Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 10-07-2020, 10:53 AM

I robbed someone elses thread but was advised to just make a new one.
I filmed my draw form (couldn’t get outside, horrendous winds plus whos gonna film)and notice as i align my shoulders my head pivots and i lean forwards at the same time. Anything else? P.s excuse the belly in the back tension vid 😂
Also be kind im only 6 weeks in on trad

https://streamable.com/y7rpas https://streamable.com/vusxx9 https://streamable.com/eq277j https://streamable.com/xtuauz

Last edited by Bam; 10-07-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Remove Ads
Old 10-07-2020, 11:12 AM

Hunting Bow: 21" Hoyt Satori w/Uukha Xcurve limbs
3D Bow: Hoyt Matrix riser w/Uukha Ex1Evo2 limbs
Default Re: Form check. Roast me or constructive criticism

I don't shoot well enough to give you any advice--so I won't.

I do notice, for some reason it seems you're bending over and bringing the string to your face (chasing your anchor). I'll assume most everyone would encourage you to stand up and bring the string to your anchor.

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Old 10-07-2020, 11:37 AM

Yes, a LOT of movement during your draw. In the last video, watch your head. See how it starts out centered between the door and the window? Then as you reach full draw, you have leaned way over to the window. You need to try to keep still in your head and body and bring the string to you, don't go to get it.
juliasdad (10-09-2020), wdw52001 (10-08-2020)

Old 10-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

I moved this over from the other thread. That way folks can take exception to what I see if I am not reading your form correctly. I fixed the typo you asked about. The typo obscured my main point. I fixed other typos as well.

The last two videos show that you are canting by moving your body rather than moving the bow. This will help maintain a good upper body position and a strong foundation. I would have liked to see your legs as well. Body stability is critical to a good shot. Many folks who cant are just hunching over. This is not good. I think it is better to assume a power position like you are doing a deadlift. It looks like this may be the case from what I see in the video. Other than that, it is really hard to read a lot into the shot on the basis of drawing. The obvious thing is that it looks like you are struggling with the weight of the bow. The draw should look and feel very smooth. It does not in the videos. The more I look at it, the more it appears that you are over bowed. You should be commanding the bow but it looks like you are fighting it. I like your grip position. It looks like you are studied a bit of target technique.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank D Thoreau For This Useful Post:
wdw52001 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 02:45 PM

Ah yes, I’ve done a lot of deadlifting in my time, best was 202.5kg with an injured bicep at 80kg. The lean i dont mind but can work on if people really think an upright shot is better, keeping in mind i shoot to hunt not hit gold but thats part of the process. Its the head movement that i need to address. Over bowed i may be, but i will note i have an essential tremor which under even light exertion results in extremity shakes. If i picked up my kids 15lb bow you would still see some just not as bad. The positive of it is im never concerned about float pattern as i always have a jittery mess of a sight picture its why i shot a hinge in compound. Like theres my aim, leave it and just pull.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

My take is that vertical is preferential, but if canting is necessary then it is best done by bending like you do with a dead lift. I believe that is what you are doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank D Thoreau For This Useful Post:
wdw52001 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Heres from a few days ago. Sorry only angle i could get. I dont seem to move as much, maybe having more of something to focus on keeps my head more still. I will note i wasn’t trying to get to the click and didnt really have it set, maybe i have it too far out currently. I will admit i felt more comfortable here

https://streamable.com/xzmcgb

Last edited by Bam; 10-07-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:20 PM

Oops that didn’t load up before, fixed it now
Old 10-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: 70" Howard Hill longbows, yew or bamboo.
3D Bow: The same.
Outdoor Target Bow: Also vintage target recurves.
Indoor Target Bow: The same.
Default Re: Form check. Roast me oer constructive criticism

Except for the one oddity your progress has been excellent for a newcomer. You make a full draw to good alignment of shoulders and arms. You spine is straight, you make a good strong follow through. Your head does not move much in relation to your back and shoulders.

The oddity is the bend which is in the hips not the spine, and that is good. Does it need fixing?

