Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 AM

Default short draw length bow setups

Anyone else draw length challenged? I’m at like 25” and mid 40lbs draw weight at my length. Been shooting a few years now and am trying to dial in my setup again. I had it dialed in with a bow that very recently had some unforeseen troubles. So I’m sort of scrambling before elk season gets here to get comfortable and confident again.

I’m curious what others have found works for them or if you find something or some combo more comfortable to shoot. 64” bows seem too long for me, I know that. I liked my 60” bow when I trusted it. Don’t have any experience with 58” or 62” bows though. Going to try a 19” ilf riser and would like to try a 17” as well. Was also talking to black widow about a 58” psa.

There has got to be quite a few people shooting with low poundage and short arms out there. Thanks!
Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori
Default Re: short draw length bow setups

I'm shooting about 26.5 inch draw so pretty much in the same boat. As far as set up I have a 19 inch riser with medium limbs. I shoot 45lb limbs for target which translates to about 40lbs. For hunting I bump up to 50lb limbs which translates to about a 45lb at my draw.

Not sure what else there is to say about it accept Ive found arrow set up to be tricky. Cutting just a bit off your shaft can make it too stiff and they dont make the type of arrows I like at higher spines to make up for it so it's tough. You can add some weight to the tip with heavier points to add add spine but then you lose distance because your arrows nose dive after 20 yards.

I might just make up for it by going to a higher draw weight. I think I can handle 55lbs without to much trouble.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:58 PM

Yeah I forgot about arrow length. I’m trying to also balance arrow weight and spine with arrow length. I had 300 up front on long 400’s, then tried to go to 500’s and that’s when I had issues with my other bow. Limbs lost weight and then I had to get new arrows again. I lost most of my confidence in it now

Old 05-21-2020, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: 70" Howard Hill longbows, yew or bamboo.
3D Bow: The same.
Outdoor Target Bow: Also vintage target recurves.
Indoor Target Bow: The same.

Why such a short draw? Are you a small person? If so, fine. If not why such a short draw? Do you have physical impediment? If so fine. Or do you just decline to behave normally? What is going on here? Maybe we can help. - lbg
Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 PM

I’m short. 25” is all I get when I’m aligned and comfy. 25.5” stretches me out and isn’t my draw length.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: 70" Howard Hill longbows, yew or bamboo.
3D Bow: The same.
Outdoor Target Bow: Also vintage target recurves.
Indoor Target Bow: The same.

Fine, no offense intended. I asked because a lot of guys underdraw and I want to call them out if that is the case,. I have coached a lot of smaller people, women, youths and a couple of smaller men. First, some of the best archers in the world are smallish, from Asia. Size is not important in archery. Second, your 64" bow should not be a problem, many of my pupils have gotten good results with my longer bows, or their own. You do not need a shorter one in my opinion.

For large game I would suggest not less than about 400 grains of arrow weight, and I would tune for a somewhat overlong arrow to achieve that. I suggest a split finger hold, not three under, for a higher launch angle. That has worked for most, but is not critical if you are not comfortable thataway.

A lot of elk have been cleanly taken with 40# bows, but you naturally must take only ideal shot angles within your accurate range. Use a two blade broadhead, very sharp, perhaps a single bevel one for best penetration, but an elk is only 18" thick so you should be fine with a good hit.

Kindly let us know how it goes. Good hunting! - lbg
Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 AM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori

Agree on the split finger suggestion from Longbowguy. Ive tried 3 under and there is just too much loss of performance. No need to shrink your gap by shooting 3 under with a short draw length you're already there.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:25 AM

With the 64” bow I dislike pulling it through the brush all day. And it has posed problems when shooting on very steep slopes. Shooting it was fine, but the woods make it a hassle for me.

Thanks for the tips and thoughts!

