Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013 - Page 5 - TradTalk Forums
TradTalk Forums

Site Sponsors
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 04-10-2020, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013

You would be surprised how much noise a whitetail will tolerate. One year we were helping track a butt hit deer that a compound hunter took a wild guess shot on. He could not see through his peep sight, so tried an instinctive shot and shot way to the left. Wild tracking the very scant blood trail, two large bucks charged in on us. If I was toting my longbow i could have easily killed either one. It was the peek of the rut. The rather large antlered buck that i shot last year ran into my lap while I was walking back to my car. Other than a good shot, I make no claims for my hunting skill on that one, in fact, I had never seen that buck before.
Remove Ads
Old 04-11-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan View Post
You would be surprised how much noise a whitetail will tolerate. One year we were helping track a butt hit deer that a compound hunter took a wild guess shot on. He could not see through his peep sight, so tried an instinctive shot and shot way to the left. Wild tracking the very scant blood trail, two large bucks charged in on us. If I was toting my longbow i could have easily killed either one. It was the peek of the rut. The rather large antlered buck that i shot last year ran into my lap while I was walking back to my car. Other than a good shot, I make no claims for my hunting skill on that one, in fact, I had never seen that buck before.
Yes if you hit the right time in the rut - its different. The bucks are sex crazed nut jobs. And its not the case for the majority of the season.

On a related note doe urine is no longer legal to use here in PA.
Steve (04-11-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 07:14 AM

If I over do the Super Male Vitality, I get to be a sex crazed nut job. I was first just going to say, 'takes one to know' but that would be rude.
We must remember that Hank T is not a hunter, so the sit and watch idea is quite foreign to him, but i bet the 'scnj' thing may apply. My son is trying to talk me into a Lone Wolf climber, he says he will send one to me if I promise to give it a try. It is quite easy to shoot downward from a open tree stand with a canted longbow, I am considering it, since my landing gear is not what it should be. My right ankle and right knee are still paying the price of a rather fast steep hill side head 'em off at the pass that got me two does last season. Why is it that the down hill leg always gets the worst of it? My great Ojibwa gramma would have been proud of me, but I didn't feel very Native American afterwards.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank D Thoreau View Post
Okay, so I am bored. I started thinking of old posts, greatest hits so to speak. And that brought me to tree stands. I don't get them. I can't imagine ever wanting to spend the day sitting in a tree. So I am going to reprise my post asking, why do you spend so much time sitting in trees and why do you find it so enjoyable. The post is from 2013 and I have to admit, I still don't get it. Think of this like all the sports networks replaying old games while they wait for new games to come back.

https://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42263
I hate tree stands. Takes a lot of the joy of hunting away. Though there is the same serenity up there to be found as there is on the ground.
Around here, getting an unaware mature deer inside shooting distance takes a blind or tree stand. With the tree stand offering a better shot angle.
With the time needed to set up a compound shot this is even more so. Im in hopes that traditional gear will take some of that need away.
I will be spending this year on the ground 100% as that is my passion and I am already awkward enough with the taller bow, no need to be awkward and in the air.
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt flint For This Useful Post:
Hank D Thoreau (04-13-2020)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Super curve shooter

Hunting Bow: Morrison Max 6 mediums on 17 inch das
3D Bow: Border covert hunter Hex 7
Outdoor Target Bow: Uukha ex1 evo2 / 17 inch Das nat gear

Hank

The only way I can explain it that might make sense to a non hunter other than trying to explain how it up’s the odds of being successful, And in reference to your O.P. is to say that, every time I get up in my stand it is not like watching a rerun sports game, but like being in the front row during the playoffs of whatever you’re preferred sporting events are. and really special hunts, like in the heat of the rut, or opening day is like the championship game. no to hunts are the same, and if they are you probably need to relocate your stand, a.k.a. change the channel if we’re still on our sports metaphors. One last thing to add here is that, every hunt is not going to be the most exciting intense game you’ve ever watched but neither is every single sporting event you watch you get through the slower times Because you know it any minute the play or a deer of a lifetime could break loose / Step into your shooting lane. I hope this makes sense, at least I gave it a try right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffro83 For This Useful Post:
Hank D Thoreau (04-11-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboniac View Post
Yes if you hit the right time in the rut - its different. The bucks are sex crazed nut jobs. And its not the case for the majority of the season.

