Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > DIY Projects > Warfin' Wall

Old 06-28-2020, 11:42 AM

Default The Start of my first warf

Here is my first attempt at a Warf bow. I used my son's southwest archery 35lb limbs. I used wooden blocks to build up the pockets so that the end of the limbs would ride past the lower edge of the pocket. This thing is a speed demon for 35lb limbs. Unfortunately I do not have set scales to test the actual poundage. However this leads to more questions. As you can see I put the arrow rest that was on the old compound back on to see how it works. It was shooting consistently to the right at short distances. I would like to know if anyone else out there uses arrow rests, and if so what kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200628_110654_1593369020964.jpg (3.07 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20200628_110728_1593369035318.jpg (2.89 MB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20200628_111356_1593369046121.jpg (2.79 MB, 24 views)
Remove Ads
Old 06-28-2020, 02:58 PM

Default Re: The Start of my first warf

Welcome to the world of Warfing, the best value in archery. This may not be your first Warf, they tend to be addictive!

Since the riser already has a lot of reflex, there is a lot of preload on the limbs, which leads to stacking. Reflex risers may be quick, but the trade off is a jerky shot action, and lack of forgiveness. There are a lot better deflex riser options out there for making a decent Warf. Check your local Craigslist, Letgo and OfferUp for deals on suitable risers.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:37 PM

Yeah, I already had that and another old compound just lying around, so I didn't have anything to lose except the time it takes to do it. I like the way it feels in my hand. I would like to find me a set of ILF limbs and do a proper conversion on that. I think it shoots rather smooth, then again I dont have the experience of having shot a lot of different bows and being able to feel the difference.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:05 PM

Outdoor Target Bow: Samick Avante, Hoyt Spectra Warf,

I have a couple of warfs, and I have shot rests on them, and I had a Bear "Black Bear" that I shot off the shelf. I have used either Hoyt Super rest stickons, or the cheap thread in plastic flippers that go into the plunger hole.

Can you give a little more detail about why you built out the limb pockets. The riser already has significant reflex, and building out the pockets added quite a bit. The only reason I can think to build out the pockets would be to adjust the pocket angles.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:09 PM

BH welcome to the forum.
I'm guessing the attach point for the limbs to riser left the limb butt a bit long, so you spaced the limb out to allow the limb butt END to overlap the back end of riser limb pocket.
IF this is it, you effectively increased the reflex, too.....setting the limbs farther away from shooter.
NOT being critical here, just analyzing pros & cons & guessing, some.
NICE JOB......I've not done any conversions myself, except for the easy DAS work on TD-3 Hoyt risers.
I have done a lot of switching things around & trying out different ones.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:28 PM

Steve long, that is exactly why I did what I did. If I had a set of ILF limbs that I could dedicate to that riser I would have done different. However I was using my son's limbs and did not want to damage anything, yet I also wanted to see what it would be like so bad couldnt stand it.I have contemplated cutting the pocket walls down, it's just I'm not sure bbn if it will mess with the structural integrity of the pocket area where it meets the riser or not.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
I have a couple of warfs, and I have shot rests on them, and I had a Bear "Black Bear" that I shot off the shelf. I have used either Hoyt Super rest stickons, or the cheap thread in plastic flippers that go into the plunger hole.

Can you give a little more detail about why you built out the limb pockets. The riser already has significant reflex, and building out the pockets added quite a bit. The only reason I can think to build out the pockets would be to adjust the pocket angles.

The reason I built out the pockets like I did was so that I could use the limbs to my son's bow with minimal amount of modifications. I certainly did not want to damage his limbs in any way, and doing that allowed the butt of the limbs to ride over pocket wall. It was more or less an experiment to see what it would be like. I still want to get a set of dedicated limbs for it and do it right. Mill the pockets down or something so that the limbs set inside the pockets.

I like the screw in rest. That may be something I'll try out. I like the idea of bringing the arrow back to center. That is one thing about warfing an old compound. They are cut way past center then brought back by the arrow rest.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:40 AM

BH - Thought I'd mention that a fellow Tradtalker (EyeIrritant) has a Bear riser listed in the classifieds for a very reasonable amount if you are looking for another option. Your riser does look very reflexed, but by the sounds of things those #35 limbs are a good match with it. Enjoy.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=Hojo;1514311]BH - Thought I'd mention that a fellow Tradtalker (EyeIrritant) has a Bear riser listed in the classifieds for a very reasonable amount if you are looking for another option. Your riser does look very reflexed, but by the sounds of things those #35 limbs are a good match with it. Enjoy.[/QUOTE

Haven't had the time to really get it set up right yet. I think that once I cut the riser pockets so I can get rid if the plywood spacers it will be better. May not be what most people would call ideal, but that is where ignorance can become bliss. Since I don't know what ideal feels like, I won't be disappointed, right?😁

Tags
start, warf