Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > Hunting Camp

Old 07-01-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Stab or weights on hunting rig?

I know this is some pretty newb type question. Im sorry. I have noone local to me that shoots recurve so y’all, AT, and John are all I got for bouncing ideas off and such.
Ive got my 21” satori with 46# max 6s shooting real nice. Takin my tune frome stiff, to weak and been able to repeat my results pretty consistently. Just screwing around with different fletching configurations now and playing with a few different broadheads.
Ive got the itch to pile some weight onto my riser. I always ran a 12” or 15” with a dish or stack of 1ozs on my compounds and absolutely loves how much it slowed down my pin float and my bows reaction post shot.
Im assuming folks set up their recurves similar? I see mostly what I believe are called bare bow weights? Rather than stabilizer bars. Not sure I understand. Always seemed that the longer my stab the less weight I needed to get that sight picture I was after.
Maybe Im over thinking it all. Is there a reason folks dont set up their recurves with stabilizers that Im missing? I fix on doing some decently far back elk hunts this year. So I obviously dont want to pile any unnecessary weight onto my rig. Though if it proves out like a compound rig and has potential to add a bit more consistency to me shots Id be a lot more open to a few more ounces. I guess I figure right nows the time to figure out if itll work for me or not as my rig is pretty well what I want it to be beyond what heads Ill be shooting, finding a new quiver,.... and potentially a stab or weight system.
Id love to hear from y’all as to what kind of weights, and maybe how much you guys run on your hunting rigs.
I got another riser coming and a heavier set of max 6s to dink around with and really like the idea of getting a rig set up thatll roll forward. Anyhow thanks in advance for any knowledge y’all can lend me. I really appreciate it.
Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: PSE Jackal w/ Hoyt CarbonPlus
3D Bow: CD WF25X Lite w/ Hoyt Carbon X-Tours
Default Re: Stab or weights on hunting rig?

For World Archery competitions a bow has to fit within a 12.2cm ring in the barebow division. When people refer to barebow weights they are usually referring to small weights that stick close to the riser to fit within the ring. It's usually not in a hunting context.

There's no reason you can't use a 10-12" long stabilizer on your hunting bow. I don't see it too much and it's probably due to a variety of reason. Some folks probably want to keep their shooting setup similar to their 3D setup, some don't think they belong on a recurve, some want to keep their bow light, etc.

My local shoots go by NFAA rules and they didn't allow stabilizers in the recurve class until the past few years. I started off shooting without one to keep my hunting bow legal for shoots. After they allowed it I used a short 2-3" Doinker stabilizer which helped the balance and reaction a little. Never went for a longer one since I didn't want to hinder my maneuverability in the woods. Nowadays I don't shoot without one since my short stabilizers didn't help all that much and to keep my bow's mass weight down (which is ironic since I'm always looking for a 7-8 arrow bow quiver).

I say this all the time, but check your tune after doing anything to your bow. Adding weight to my bow makes my arrows tune stiffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to lumis17 For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 01:11 PM

Whatever shoots best. I currently have a short weight on my riser, probably 8-10 ounces. Sometimes I use a 10" stab. If weight is an issue, remember 'leverage'. A 4 ounce weight 'out there' works like a heavier weight close in to the riser.

PS "Is there a reason folks don't set up their recurves with stabilizers that I'm missing?"

Some people worry that it isn't 'traditional' ;-)

If I quit, them b*'s win.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dana C For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-02-2020)

Old 07-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Hunting Bow: Titan II/Max 6, Predator, Nirk Huntsman

I use a very short stabilizer on my Titan II/Max 6 hunting rig. It improves the balance in my hand. Not enough extra weight to notice, but the extra mass probably does improve stability a little bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to WP79Vet For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumis17 View Post
For World Archery competitions a bow has to fit within a 12.2cm ring in the barebow division. When people refer to barebow weights they are usually referring to small weights that stick close to the riser to fit within the ring. It's usually not in a hunting context.

There's no reason you can't use a 10-12" long stabilizer on your hunting bow. I don't see it too much and it's probably due to a variety of reason. Some folks probably want to keep their shooting setup similar to their 3D setup, some don't think they belong on a recurve, some want to keep their bow light, etc.

My local shoots go by NFAA rules and they didn't allow stabilizers in the recurve class until the past few years. I started off shooting without one to keep my hunting bow legal for shoots. After they allowed it I used a short 2-3" Doinker stabilizer which helped the balance and reaction a little. Never went for a longer one since I didn't want to hinder my maneuverability in the woods. Nowadays I don't shoot without one since my short stabilizers didn't help all that much and to keep my bow's mass weight down (which is ironic since I'm always looking for a 7-8 arrow bow quiver).

I say this all the time, but check your tune after doing anything to your bow. Adding weight to my bow makes my arrows tune stiffer.
I really need to find some shoots and get to shooting with some more experienced folks and see how they set up and what not. I just really hate doing stuff that involves people.
Ive heard this on the tune as far as stabilizers and quivers. I need to get a rig set up proper with everything and see about how it all shoots.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
Whatever shoots best. I currently have a short weight on my riser, probably 8-10 ounces. Sometimes I use a 10" stab. If weight is an issue, remember 'leverage'. A 4 ounce weight 'out there' works like a heavier weight close in to the riser.

PS "Is there a reason folks don't set up their recurves with stabilizers that I'm missing?"

