Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013 - Page 3 - TradTalk Forums
TradTalk Forums

Site Sponsors
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 04-08-2020, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013

I think the people who like hunting from stands probably also enjoy fishing. For me I get bored doing either, i have a literal fear of boredom. Its probably got something to do with the way my brain works (ADHD).
I also tend to struggle to get through training plateaus, but that might be another topic.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Remove Ads
Old 04-08-2020, 02:22 PM

Hello
For me before tree stands. I set in the crouch of a tree.Still before tree stand came out. I built a tree stand fro a pipe fitters line up clamp. Still have one.
Little story here. Built one never went back to get it.

A friend wanted one 10 years later. I said sure. Lets go get it. Well when we got to where I left the stand. Now there was no wooden plat form. Just the metal nee brace sticking out from the tree. And the tree had ate the chain and pipefiters line up camp and lock.

Now to your question why set in a stand before day light.. I climb the tree with pole spurs. Hooks much shorter than tree hook spurs .
Why ] Love to see the woods wake up and its critters. Soon you learn all there little habits and tricks. [ Later
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unk Bond For This Useful Post:
JParanee (04-08-2020), juliasdad (04-10-2020), Juspassin (04-08-2020), stevelong (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Hunting Bow: A&H longbow
3D Bow: Hoyt Satori with Uukah limbs

I have to point out that hunting from trees is about as traditional as it gets. I am pretty darn sure primitive peoples hunted from whatever elevated position they could find to get their quarry.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:19 PM

Tree stands are fine, but I prefer my blind. I can sleep in it and entertain the critters
with my snoring. It's fun to wake up and find them staring at you close in.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:25 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

Building off of J.Connors post, we would need a chaparral stand here in Southern California. Place it high up in the manzanita.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 PM

I do.not recommend permanent stands. You are just training the deer where you are and what area to avoid. The best thing about tree stands is here today , gone tomorrow. Plus you learn more where the pinch areas and funnels are. The deer have different ranges, trails and beds pre-rut, rut, and post rut. Have different areas depending on weather. Tree stand takes an hour to get it in place. I won’t hunt the same place three times in a row. Deer hunting is a thinking man’s game. You are trying out smart an animal that spends 24/7/365 in the area
Old 04-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Hello
No mention here of a tree climber stand.
No stand ever took me over 1/2 hour to hang and that counting my old homade tree stands . And hanging it like seen in the picture.

Now hang on tree stands. I have a very easy safe way to hang them.
Put my climber on the tree. Tie a cord to it and my hang on stand that rest on the ground.

Tie my battery drill to my climbing stand. Climb the tree 3 foot higher than I plan on hanging my hang on stand.
Screw in 3 in L screws. use these L hooks to hang things on. Even a bow,

Pull the rope cord tied to my hang on. Pull up my hang on and fasten it to the tree. With out breaking a sweat. Ready to go down the tree now. Pick up my battery drill. With a pre length cord tied to the battery drill.

This pre length cord tied to the battery drill. Is my stride length climbing up or down the tee. Put a few tree steps in as I go down from my tree stand.That hangs 20 foot up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010012 cut.jpg (20.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:56 PM

My favorite stand height these days is 19 or 20 inches off the ground with three or four friendly cedar shrubs to keep me company.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:20 PM

Permanent stands can make sense on small and medium size wood lots especially when you own them.

If you over use any spot the deer get wise but permanent stands already in place allow you you get in and out of the woods with less commotion.

I have 30 acres about half woods the the other half fields and orchard. . I have 4 simple permanent stands. I know where the deer like to go and to some degree iI maintain the land such that the deers preferred trails remain the same.

It really isnt my favorite way to hunt and I do hunt other places, but since I know this property really well its would be kind of silly not hunt from the best spots.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: PSE Jackal w/ Hoyt CarbonPlus
3D Bow: CD WF25X Lite w/ Hoyt Carbon X-Tours

I hate heights and I hate tree stands so it’s a “need” more than a “want” for me. Nothing seems better than a tree stand if you are able to pattern deer. I’m jealous of you guys that can go 20+ feet without problems; usually 15’ is the highest I’ll go.

Used a tree saddle a little last year and that seems better. Kinda. A little.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumis17 View Post
I hate heights and I hate tree stands so it’s a “need” more than a “want” for me. Nothing seems better than a tree stand if you are able to pattern deer. I’m jealous of you guys that can go 20+ feet without problems; usually 15’ is the highest I’ll go.

I like tree saddles as well

Find a big tree and set up in a crotch ....very secure and comfortable
Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumis17 View Post

I tried a stand that was over 20 feet high in rifle season a few years ago - I didnt think it bothered me until I started having back spasms because I was so tense sitting in it as it waved around with the tree.

My highest stand is about 15" now and they dont wave around so much - much better for my back.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:33 AM

Hunting Bow: Titan II/Max 6, Predator, Nirk Huntsman

If conditions are such that I can't move quietly enough to approach the animals - dry or frozen leaves, crunchy gravel, thick dry brush or weeds, crusty snow - I will hunt from blinds, but prefer ground blinds in most situations. Here in the West, animal populations are generally too sparse and most species aren't habitual enough in their movements to make hunting out of blinds a reasonable percentage technique. Exceptions are waterhole stands in very dry conditions, stands near heavily used food sources (in the SW, stands of Gambel's Oaks in September, for example), ridgelines and saddles in extremely steep country, and so forth.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:11 AM

Screenshot_20200410-100847.jpg
Here's my tree stand? Lol
Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Hunting Bow: Titan II/Max 6, Predator, Nirk Huntsman

Whatcha gonna do when yer to old to rough it anymore, DDD?

Tags
2013, i dont get tree stands, post, reprising