Trad Talk Forums banner

Tape arrow as a draw check

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Missouri Bowman 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use a piece of colored tape on the arrow near the tip that lines up with the rest at full draw? Kind of A visual draw check? Just thinking for some practice sessions or leave on one arrow in a set to just verify form.

#3 ·
Being forced to look at my arrows relation to the bow on mid sequence is nothing I want part of.

I did for a bit shoot arrows with short extensions. I could feel the first insert going over my rest and I imagine that a more tactile set up could be an effective draw check.

#4 ·
I did for a while use a tiny blob of super glue on the down side of the arrow so at correct draw i would feel the glue blob touch the shelf. Felt it helped me in the early days trying to acheive a consistent draw lenght. Dont need it now and still recomend it to newbies at the club having trouble draw consistancy.

#5 ·
Tape wears off quickly if arrows penetrate to or past it in target. I paint a line around shaft that at full draw aligns with side plate hump or plunger. Use gold or silver model paint or sharpie. Use this for daily practice.

#8 ·
I see no harm in setting up that kind of arrow to use now and then as a form check and training aid, maybe alongside a mirror, or with a watcher. I would not use it in ordinary practice or performance. Ultimately you need to learn the feel of a strong shot, in your back and shoulders. - lbg

#12 ·
I'm not sure with string-walking and sighting down the arrow you'd be able to see any mark on the arrow. I would think drawing to your anchor point consistently would be the thing.

But I do like that dot of superglue on the bottom of the arrow - it may benefit beginners learning to draw/anchor cycle.

#13 ·
I just thought.....I might be able to feel the super glue dot using a REST like a Bear Weatherrest or Flipper rest Springy rest etc. - but not so much a cushy rug rest on shelf......or a feather rest.....brush rest.....

#15 · (Edited)
I think that you are underthinking this. I invented the electronic draw length checker back in 2013. This draw check will buzz when you get to the perfect draw length.

I think I need to get this crowd funded so I can package it into a sellable product.

Here is the original post. https://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39349

I received ENTHUSIASTIC support for this from the Tradtalk community at the time. I am sure there was some disappointment over the product never being released.

Click to expand the pictures.

Attachments

#16 ·
Ensuring the exact same draw length is a good idea. I find a Clicker to be very useful, but a pain to use in the field. The little string get caught on things. Great for the range, though.

That said, does +/- 1/4" make all that much difference if my shots are limited to 15 to 20 yards? If not, why bother?

#17 ·
HDT in the first picture in your post #15, I see a wood grip - so it's still trad.
RASYAD can probably help you get it on the market.
innovation is the mother of .......something?

#19 ·
In the video on YouTube called the Push, they describe the white tape mark on the tip of the arrows. One reason for putting it on is that your field tips and broadheads are different lengths. With the tape the length is the same when you use the Tip for aiming at your target. Yes it’s used for aiming and not as a draw check. I’ve seen quite a few folks using different marks on the ends of the shaft in videos. Didn’t realize so many do. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.