Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Social Group Forums > Friends of the NRA

Old 12-16-2019, 05:45 AM

Default 280 Remington?

Was recently reading an article comparing the 270 Winchester to the 7mm Remington Magnum. Both good guns, long history.

( - https://www.fieldandstream.com/story...ington-magnum/ )

My thought was, why not just 'split the difference' and get a 280 Remington?

Anybody shoot one?

I had an old Remington 742 in this caliber, accurate enough but even with small base dies I just couldn't get reloads to work in it reliably. Gave it to a friend with the advice to use factory loads only. Probably rusting away in his basement...

If I quit, them b*'s win.
Remove Ads
Old 12-16-2019, 06:29 AM

Default Re: 280 Remington?

Not a fan of any caliber that the company renamed it 3 times, to generate sales. haha.
I think the .30-'06 is a masterpiece.....& so anything based on that cartridge case is automatically a winner for me......30-'06, .270, .25-'06......
so even though I don't see THE NEED for the .280 or .284 line of calibers, I can see if you want a big semi-auto or pump rifle, you might want the Remington action in this .280 caliber.
I've never owned a .280 but I shot a friend's gun in the 742, and it was barely ok for accuracy, more like 3 inch groups at 100 yards off bags with a good scope, with factory ammo. not good, but an ok rifle for running coyotes, since that's a hope & a prayer anyway. owner was a hounds-coyote-hunter, so he was used to spraying the hillside down with lead and bad hits.
If I wanted a semi auto in a fairly large caliber I'd probably buy a .308.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Steve, I suspect that in a good tuned bolt action, with good loads, it could be somebody's one do-it-all gun. 140's for deer, 160's for bigger game.

I owned that 742 because it was cheap and a friend needed money. A couple guys borrowed it over the years and killed deer with it, so no complaints there.

I'm not actively shopping for one, but...

Old 12-16-2019, 07:37 AM

Hunting Bow: DAS

I owned one of the original Remington 700s when they brought out the 7mm-06 designation. I've owned several .280s since. I wanted to love the caliber for the reasons you mentioned above but the .270 has done everything I need and more. With hand loaded Nosler Partitions I watched it drop a moose in Canada (the Indian guide borrowed the gun). With soft point bullets I've had deer go a few feet but every deer I shot with it using 130 Remington Bronze Points, and it's quite a few, dropped like hit with a sledge hammer.

The 280 on paper seems to have it all but in practice it wasn't enough to warrant a change.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:31 AM

The .280 is simply another offspring of the venerable .30-06 case. Unfortunately for the .280, the .270 was introduced 30 years earlier and became a huge success with shooters, thanks in no small part to highly respected gun writer, Jack O'Connor.

Despite Remington's best efforts to re-brand the .280, it could never get out from behind the .270's shadow. I've killed a few deer with the 7mm Rem Mag and don't see why the .280, which uses the same .284 diameter bullets, wouldn't be just as effective on deer and elk sized game as the .277 offerings. I have to wonder if Jack O'Connor been using a .280 for 30 years before the introduction of the .270, would the roles have been reversed? Very possible.

As Phil said: "The 280 on paper seems to have it all but in practice it wasn't enough to warrant a change." Perfect summary.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Well, I certainly wouldn't advocate 'changing' from 30-'06, or 270 (or 308 or whatever you have on hand) but if a young fella was looking for one do-it-all rifle it might be a good choice. Especially if there was a good one on the 'used' rack at a local gun shop.

I'm happy enough with my little 7-08 carbine (Rem. Model 7) but on a recent hunt longer shots were possible than I ever faced locally. A heavier gun, with a 22 inch barrel, would have been a nice thing to have at hand.

