Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013 - Page 2 - TradTalk Forums
TradTalk Forums

Site Sponsors
User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 04-08-2020, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Reprising the "I don't get tree stands" post from 2013

I use them less and less as I get older. I also spend less time in them each sit too, a few hours at the most. Most of my deer in my hunting life have been shot from one. For rifle hunting in our swamp/marsh terrain, they are a must but we use spacious box blinds with old office chairs so we are comfortable and out of the rain with a heater if you are a wuss.

But I get it that the non-hunters don't get them.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:18 AM

Funny, I am a brand new to archery, started on a whim 4 months ago. I have never hunted. I have never even thought about hunting. But since I've started archery, I have started thinking about hunting. I've read a lot online. I've watched Youtube videos. I've spoken to friends who do hunt. Through all that I have decided that I am not interested in hunting. BUT... I AM interested in sitting in a tree stand at dawn for a few hours quietly observing nature. I AM going to do that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addapost For This Useful Post:
Juspassin (04-08-2020), mwestvang (04-08-2020), Steve (04-09-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboniac View Post
That looks fun but it seems like your real consideration isant about tree stands - its about hunting while sitting still. .
Absolutely, I can't sit still for 5 seconds. It is a different mentality to be able to sit still and be quiet for a long time waiting for a significant event to happen. I think that is the sniper mentality. I would not have made a good sniper. I would fidget too much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank D Thoreau For This Useful Post:
Juspassin (04-08-2020)

Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank D Thoreau View Post
Here is where I get my great views. There is nothing like the view from the top of a Yosemite Valley climb. The view from the top of Smith Rock in Oregon is pretty good too.

Sometimes we have to climb trees while on a climb. You would not believe where trees manage to grow.

We don't all have access to Yosemite. I climb at the Wichita Wildlife refuge in Oklahoma. It is all about making the most of what you have available. I grew up in Ohio, and treestand hunting was the best way to hunt the smaller tracts of land with thick cover.
The Following User Says Thank You to c_m_shooter For This Useful Post:
Juspassin (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 08:51 AM

It can be an effective way to hunt but after 25-30 seasons it gets stale ;-)

And you can be a lot more comfortable in a ground blind.

If I quit, them b*'s win.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dana C For This Useful Post:
rusty craine (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 09:07 AM

Depending on area a tree stand is probable one of the most successful ways to harvest a mature deer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JParanee For This Useful Post:
Juspassin (04-08-2020), rusty craine (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 09:13 AM

Hunting Bow: Titan II/Max 6, Predator, Nirk Huntsman

Being able to hold still and observe everything that's happening around you is the essence of bowhunting, no matter how you do it: The first step in getting close enough to a wild animal to kill it with a bow is to see or hear or smell it before it knows you're around. When you're moving, your own senses are degraded x 10 or more by your own noise and motion, and at the same time it's at least 10 x easier for the animal to see or hear you. So...

The essence of spotting game is sitting still and watching for long periods of time.

The essence of stalking game, once you get within a hundred yards or so, is choosing the least observable route from you to the game, and then moving so slowly that the game doesn't hear or see you. That often means remainin motionless for hours at a time.

Still hunting is essentially stalking game without knowing precisely where the game is located ahead of time.

Hunting from a stand - gound blind or treestand - is holding still and waiting for the game to come to you and present a shot.

Even calling involves lots of sitting still. Sure, that big bull will sometimes come crashing blindly through the timber, but much more often they either run the other way or come in quietly and nervously because they know that responding to a call, and bugling themselves, exposes them to extreme danger. I've had cougars come in to elk bugles a couple of times. Being consistently successful in calling elk (and other animals too) often requires extreme control over one's movements, albeit for shorter amounts of time.

As others have pointed out, one of the most enjoyable aspects of sitting still for long periods of time, no matter how you do it, is all the other wildlife that you would never have seen otherwise, and all the things you learn as a result.

Having said that, the degree to which you have to hold still does depend, to some extent, on the game you're hunting: If you're good enough to shoot birds on the wing or running rabbits, you may not have to hold still at all. If you know that rabbits will often sit tight if they think you're going to walk past them, and spend your time watching to the sides instead of focusing on the ones that are breaking cover ahead of you, you can move a bit more than if you try to spot and stalk the rabbits.