Some people worry that it isn't 'traditional' ;-)
Makes sense, same as on a compound with running a longer stab with less weight to achieve similar results
I think Ive already crossed the line from “traditional” with having an elevated rest.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Hey, we're reporting you to the trad police, Matt!

While I've only shot a buddy's Satori a few times, I can see how you might want a stabilizer/weight on it to adjust the balance. Figure out what you need in that area before you spend a lot of time tuning arrows since there's a good chance that will affect things. Good points by Dana above.

Personally, on a hunting rig, I'm willing to live with a little tip back in favor of a shorter stab and more compact bow. Your mileage may vary. It's all part of the fun in sorting out a new rig.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Holquist For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holquist View Post
Hey, we're reporting you to the trad police, Matt!

While I've only shot a buddy's Satori a few times, I can see how you might want a stabilizer/weight on it to adjust the balance. Figure out what you need in that area before you spend a lot of time tuning arrows since there's a good chance that will affect things. Good points by Dana above.

Personally, on a hunting rig, I'm willing to live with a little tip back in favor of a shorter stab and more compact bow. Your mileage may vary. It's all part of the fun in sorting out a new rig.
I got a couple bars(4” and6”) coming with 14 oz of weight to screw with.
I often set up my compounds so dang heavy Id start thinking on places to stash it after a long day of hiking. I dont want to be anything like that again. Hoping this new riser balances out a bit different.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:00 PM

I ran a Ktech 3 w Mathews S coil module on the lower limb bolt of a Blackwidow HS.
This was an '83 model w single pin and bolt attach. Had a little noise/vibe and the stab helped tone it down. Also helped balance w quiver.

Didn't stick out much and worked........bow already heavy so a little more was no big deal.

If it helps ya shoot, run it

My '75 HS was run without, as was my '72 HF1225 and my current '91 HS
They all had/have 1/4-20 tapped limb bolts.

Only my '83 had 5/16-24

They all had risers tapped for a stablizer at front, but I didn't like it that close to my hand (worse on the HS).
Lower limb bolt was perfect location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hookeye For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 05:13 PM

Hunting Bow: Das Gen 1 Border Hex 6 S
3D Bow: Das Gen 1 Border Hex 6 S

I tried a few times to add a stabilizer but couldn't tell any difference. Recently I was going through my stuff and found new Limbsaver 3.5" S-Coil Stabilizers. I am going to leave it on and hunt with it this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to GilV For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:04 PM

For hunting, I think the main reason is that we generally want the lightest and most compact set up that we can accurately shoot with.

Stabs and weights do help - and if you're not in a competition with rules, you can do whatever you like. You can even shoot recurve with a wrist release!

My compound has the 12" B Stinger, but on my recurves the longest I have a 7". I used a barebow weight (to fit the 12.2cm ring rule) if I'm competing.

My Border Tempest does not have any extra weight.... the front bridge design does shift the mass forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel L For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
For hunting, I think the main reason is that we generally want the lightest and most compact set up that we can accurately shoot with.

Stabs and weights do help - and if you're not in a competition with rules, you can do whatever you like. You can even shoot recurve with a wrist release!

My compound has the 12" B Stinger, but on my recurves the longest I have a 7". I used a barebow weight (to fit the 12.2cm ring rule) if I'm competing.

My Border Tempest does not have any extra weight.... the front bridge design does shift the mass forward.
That tempest is on my short list
Old 07-05-2020, 08:04 PM

Compared to the Satori... the Border Tempest is a huge jump in handling. If you get one, it's a tough bow to beat if you like moderate mass. It handles very well for an unweighted bow that doesn't feel like a boat anchor or feel like it wants to tip back all the time.

I've owned a 21" Satori and found that I needed weight up the front just to make it sit the way I liked. In the end I sold it as it always felt like it wanted to tilt back a lot.

All being said, shoot the bow the way you like. The longer the stab /weight the more it affects your tune. So tune your setup with all the gear on if that's how you plan to shoot it.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
Compared to the Satori... the Border Tempest is a huge jump in handling. If you get one, it's a tough bow to beat if you like moderate mass. It handles very well for an unweighted bow that doesn't feel like a boat anchor or feel like it wants to tip back all the time.

I've owned a 21" Satori and found that I needed weight up the front just to make it sit the way I liked. In the end I sold it as it always felt like it wanted to tilt back a lot.

All being said, shoot the bow the way you like. The longer the stab /weight the more it affects your tune. So tune your setup with all the gear on if that's how you plan to shoot it.
This satori seemed like the most “standardized “ riser I could find when shopping for my 1st recurve. I love trying new stuff, and getting to know different equipment. If Johns new JCA riser is as amazing as I feel like it will be the satori will be up for sale next week though. I will be getting my hands on a tempest and a wf 19 asap. Those both look appealing. The lines on the tempest are straight up beautiful though. I feel like It would have to be pretty miserable to shoot for me not to love it.
Be awesome if a quiver and stab got me needing more weight up front of my current arrows though. Hopefully some bars show up this week to play around with.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:06 PM

In the "try as many bows a you can" phase - which I did over about 3 years when starting out, the Classifieds is definitely the place to hit . You can buy and sell and not lose too much.

2nd Hand Tempests do show up occasionally if you are patient... usually around $550-$600. I think WF19 usually around $450.

And then there's limbs. That's another world of opinions and personal preferences!
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel L For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-05-2020)

Tags
hunting, rig, stab, weights