On a related note doe urine is no longer legal to use here in PA.
I have had good luck rattling in Texas during rut. I think I recall Mike Westvang rattling a nice one in too
Old 04-13-2020, 07:46 PM

Immature deer will tolerate a bunch

I posted a video earlier this year of me on the ground with a dink buck who could see me but not smell me basically walking around me not panicked

Mature deer are a different thing

Iíve learned a lot about mature bucks and doe over the years

If you trigger one of their main senses you get a very different effect than if you trigger two or more

We kill a lot mature bucks on archery pushes

I say pushes because archery pushes are very different from deer drives with shotguns or rifles

With archery gear you have to move the deer so that the deer stays calm and does not panic and run

To do this you have to trigger only one of their senses

The pusher gives them their wind or at times letís them see them or hear them

As long as only one of their acute senses are triggered they will move off often still browsing

If you give them 2 or 3 triggers they will bolt making for a very hard shot

Iíve posted this video before of a well executed push

Great job by the driver ..... not the shooter ...I missed

We know a thing or two about moving deer

One day of archery pushes

Old 04-14-2020, 02:34 AM

DDD,
Now I know who stole my turkey blind...hope you're exhausted after moving it, lol!
Old 04-14-2020, 11:22 AM

If you hunt public land, a treestand is a requirements not to piss other hunters off.
On treestands, 5-8 times the amount of hunters can hunt independent in the same area than two or three guys on the ground. Especially true if the land is surrounded by hardly hunted private land. I am talking of about 80 to 100 acre tracts here and not some wide open western area with millions of acres. If there are no guys out there and all of a sudden there are guys walking around all the time without their smell dissappearing quickly, the animals will avoid that stretch of land fairly quick when there is any heightended activity, like during weekends.
It is also true, that if the human activity level is fairly consistent thoughout the year, the deer are used to a certain level of human scent without being perceived as a danger.(State parks for example)
If a place is hardly ever hunted, deer are super sensitive to human scent and react completely different as when used to a certain scent and activity level.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori

I enjoy the relaxation of it. Like others have said, I dont even care if I get a deer anymore.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:29 PM

I've been patiently waiting for someone to say "I don't get climbing up sides of cliffs" haha
Old 04-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelong View Post
I've been patiently waiting for someone to say "I don't get climbing up sides of cliffs" haha
Steve, you know, I am just here to get the conversation started.

My old climbing partner, and best man at my wedding, had a sign on his cubical at school that was a take off on the famous quote from George Leigh Mallory who perished near the summit of Mt Everest in 1924:

Why do you climbs mountains?

Because it feels so good when I stop.

Mallory response was, because it is there.

Why do we do things that are uncomfortable? Because we are idiots, and I am at the front of that line !!!!!
Old 04-14-2020, 04:48 PM

everyone has their thing, STEVE, I was kidding....
A lot of things I used to do for fun would be at top of most folks' lists "not to do" lists
Old 04-14-2020, 05:51 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelong View Post
everyone has their thing, STEVE, I was kidding....
A lot of things I used to do for fun would be at top of most folks' lists "not to do" lists
That is what makes us special. And I mean people in general. There are times I wonder who invented some of the stuff we do, and why.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM
Bart Harmeling

I think it was an article in Traditional Bowhunter a few years ago. It was about personalities of bowhunters. Said that some where like birds of prey, some like cats, and some like dogs. A couple of my buddies are dogs. They can't sit still. Got to be moving and pushing all the time.

Tags
2013, i dont get tree stands, post, reprising