The bottom line is that if you ain't got the self-discipline and patience to be motionless and observant for long periods of time, you ain't gonna be a very successful bowhunter.
The Following User Says Thank You to WP79Vet For This Useful Post:
Juspassin (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
We don't all have access to Yosemite. I climb at the Wichita Wildlife refuge in Oklahoma. It is all about making the most of what you have available. I grew up in Ohio, and treestand hunting was the best way to hunt the smaller tracts of land with thick cover.
I found some interesting pictures. The climbs are very reminiscent of what you find at Joshua Tree. I will have to check that out if I get to Oklahoma on my retirement vacation, provided it every happens.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:04 AM
Bart Harmeling

There are spectators and there are players. Spectators view from afar. They enjoy what they are seeing but they are detached from the dynamics they view. Players take an active role in the dynamics. When we hunt, and particularly bow hunt, we are active participants in the dynamics of our environment. All the elements become more focused. The plants and animals we see, the wind, the weather, the terrain, sounds, smells. When I sit in a stand or blind, I begin to focus on all the activity that takes place around me. Songbirds that come and go, insects, the flora that surrounds me, rodents, reptiles, amphibians. If you don't take time to sit and be still, you would never see, or interact with these things.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuthatch For This Useful Post:
Carboniac (04-08-2020), rusty craine (04-08-2020), Steve (04-09-2020), WP79Vet (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
There are spectators and there are players. Spectators view from afar. They enjoy what they are seeing but they are detached from the dynamics they view. Players take an active role in the dynamics. When we hunt, and particularly bow hunt, we are active participants in the dynamics of our environment. All the elements become more focused. The plants and animals we see, the wind, the weather, the terrain, sounds, smells. When I sit in a stand or blind, I begin to focus on all the activity that takes place around me. Songbirds that come and go, insects, the flora that surrounds me, rodents, reptiles, amphibians. If you don't take time to sit and be still, you would never see, or interact with these things.
How true

Most people never sit still enough to see the beauty in nature unfold

Iíve had hawks land on branches a few feet from me with squirrels in their talons to eat their meal

Ive also had squirrels that were a few feet from me be snatched up by hawks

One of my most memorable days in the field was in BC sitting on the side of a mountain glassing for hours

I watched a pack of wolves chase some sheep up a mountain through my binoculars and spotting scope

The rams would hit snow pockets and the wolves would gain until the sheep would get to some wind blown rock and than they would get the advantage

It started at the Boytin and i watched them all the way till the rams went over the summit

If i was not sitting there observing i would of never seen it

What non hunters dont understand is the amount of time hunters spend watching

In the mountains you gain height and than let your eyes do the walking through good glass
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JParanee For This Useful Post:
Nuthatch (04-08-2020), WP79Vet (04-08-2020)
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM

First time shotgun hunting in IL had a tree stand. Was up in the stand early and the wind started blowing. The tree and stand started swaying more than I felt comfortable with. Climbed down and found a spot on the ground where I could still see the trail the stand was setup for.

About an hour later, here a deer run past me behind me and run into the ladder for the stand. NEver got a shot on that trip.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 AM

Its weird - I have really bad ADHD. But I can sit still in the woods and hunt. But I think its because I have a pretty expansive awareness of of my surroundings.

I notice everything and pay attention to every noise. I hear a noise and figure what animal it probably is. And that in turn informs me on the chance of a deer being around. I pay attention to any changes in the wind and think about how deer will respond to that. Im thinking about the weather and how animals will be responding to it. Im thinking about the mast and foliage and how animals are responding to that. And I just find the coming and going of other animals in and of it self to be interesting. And of course sometimes I just get distracted and thing about theoretical physic or TV shows.

Theres a lot going on in a forest. But maybe you have to more or less grow up in one to really look at it that way.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

good point - I grew up going into the timber with DAD, or farm ponds fishing, a lot of evenings & most weekend days.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:14 PM

Because I like to eat venison and my "happy hunting grounds" are in the Blue Ridge mountain hills, valleys and ridges where the wind constantly changes direction, pools, eddys...you get the picture If I religiously observed the adage "hunt the wind" I would literally do nothing but move my stand. I could still hunt from the ground but if I maintain an effective pace I'd cover maybe a 50 yd. square, circle or straight line over and over as the breeze does a 180 deg. This doesn't even count the thermals which I get busted by in the tree regularly. Depressing? Nahh, you couldn't pay me to hunt the flatlands.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:48 PM

Growing up in Northern NJ it never really occurred to me that you could hunt deer from anything but a tree stand. It was pretty typical to have a handful of stands set up along a corridor and for groups of hunters to be successful on the same day.

Out West I wouldn't even think of stand hunting, but I have found myself sitting in a big juniper a few times.

Tags
2013, i dont get tree stands, post, reprising