uhtred1973 For This Useful Post:
barking mad (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:07 AM

Given a choice… I will hunt from the ground whenever possible. That said, here in the east and in much of the Midwest, it is a whole lot easier for people to share the limited public ground and fill a tag or two if they get themselves and their stink up off the ground and stay put, rather than chasing the local herd all over Hell and gone. I do think, though, did the guys who insist that you will never kill a “trophy” deer from the ground are missing the point of the exercise.

And frankly, I always find it just a bit ironic when someone who claims to embrace “traditional“ bow hunting because it is a “greater challenge“ will turn around and say that you really have to be up in a tree to be successful.

How do you “succeed” in a Challenge by making it easier?

But I have no intention of ever hunting mule deer or Elk from up in a tree - not so long as I can still hike. The whole point of being out in the woods is to be Out There In It. Not sitting in the middle of thousands of hectares of wilderness staring at the same acre of habitat all day long; not hiding inside of a tent; not staying put so that there’s no chance that you’ll get lost… if you don’t want to get lost, you just need to carry a map and compass and pay attention as you go.

Although, truth be told… I always carry not one compass but TWO. I don’t have much of a sense of direction, and I’m ornery enough to argue with one compass../ but not dumb enough to argue with two.

Tags
2013, i dont get tree stands, post, reprising