(And no, not really interested in joining the church of 6.5 Creedmoor ;-) )

Old 12-17-2019, 06:27 PM

my boy's boss just called me the other day asking advice on his ordered 6.5 creedmore. actually it was more regarding scoping it, but we talked bullets some too.
Rem model SEVEN is an awesome little rifle, and I love the 7-08 caliber too.
I had a SEVEN in .222 for 2 years, a great little walking coyote / calling gun.
so light. wish I still had it.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:09 AM

Had it 33 years now, half my life! Still a little sweetie, but a mans eye will roam ;-)

There is actually a 7mm based on the 30 TC case - the parent of the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's the 7mm GPC. Could be a reloader's dream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7mm_GPC

But I'd probably opt for a 'factory' cartridge, if I were looking...

Dang, now I 'need' to visit the local gun shop and roam the aisles.

Last edited by Dana C; 12-18-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:24 AM

I LIKE your 7-08 caliber, as I can make cases for it from .308 LAPUA cases.
Same for my Dad's old model 70 in .243.
I had a 7-08 in a Rem 700 for a short period of time, sold it, feeling I don't need anything that large, at the time, kind of a foolish thought process, eh?
I have quite a supply of old NORMA cases for my .220Swift, and they are good cases as well.
I have a lifetime supply of Lapua and Norma cases for my old .222, too, so - - guessing I probably need to find a model Seven in .260 or 7-08 or .308 to feel like I have it all covered, haha.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:27 AM

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a Model 700 in 260 Remington. With a 22 inch barrel and ballistics that slightly improve on the 6.5 Creedmoor, could be the berries. And with all these guys chasing the 6.5 CM it could be a bargain.

(You can make 7-08 cases from any of the 308 'family' but the neck on the 7-08 is a bit longer and brass oal is as well. I don't bother...)

Old 01-04-2020, 08:05 PM

If not going to the higher BC stuff the 7mm bullets offer, then there's no reason to go to one.

Since most folks shoot critters under 300 yards, the advantage may not be needed/noticed.

Just something to kick around the campfire.

The .270 got a ton of press from Oconner. That stuff still lives on.
A guy blasting woodland 8 pointers inside of 100 yards with one...........can make all the claims he wants.

Hard to argue with success.

But, success at that distance proly could be had with anything.

I had a 7 mag, BDL. Nice rifle (think '76 vintage). Nothing spectacular, nothing bad either. 160 grainers at max. Comfy.

More comfy than the .300 Winmag I replaced it with.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:40 AM

Hookeye, did you read the article linked in the OP? I like it but feel it leaves out this under-rated 'compromise'.

Many of us don't shoot long range, so discussions of 'the best 400 yard caliber' leave us cold, but versatility matters. I'd shoot a bear with my 'little' 7-08 but only with a 'super' bullet, at modest range. 154 grains would probably be my upper limit. (For deer I can concoct a 120 grain load that doesn't kick much.)

A 280 would give me an edge going up in bullet weight, but not down. Which would matter for bears at close range, or elk for instance, further out.

Then again, if I lived in elk country I'd have an elk rifle in the safe already ;-)

Anyway, it's all an excuse to wander around the gun shop looking for bargains!

Old 01-05-2020, 02:44 AM

I guess we could argue which is better - one 'versatile' rifle, or a safe full of guns optimized towards particular applications. Or somewhere in between?

The 30-'06 has long been touted as a great all-around rifle, for it's ability to shoot wide range of available bullets.

(And who among us only shoots one bow?)

Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 PM

If I wanted a comfy long action bolt rig for deer, I'd just get a .25-06.
Would work for yotes and chucks too.

If wanting something for deer or bigger, and not shooting far (300 and under).........just get a .30-06.

Think just about anything works under 300 LOL.

I have a .243 win 700 for varmints.
My .35 rem 760 is a magic wand in the deer woods.
And a boring .30-06 in plastic stock is for deer or bigger.

Nothing fancy. Boring.

But if a nice Ruger #1B in .25-06 comes along.........
Old 01-13-2020, 10:53 PM

If I need to shoot over 180 grainers I'd get a .35 Whelen.
250's