Hoping next week I can get my hands on a couple 19” and 17” risers to see if my short draw length can tell much of a difference. That’s really what I’m hoping to dial in and get confident with again.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:53 AM

Another option if wanting maximum power is to try thumb draw/asiatic style, some draw to 30 to 32 inches, some even farther. You don’t have to shoot off the other side of the bow either if you crawl down the string.
Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 PM

64" bow at 28" is about 2.3" of bow for every inch of draw. The same ratio would put you at about 58" of bow. The inhibiting factor would be brace height. I believe it was Larry H that stated that 19" of thrust was about all that most give. An efficient design with a shorter brace height may give better performance, but the bow needs to be designed to tolerate the shorter brace height. I have seen short draw short hybrids that can put out performance that may surprise ILF shooters. Big Jim knows his stuff about getting short bows to function for lesser draws. I know a younger shorter shooter, 5' 6" with a 25" draw that has had a number of pass throughs on whitetails with a 44 pound at 25" 66" Hill, shooting 26" wood arrows with Eskimo 2 blades. I have made several dozen arrows for him over the years. I gave him the bow, since then he up graded to a [email protected]", but out of 64" Hill. The one issue that I have with bows that are longer is string contact to my Filson double Mac coat when in a low crouched and bow severely canted position. However, if you are a string walker, I don't know. I always contend that one does not need an aggressive mechanical aiming system for shots under 30 yards, the split finger instinctive shot has worked for many archers for many years. The old paper plate group at 20 yards will kill deer.
One minor point about Black Widows, I got to inspect a whole rack of them once. There was not single variable of quality or flaw in any of them. I was stunned by the constant perfect workmanship.

Last edited by pavan; 05-22-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 PM

just received a new Jess Stuart Corsair 3pc LB 62"-42#@25", tune it in and is a sweet shooter. My draw went from 28 1/4" down to 25" do to several rotator op and a ulna nerve rewrap on the bow arm. I do pull close to 26" on the recurve, golden age haven't been kind but over come and adapt is the rule.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:17 AM

Hunting Bow: Das Gen 1 Dryad Epic XL limbs
3D Bow: Das Gen 1 Dryad Epic XL limbs

I don't have a short draw, but I expanded my draw when I switched to a thumb tab. My split finger draw is 28.5" with the thumb tab I am 31". If you want to expand your draw you should give one a try. It gave me a 4 position anchor, raised my anchor closer to my eye, lowered my drawing arm elbow keeping it in line with the arrow and makes me lock in with my back muscles at full draw.

They are easy to make. You just need a 1/2" strip of leather and a very small dowel.

Good luck
Gil
Old 05-24-2020, 07:27 AM

I was shooting with my thumb for about a year, then went to fingers again when I got a nice zipper. I tried going back to thumb a couple weeks ago and I don’t like how the release isn’t as clean. I going to stick with finger draw and deal with 25” for the time being. Hoping to optimize my gear with whatever it takes.

I have been emailing CD archery and looks like they will have a wf19 in green next week, thinking I’m going to pick that up. I emailed border as well but haven’t heard back about a tempest in 19”. Now looking at limbs. 46 or 48 lb uukha vx+ or evo2. I picked up a pair of evo2 for my thumb draw setup, and I really like those limbs, just not thumb draw anymore it seems.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:36 AM

On all of the threads like this, I invariably find myself wondering how each poster is measuring his DL. AMO standard, I believe, is to the deepest point of the grip +1.5”. For a recurve.

I’m 5’4” and by the AMO standard, I shoot 27.5” when I hit full expansion.

Low wrist versus high wrist can cost you an inch or more. Shallow hook versus deep hook can be another half or three-quarter inches. Proper alignment can be worth an inch and will allow you to be much more solid at anchor. All of those numbers will get compressed a bit, of course, as you shoot higher draw weights, but point is, you may have another inch or so, easy, hiding in plain sight.

I’d probably recommend that you look up Jim Ploen’s video on anchor point on YouTube.
The Following User Says Thank You to GF. For This Useful Post:
DDD (05-25-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 PM

I’ll take a look at the video, thanks. I put a piece of paper on my arrow and drew to anchor. Did it several times. Also had someone mark the arrow at full draw. Always about 25”. Anymore and I can tell I’m past where it’s comfortable and not easy to draw.

Tags
bow, draw, length, setups, short