Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Social Group Forums > Friends of the NRA

Old 06-06-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Light barrels and groups

Been fooling with a different bullet in my 7-08 carbine. Way back when they were new I tried the Nosler Ballistic Tip in my Rem. Model 7, and they were the most accurate bullet I ever shot. Those were 140 grains.

I've shot others, including a long 'flirtation' with various Barnes 'X' bullets and they group well enough, *but* tinkerers gotta tinker.

So I decided to try the 120 grain Ballistic Tip, which gets some very good reviews on various shooting forums.

Also decided to try a few different powders I had on hand, 4064 and Varget, plus the 'new' CFE 223. Results were 'meh'.

So I went back to the powder cabinet and pulled out a can of trusty W-760. Loaded 5 rounds. Went to the range this morning, took my sweet time, not letting the barrel get hot (it tends to wander if I do).

The result was 5 shots into a hair under one inch. 5. Not 3. From a light carbine. Yeah, I'll take that any time.

Accuracy 2 copy.jpg

If I quit, them b*'s win.
Remove Ads
Old 06-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Light barrels and groups

Note - I'm not saying this powder/bullet combo will work great for you and your gun, just that each gun has preferences, and paying attention is worthwhile. Why is this? I don't know, ask the Gun Whisperer! 8^)

Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 AM

One thing I did right (for a change) was to pay attention to barrel temperature. I *know* but often forget that the skinny barrel on this gun will 'walk' groups around if I let it get hot.

I fired two fowling shots, waited a few, then shot 5 with a few minutes between each. Barrel was always comfortable to the touch.

Lately I've been thinking about another gun, with a longer heavier barrel, but since hunting *should be* a one or two shot proposition, it really isn't necessary.

But there's a real beauty on GunBroker.com, at a sweet price...

Old 06-06-2020, 11:15 AM

I've heard of a few guys running shorter fluted barrels on the 7-08 to keep the stiffness up without adding a lot of weight.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:58 PM

With light barrel guns its largely about getting a load that tunes the oscillation of of that particular gun.

If you only worried about the first shot you can often get good results by having a stable stock support the barrel.
Grunkle (06-28-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
I've heard of a few guys running shorter fluted barrels on the 7-08 to keep the stiffness up without adding a lot of weight.
Nothing wrong with that idea but the gun is 30+years old, and the cost of re-barrelling would be more than it's worth. Some of the new carbon-wrapped barrels are likewise interesting but same deal.

Anyway, I don't often hunt where long shots are the norm. If I did I'd own a different gun.

I have to add, ten + minutes to send 5 rounds gets boring ;-)

Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 PM

Oh I meant instead of going with a long heavy barrel, not a rebarrel on your current one.

I agree the carbon barrels are pretty cool. Seen a few ARs with them.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:46 AM

" Oh I meant instead of going with a long heavy barrel..."

I'd actually prefer a 'medium sporter' barrel, around 22 inches, for 'shootability'. Also it's an easy way to gain velocity without going to a bigger round (vs an 18" carbine.)

It would be interesting to try three different guns, same model, caliber etc. with three different barrels all the same length - sporter, fluted, and carbon wrapped - and compare for feel, balance, stability etc.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboniac View Post
With light barrel guns its largely about getting a load that tunes the oscillation of of that particular gun.
Interesting. Not sure why different powders would affect accuracy if you're shoving the same bullet to the same velocity. Burn rates/acceleration?

Old 06-07-2020, 05:36 AM

every explosion has different characteristics.
same rule applies with bull barrells, still got to tune load to the particular rifle harmonics.
we used to do ladder test or pyramid, call it what you will, for both bullet seating depth, and powder charges.....and primer pocket tension using different reamers and seaters and primers. we bought big lots of same lot numbers for consistency....for brass, powder and primers.
it can get to be tedious......but what a great game!
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
Interesting. Not sure why different powders would affect accuracy if you're shoving the same bullet to the same velocity. Burn rates/acceleration?
Oh ya theres a lot more. Like how evenly a particular power at a particular load in as particular case tends to burn. Which will effect velocity - and occilation.

And there are even more nuanced possibilities powder burning outside the barrel, different gas velocities and and differences in bullet deformation.

It to much to figure out beyond trial error for me, but no matter what the less oscillation the less effect the other variable will have.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:21 AM

I shoot nose heavy guns best offhand or with improvised rests. Unfortunately that means I'm carrying more weight than I like or spending a ton on a stock.

20-22" seems like a nice spot to be for the -08 based rounds.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:12 AM

Hunting Bow: WhitetailII Warf, Hoyt carbon wood limbs
3D Bow: Hoyt Excel, Hoyt wood/glass limbs

I don't know where to begin. I'll keep it short. I would cut off one of my legs before giving up my 7-08 Rem. mountain rifle.
It's a one shot rifle that takes down game and it groups fairly decent.

Jim