Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 07-26-2020, 07:34 PM

Default tuning confusion for a super recurve

Hi all,

Admittedly I'm a novice at tuning a recurve so I'm asking for some guidance...

I'm seeing a consistent nock right and slight point down on impact on the arrow.

Bow is Covert Hunter 17" riser, 60" M limbs, #50 (H8)

Nock height is 1/2"

I've got a very slight bias to left on the plunger and the arrow points left when on the shelf.

Arrows:
1. Beeman Hunter 400 spine, 422gr, cut to 29.5" (cut the arrow, not including nock or FP etc) 125 grain point.

2. FMJ 5mm 300 spine, 580gr, cut to 30", 125gr point

3. GT Kinectic 300 spine, 542gr, cut to 30.5", 175gr FP.

With all three arrows I get the same result. I have a bias towards hitting right of target, nock to the right of the field point.

I've not paper tuned, I don't have access to the set up and I've not yet bareshafted.

Arrow flight seem very straight and smooth for the higher spined arrows. Perhaps more erratic on the beman but I'm thinking that arrow is on the border of being too weak.

Any suggestions of what to experiment with methodically to see what's up? My form is pretty good (I feel), and at 30yds I"m very accurate but at 40 the group really tends to open up and the bias is as I'm said above - to the right with nock right. In my home target at 14 yards, the nock is about an 1" to 1.25" to the right of the field point at impact.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 PM

http://www.fedoracustombows.com/tuning-setup-tips/

See if this helps you any.
The Following User Says Thank You to BHawkins74 For This Useful Post:
DDD (07-27-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs
Default Re: tuning confusion for a super recurve

Keep in mind that Border super recurves are designed for lower brace heights that conventional recurves. They are more vertically stable at a lower brace height and provide more stored energy. I would check the Border webpage for a setup guide. I thought they had one with recommended brace heights.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:38 PM

http://borderbows.com/uploads/HEX9%2...ogue3.pdf.html

Depending on your draw length, that 400 is on the lower end of recommended.

Might not be what you're looking for, but I've been having a much easier time tuning heavy arrows on the CH. My 42# seems to like 600gr.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:43 AM

On my 50#@28" draw CH, I found that a 29" .400 with 125 tip will work but are at the bottom of weight recommendations. I found that a .340 with 175 tip worked better.
I also run true centershot when setting up the rest or as close as I can get.
Also had good luck with XX75 2216 and 125 tips
To second an earlier comment, I ran brace at 6 5/8" with 3/4" high nock.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:44 AM

First off I didn't see if you said you were right handed or left.

Second, choose one arrow and tune that. I use http://www.fenderarchery.com/blogs/a...o/basic-tuning. You will need a bare shaft.

I had some major problems when I started out with Hex 7.5's AND i was using a bare shaft. Finally Jinks told me that the arrow had to be in the same plane as the limbs and the string, instead of outboard left for a right handed shooter.

I set up the arrow and had a straight flying bare shaft impacting with field points in 6 shots. I will say that what works for Jinks and me, might not work for you??? Putting that arrow in the center cut plane takes away a lot of your tuning options.

Go back to threads from last week to find out how to find the exact center shot with a t-square.

I'd also forget about a 125 grain head. Reason is because you'll end up with an arrow around or maybe under 10 grains per pound. I have the Hex 7.5's set up with 13+ gpp and 8's at 15 gpp. I had an arrow at 10 tuned and didn't like the way the set up acted. Very fast, but loud and not very forgiving. Plus I had a jump in KE.

I've found that SR's are different animals and some conventional rules don't apply. I really can't give you a suggestion on what to do with the info you've provided. I do have a Border tuning guide if you want to PM me, but that's probably what that link above is. I don't think the tuning guide mentions the center shot. I THINK Sid told that to Jinks???

Bowmania
Old 07-27-2020, 06:53 AM

Here's the center shot thing:

"I discovered how to find the exact center shot with a bow that has a flat bow window on the right side for a right handed shooter. I think all metal risers are. Lay a t-square on the opposite side of the riser as the arrow. Top of the T towards the string. Draw a line with thin felt tip marker where the string meets the T. ON BOTH SIDES of the T, top and bottom. Nock an arrow and flip the T-square so the top of the T is pointing towards the arrow tip. The line you drew on the under side of the T is now on the top. And will show you the exact center line."
Old 07-28-2020, 08:38 AM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

Second on http://borderbows.com/uploads/HEX9%2...ogue3.pdf.html

Get your arrows real near centershot is recommended somewhere in here, and Sid emphasized it to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to pipcount For This Useful Post:
CD (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 11:36 AM

^^^^^^
Pip's "Get your arrows real near centershot"

Yes, I have found this to be true too.
Sometime ago, I was testing new shafts and a new bow and could not for the life of me get rid of fishtailing.
I had set up the arrow shaft offset like Easton shows in their tuning guide and this proved to be too far out for me.
The odd thing is, with me using just one eye, and eyeballing the bowstring/arrow shaft alignment, it would
seemly change from day to day. Drove me barmy.

And, now that I learned Bowmania's neat trick with the t-square, I can tell exactly where the arrow shaft lays with respect to centreshot.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:43 AM

well, I put a 175gr on the FMJ for a total arrow weight of 630gr. With the arrow flush against the riser, it still points left slightly so I'm not sure how I'm going to get center shot.

However, with this set, I'm seeing my issue resolved at short distance. I've yet to take it longer than 12 yards as I've not gone to the range yet. With this heavy arrow, I'm still so impressed at just how hard the Covert Hunter launches them. Does make one wonder what the HEX9 would be like...!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 AM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

"With the arrow flush against the riser, it still points left slightly so I'm not sure how I'm going to get center shot."

The covert hunters are highly center shot. If you cannot get it center shot then I can think of a couple things going on, bet others will think of more. Please understand, since you say you are a novice I am putting out some ideas here...

1. Too thick a strike plate/ too big an arrow rest pad / etc. I use a hoyt super rest and have plenty of centershot, have to build out with felt a bit.
2. Something is wrong with the bow limbs or how they are set on the bow.. pushing string to side. Maybe even top limb on bottom and vise versa- I did this when I was starting for a while with some confusing limbs/graphics.
2. You are misinterpreting the arrow offset somehow..
Old 07-29-2020, 09:56 AM

5/16" cut out on that riser. So, measure your arrow diameter. Divide that by two then subtract that from 5/16 or .3125". Thats the thickness required striker plate. Really fat shafts will stick out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:08 PM

So I seem to be very near getting same
POI with bare and fletched but my bare nock is very high. I was impacting 4Ē lower than fletched group and over to the right. Lowering the nocking point has brought me to what Iím seeing now. Should I continue lowering the NP?

Thanks
I donít know why the images are rotated. The bareshaft nock points UP! Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B8589DA1-DB84-4510-A893-75EAEB763078_1596067591480.jpeg (65.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg 687C7FC1-1AFD-4872-B339-87DF6FA63396_1596067645732.jpeg (60.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (446.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (448.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by BijanO; 07-30-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:57 PM

You can not even begin to spine tune an arrow until you get the nock flying level via nock height adjustment.

Your nock height of 1/2" is low if you are shooting split-finger and extremely low if you are shooting 3-Under.

My guess is your arrow shaft is hammering off the rest and kicking your bare arrow nock high.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:41 PM

When the nocking point was higher the POI was much lower from the fletchings and the nock higher regarding angle.

Tags
confusion, recurve, super, tuning