I had a friend who was a wrestling champion and coach. He shot a heavy bow and was an elk hunter. For anything athletic he dropped into a wide athletic crouch, with knees flexed and spine tilted over them a bit, very strong, very intense. I imagine he could no more stand erect in the presence of game than fly.

The difference is that he took that stance before he started to draw, and moved very little during the draw. I suggest you try something more like that, perhaps with a bit less spine tilt, and do it early in your shot preparation, maybe very early when hunting. I sometimes advise pupils to imagine they are a big cat, watching their prey, preparing for the moment to pounce. When ready hold very still as you draw and aim, then proceed when you are ready to complete the shot.

Then relax and take some time before beginning again. You cannot sustain that much focus. - lbg

PS: That lower back looked unflattering because it was a lot closer to the lens than your head and shoulders were. You don't really look that way.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowguy View Post
Except for the one oddity your progress has been excellent for a newcomer. You make a full draw to good alignment of shoulders and arms. You spine is straight, you make a good strong follow through. Your head does not move much in relation to your back and shoulders.

The oddity is the bend which is in the hips not the spine, and that is good. Does it need fixing?

I had a friend who was a wrestling champion and coach. He shot a heavy bow and was an elk hunter. For anything athletic he dropped into a wide athletic crouch, with knees flexed and spine tilted over them a bit, very strong, very intense. I imagine he could no more stand erect in the presence of game than fly.

The difference is that he took that stance before he started to draw, and moved very little during the draw. I suggest you try something more like that, perhaps with a bit less spine tilt, and do it early in your shot preparation, maybe very early when hunting. I sometimes advise pupils to imagine they are a big cat, watching their prey, preparing for the moment to pounce. When ready hold very still as you draw and aim, then proceed when you are ready to complete the shot.

Then relax and take some time before beginning again. You cannot sustain that much focus. - lbg

PS: That lower back looked unflattering because it was a lot closer to the lens than your head and shoulders were. You don't really look that way.
Some very kind words especially about my svelte physique 😁 i did a lot of deadlifting so spine posture and hinging at the hips comes naturally to me. Also i dont consciously lean it just happens 🏼 So thank you again for saying it’s acceptable as i would fight to fix it i feel.

I had a revelation this afternoon regarding my head moving back towards my rear hip side, if looking at the sideways to the camera videos. I anchor middle finger to corner of my mouth as we are often told but at the end of my draw, if i was to keep my head a lot more still over my centre, my anchor is about two teeth back on my cheek. Is this okay/common? Must be limb lengths dependent. So i was previously moving back to meet my hand. The trouble will be hitting fingers at the same height on my face but i can feel it and use feather touching my nose as a second check.

Last edited by Bam; 10-08-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:18 PM

Anchor change, head still. More upright. Here we go. Still not quite jiving with the clicker.

https://streamable.com/k554wa
Old 10-09-2020, 07:53 AM

You're doing very well. I haven't any critique. One piece of advice, have fun and don't take it too seriously. It's a wonderful feeling becoming one with your shooting. Oh yeah, allow yourself to rest. Very important when starting out.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam View Post
Anchor change, head still. More upright. Here we go. Still not quite jiving with the clicker.

https://streamable.com/k554wa
That last video looked pretty good to me. Straight, less movement. Seemed much improved,
Old 10-16-2020, 11:38 AM

First photo is my normal full draw, if i lower my draw elbow, in the second pic, i gain draw length but i lose front shoulder positioning. Do i stick with my normal draw high elbow or work on the lower elbow position?
Old 10-19-2020, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: 70" Howard Hill longbows, yew or bamboo.
3D Bow: The same.
Outdoor Target Bow: Also vintage target recurves.
Indoor Target Bow: The same.

No problemo. Elbow height is not a choice but the result of other choices, mostly it is a matter of where you place your draw fingers and how you distribute the load on them. Three finger under normally produces a higher elbow. It is about the vectors of forces

You are right that forcing it down upset your balance. - lbg

Tags
check, constructive, criticism, form, roast