Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > Hunting Camp

Old 07-05-2020, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Stab or weights on hunting rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
In the "try as many bows a you can" phase - which I did over about 3 years when starting out, the Classifieds is definitely the place to hit . You can buy and sell and not lose too much.

2nd Hand Tempests do show up occasionally if you are patient... usually around $550-$600. I think WF19 usually around $450.

And then there's limbs. That's another world of opinions and personal preferences!
Lol, o man. Just last week I was up late about 3 nights in a row mulling over a set of uukhas. Then it dawned on me. These dang max 6s are freakin awesome so I got a heavier set of them ordered up. Now Im back to thinkin ,how am I ever going to know if those uukhas are the cats pajamas...
this ILF recurve world is all brand new and shiny to me at the moment for sure. Then I get to seeing some of the stunning wood riser bolt down bows. I swore up and down that getting rid of all my compound gear was going to save me so much money. It is looking like that is so far from the case.
Being a lefty hinders me a bit on the used market but looks like a decent amount of lh gear pops up. Got my eyes out for sure.
Remove Ads
Old 07-06-2020, 02:44 PM

A couple of weeks back I gave one of the most stable light weight bows that I have ever owned and killed game with. A yew glass ASL with a myrtle riser of my own design and tiller, 14oz. I got the bow to have very little to no reaction to the release, due to my grip design and sand paper tillering to achieve perfect limb timing. I like to get the bow to have that float on target after effect, while the arrow is in the air. Many years back with BW takedowns and Bear takedowns I did it with short stem rods and the lightest possible weight mercury stabilizers and always shot with a wrist strap and open hand. A fairly slow action set-up for hunting, really better suited for target shooting. I got bored with stationary and static hunting, so i went to ASLs and never looked back. With ASLs and certain recurves the shooters arm weight adds to the stability, as long as you are are not doing a lot of strange things like whopping yourself in the butt at release with a lot of hand torque. I believe that many venues in 'trad' archery are getting over complicated with mechanics and mechanical shooting techniques. Fred Bear was only an average shot, but he did pretty good in the field. The old masters have things that they could teach to the newer generation.
The Following User Says Thank You to pavan For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (07-06-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
In the "try as many bows a you can" phase - which I did over about 3 years when starting out, the Classifieds is definitely the place to hit . You can buy and sell and not lose too much.*
Golden words right here! On top of technical considerations, it's better to try several types of bows as to find something that 1) fits your physionomy (you're not necessarily going to use the same bow if you're 5'8" and thin or 6'3" and massive) 2) makes you feel comfortable and 3) personally find easier to use. What's going to be someone else's perfect bow may well not be yours; for example, I'm a huge fan of traditional bows, not because I don't like more "fancy" ones due to their "purity" or something like this, but simply because I'm a better shot with a trad bow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stalker86 For This Useful Post:
Matt flint (08-01-2020)

Tags
hunting, rig, stab, weights