Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 07-31-2020, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Time to check in

Morning all: hope you're all fit and well
Beautiful sunshine for the past few days here in the UK. Temps in the low 20's deg C. We seem to be having a slight easing of Covid restrictions. All shops, cafe's bars and restaurants are now open with people wearing masks to help stop the spread of the virus.

Lots of arrow shooting at the moment and I even managed to meet up with my fellow Mercian archers for an informal rove.

Stay safe everyone

Last edited by Phil; 07-31-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Remove Ads
Old 07-31-2020, 05:04 AM

Good PHIL, glad you're getting out some. I saw your other post where you & Otto found the cleaver. Nice find.
I plan to go to coffee with the "goons" at a friend's house at 10am.
This afternoon my wife & I go the 50 miles to Des Moines to a baseball tournament, where our 8 & 9 year old grandsons will play.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:52 AM

Went outside at sunrise, it was under 60 degrees, finalfriggenly, that was cool.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

We are in the middle of a huge heat spell. I managed to get my after work hikes in anyway. I did 10.2 miles up both sides of one of my conditioning peaks a couple of days ago, and a short steep hike with my wife last night. I am going short and hard tomorrow. I am going to repeat the hike I fell on a couple of weeks ago, but this time I am taking micro spikes for the way down. I think I can beat the sun if I start early and move fast enough. The upside of the heat is that I am not running into many folks. Social distancing is an added feature of a hike during a heat wave.

Last edited by Hank D Thoreau; 07-31-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelong View Post
Good PHIL, I saw your other post where you & Otto found the cleaver. Nice find.
Hi Steve ....yeah ... me and Otto were just meandering around the woods and there it was .
To be fair, the first thought that went through my mind was ... it would maks a cool knife and then suggestion and comments came in and now I'm not so sure. Jeff Durnell made a comment which I really liked about turning it into a draw knife . Another option of course is to leave it as it is . We'll see ... all in good time.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:31 PM
Civil but Disobedient

I finished my hike up the mountain I fell on several times two weeks ago. It was hot. Really hot. Today was the high temperature point during an excessive heat warning period. I tried to beat the heat but it got hot too early in the morning. I used micro spikes and hiking poles to get down the steep hazardous sections. It did not make those parts fast, but it made them safe. This is the shortest, but most difficult conditioning hike that I do. Conditioning hikes are usually things I can fit in after work, or a bit longer on the weekend, and are focused toward fitness, sometimes at the expense of enjoying nature to its fullest. But it is hard to be in nature and not enjoy it, even when you are working hard.

Last edited by Hank D Thoreau; 08-01-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:19 PM

Going to range in AM. Morning low around 87*. Do 28 targets and be home by 1000 hours. Keeping our distance of course. With opening season on the 21st it might be crowded at the practice butts. We will pass on them, wheel folks don’t usually walk the range.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

Phil, I missed the thread about the cleaver. Would like to know the details!
Wondering about age, etc.. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Hi Larry .... here's a copy of my post ...

" ... I live next to a historic nature reserve that's had a very interesting history. Throughout the medieval period it was an Alabaster quarry that exported pure white Alabaster all over Europe. Later in the 18th and 19th century it was one of the UK's best brickworks. It was all gone by the 1950's and tha area was landscaped and turned into a rather beautiful nature reserve that we all enjoy today.
For 250 years prior to it's rehabilitation in the 1950's the area was used as a municipal rubbish dump.

Every now and again interesting objects get uncovered and one such object came to light as Otto and me had our morning walk

I believe it's a butchers meat clever: 18inches long and just over a quarter of an inch thick across the back of the blade.

My thoughts are to make a knife from it, I can use when field shooting .... but what would you do with it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 00small21157653.jpeg (34.5 KB, 4 views)
giegs (08-02-2020), Larry Hatfield (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 02:19 PM

I would start with an electrolysis bath to see what's left of it while preserving all the wear. See what you'd be working with before doing anything and not damage it much.

And maybe a hardness test, if you have a testing kit.
The Following User Says Thank You to giegs For This Useful Post:
Phil (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 03:03 PM

Yes electrolysis is the plan ... never done it before ... should be interesting
Old 08-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

Very interesting. If you can use the shape of the blade and tang, and the metal, to approximate a date, it would be fun to restore it as much as possible.

Last edited by Larry Hatfield; 08-02-2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM

Phil I think you'll really enjoy the electrolysis thing. It's pretty amazing how effective it is.

Was able to find the leaf springs I needed for my truck. OEM ride height but a bit stiffer than stock. Most of my driving is just with a camper shell, but a few times a year I'll be loaded down with wood or river gear. Hopefully this repair gets things to a place where I can get another 200k out of the thing. It would be really nice to have a viable 4x4 that runs on renewables by the time I need to replace.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Civil but Disobedient

I was talking about doing conditioning hikes the past few weeks. Today was my first hike-hike, i.e. hiking for the purpose of hiking rather than a conditioning exercise. To beat the heat I got up a 4 AM and got started at 5:20 AM. I got in 17 miles up two peaks by 11:52 AM, which worked out just fine because it got hot in the afternoon. The conditioning is going well. I still feel that I don't have the pop on the climbs that I had before I got sick in February. There are a couple of ways to look at conditioning: how you do on the hike, and how you feel after. I still need to work on speed but I am feeling pretty good after I finish. My speed is still okay, just not up to what I was doing prior to my illness.
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

I'm getting excited cause I have a Decut Rhino riser coming in from Canada this week along with a set of Kaya KStorm limbs from Archery Factory Outlet and already got the new Beiter Plunger with all the goodies and a Spig ZT rest in from LAS yesterday.

I want to give SW'ing a BB another go.

Tags
check, time