Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 08-01-2020, 12:46 PM
wannabe

Default How much do you shoot with broadheads?

Going off on a tangent from the "broadhead target"- thread.

How much do you shoot with broadheads? And why?
Hunting notwithstanding, target shooting only.

I only shoot broadheads on a target when tuning a setup, after the bare shaft tuning is done. Just as a final confirmation. And a shot or two before the hunting season opens, just to make sure. This would make a dozen or so shots a year. Apart from that I fail to see the point of continuously shooting them.

There are likely to be opposing views on this. Let's hear them, too.

-Groucho Marx-
Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Default Re: How much do you shoot with broadheads?

No opposition here, Niko. Once I get them flying with my field points, it's a matter of shooting a broadhead only occasionally at a practice target to reconfirm my tune. No point in needlessly shooting out the targets or damaging broadheads.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:38 PM

I actually shoot them quite a bit. More so towards the opening of the season. I have everything impacting the same, but I want to get used to the sight picture with a broadhead arrow out there at the end of the arrow. Especially on a longer shot with a smaller gap. In comparison to a field point it kind of sticks out there like a sore thumb. I'm shooting big Snuffers, plus I get a sense of confidence shooting them.

Bowmania

Old 08-01-2020, 03:51 PM

I cut my arrow length so the the blade of the broadhead just tags my index finger, a draw check of sorts. My index finger is rather loose on the back of the bow. I shoot enough broad heads so the visual and draw check becomes automatic. Right before deer season, I load up my deer targets and go out and get some more realistic field practice, without a security back stop. I do this a few times, until it becomes natural and automatic as well. I also take quite a few long range shots at the free standing deer targets out to as far as point on. I hunt open country whitetails, shooting at an open country deer is quite a change from 24 yards and closer at a large target stack with a wood wall behind it.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:59 AM

I'm with you barking. As soon as I see they're flying right where my fps are, resharpen, put 'em in the quiver and I'm good to go.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:28 AM

I may shoot a dozen shots a year with broadheads. Usually a day or two before bow season opens. I only do that to see if my bow of choice will shoot them reasonably close to where my field points hit. I only use one arrow for practice because I see no need to have a whole tackle box full of expensive broadheads. I'll sharpen the practice head and put it in the quiver in position number four, expecting to never have to use it to take game. I take one deer a year so there isn't much wear and tear on my little cache of broadheads.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 AM

One at a time and just enough to make sure there flying straight.I shoot them into a 8x10x10 solid block of foam from 18yds.If I don't feel confident at that range I stay home.The more you shoot makes more work sharpening.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:57 AM

For me its a different sight picture than field points so from now through hunting season its broadheads.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:03 AM

yeh me too neither. I don't shoot broadheads any more than I have to, I get some field points grouping with the broadheads, then sharpen the BHs, and leave them be.
Checking myself can be done with the field points.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:03 AM
Barebow recurve

Same here - shoot them to tune, then a bit before a hunt to confirm.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmania View Post
I actually shoot them quite a bit. More so towards the opening of the season. I have everything impacting the same, but I want to get used to the sight picture with a broadhead arrow out there at the end of the arrow. Especially on a longer shot with a smaller gap. In comparison to a field point it kind of sticks out there like a sore thumb. I'm shooting big Snuffers, plus I get a sense of confidence shooting them.

Bowmania
x2
Built a open front wood box to hold the sand for a target, dedicated broadhead for practice. Shoot it often to be accustomed to the sight picture.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Other than tune and checking occasionally I see no point in shooting broadheads anymore than that. My bows always shoot broadheads the same as field points.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:23 PM

I was just shooting some broadheads and thinking!!!!!!!!!!!

When you tune you shoot a bare and flectched - make them impact in the same spot.

When you tune broadheads you shoot a BH and a fletched FP - make them impact in the same spot.

YOu use the same rules to get the same impact.

I'm a believer of shooting bare shafts for practice, because feathers cover your mistakes. How can you get better if you're making mistakes that the feathers are covering up? Are broadheads as hard to shoot as bare shafts? You use the same rules in tuning. So is that a reason to shoot them?

Bowmania
Old 08-03-2020, 01:23 PM

"Are broadheads as hard to shoot as bare shafts?"

I don't think so. Adequate feathers add a lot of stability. My tune needs to be way off for broadheads to fly weird. Bareshafts much more sensitve. Love bareshaft practice shooting.

Seeing/being aware of the extra mass on the end of arrow takes some getting used to for me so I shoot broadheads for practice. While using sand to stop heads I don't see a downside since it does not wear out.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:17 PM

One can read that a properly tuned broad head will always fly properly, no matter what head is used. I can tell you from experience, that is BS. For a number of years I was using the wide Magnus head, no problems, until one year I was stalking a nice buck around a sheer bluff with a quartering tail wind. The buck was working so that, eventually, he would be downwind of me. there was a bit of a minor storm coming in with gusting winds. I took a careful shot, about 20 yards from me the arrow did a major side step. I missed the bucks brisket by an inch. A heavy swirl caught the arrow. Confused I took another shot, after the buck bolted, that arrow flew perfect. I went and got my two arrows and shot them again, this time the first one flew perfect and the second one caught a swirling gust and side stepped. I tried one more, I waited for a bigger gust and shot a Hill tipped arrow, it wobbled just a little go through the swirl zone, but stayed online with the aim. What really cracked my cooky was, I lost that Hill arrow. Wind does not always blow in straight lines.

Tags
broadheads, shoot