Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > Hunting Camp

Old 04-02-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Animals you wouldn't hunt?

As the title says, are there any animals that you wouldn't want to kill in a bowhunt?
I think for me, I wouldn't want to kill a fox or a mountain lion. I wouldn't know how to skin them for the fur or how to tan it.
“I know what you’re thinking. “Did he fire six shots or only five?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
The Following User Says Thank You to El Greco For This Useful Post:
Larry Hatfield (04-02-2018)
Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Animals you wouldn't hunt?

Anything that doesn’t taste good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wirrex For This Useful Post:
jld (04-17-2020), kestimator (04-04-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

Any foreign animal, Canada, excluded. Spring bear, white tail of either sex, bull elk in rut, rutting mulie bucks, anything else I would not eat.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:42 PM

I hunt stuff Ill eat(deer turkey small game, elk I suppose if I had the chance.) I hunt ground hogs because they eat my garden etc.

I would hunt a black bear or coyote if it was a nuisance - but Id probably use a gun.
When i was young I used to trap for furs and I dont have a problem with that but I wouldnt hunt predators for the sake of trophies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamerabi For This Useful Post:
Kenlbear (05-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM

Never an elephant, giraffe or big cat and I have little use for those who do. Likewise I'd never fish a shark or ray.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:36 AM

Hunting Bow: Black Widow Longbow
3D Bow: TradTech Titan

For me ... elephant, rhino, lion, hippo, gator and any bear.
The Following User Says Thank You to BenMaher For This Useful Post:
Trad arch (01-01-2020)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:21 AM

I would hunt anything I could to be honest. Notice I said hunt and not kill. I like to pursue any animal that I can. There have been many times I have tags in my pocket and just watch animals walk by because I am enjoying myself and dont need to kill. Once the stalk is over and you are in range, the hunt is over, all that is left is the kill. There isnt really anything I can think of I would not hunt or pursue, I just may not choose to kill.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChadMR82 For This Useful Post:
longbowguy (06-04-2018), Trad arch (01-01-2020), TradAnon (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
Never an elephant, giraffe or big cat and I have little use for those who do. Likewise I'd never fish a shark or ray.
why is the life of a deer or elk less important than an giraffe or cat?
hunt them all or hunt none
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJL For This Useful Post:
Butch Speer (06-07-2019), Kuiu-kid (04-05-2018), Steve (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:41 AM

I hate to see fellow hunters turn against each other. As long people follow the rules where they are hunting I dont care. Big cats, bears, giraffes, etc, all the same to me as a deer. They all have their own challenges. I think we should just promote legal hunting methods on all huntable species and be done with it..........just my .02
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChadMR82 For This Useful Post:
Butch Speer (06-07-2019), DJL (04-03-2018), GMaC (04-23-2020), Larry Hatfield (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

I agree with the last post. But in an effort to explain my aversion to hunt something I won't use, all my life I have left hides and heads of animals in the woods with the other offal, and I killed my first deer when I was 6. I just can not fathom going off somewhere to kill something for a head or mount I care nothing about. I have put my money where my mouth is several times. Have been offered several free trips to Africa and only went once, when the sponsor agreed to let me do my own thing, which was a camera only tour through several parks and some open veldt. I have never posted one of those pics, and never will. They are pretty personal to me.
I have killed animals to eat in Laos and Northern Cambodia to provide food for me and companions. I know how to hunt, where ever I am. Nothing to prove. It's just a personal thing with me like others aversion to my favorite food, bear. Enjoy life, enjoy hunting, support hunting world wide, do your own thing for your own reasons! Good way to live.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larry Hatfield For This Useful Post:
BenMaher (04-05-2018), jerbearyukon (04-20-2018), pdiddly (06-08-2019), Penny Banks (06-14-2019)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:13 AM

I don't turkey hunt with a bow any longer. 2 seemingly good hits and no recovery doesn't sit well with me.

Lifes too short to shoot conventional limbs, thanks Sid.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMR82 View Post
I hate to see fellow hunters turn against each other. As long people follow the rules where they are hunting I dont care. Big cats, bears, giraffes, etc, all the same to me as a deer. They all have their own challenges. I think we should just promote legal hunting methods on all huntable species and be done with it..........just my .02
Im not sure not caring for something is the same turning against each other.

Im personally not a fan of much of what I understand modern Africa hunting to be.
But Im not against it for 2 reasons. One is largely props up and supports conservation in many parts of Africa. Two if people start winning the argument against people killing big cats in parks eventually it might lead to winning arguments against killing deer pigs and grouse.

On a sort of separate note Ive found that I dont really enjoy sport killing of coyotes/coywolves and bears even though the other sport hunters for them surely improves my quality of life by keeping the numbers in check and keeping them afraid of people.
So Im actually a a strong proponent of those seasons even if I mostly dont enjoy it myself.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 PM

Hunt any thing if hungry.
Road kill no worries once in life.
Sport hunting though, the list of animals I would never even look at other than to admire is very long.

John.
The Following User Says Thank You to John from New Zealand For This Useful Post:
pondscum2 (06-09-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Why wouldn't you hunt an elephant? Can you imagine a 2 ton deer eating your farmer friends crops and he had a cull permit?

Go over there and see what locals think of elephants. It's like polar bears. Natives in Resolute (?) Bay are killing 40 per year. If a hunter doesn't kill one or two (8 to 10 are reserved for hunters) they'll still kill 40.

Bowmania
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowmania For This Useful Post:
Penny Banks (06-14-2019)
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Elephants experience complex emotions and form lifelong bonds. They grieve their dead and protect each other's young. Killing them to reduce competition for resources is no different than killing a man for his wallet.
The same can be said for cetaceans although it could also be argues that their familial bonds are far deeper than among humans, yet we exploit them for entertainment.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grantmac For This Useful Post:
azklmsr (07-31-2020), Kenlbear (05-02-2018), pdiddly (06-08-2019), pondscum2 (06-09-2018), Trad arch (01-01-2020)

Tags
animals, hunt