» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 06-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs
Default Re: Time to check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan View Post
Humid today, it is my 69th birthday. I celebrated still being alive by shooting two quarters tossed across my 4' by 7' target stack from about 20'. The quarter tosser had five quarters, I got two of them. He is fine, not even one dent or scratch.
I thought you are supposed to shoot aspirins.
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2020, 02:20 PM

Thanks, you only get one 69th birthday.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:25 PM

Happy birthday pavan!

About to go teach my girlfriend how to fish with a spinning setup this evening. Should be a good time, if it's like most things she'll quickly be better at it than I am and I won't have to worry about getting skunked when we're camping.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:04 PM

hey Paven .... happy birthday
Old 06-26-2020, 03:30 PM

happy birthday from the other side of the state
Old 06-26-2020, 04:00 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Happy birthday. Mine is also coming up, though I won't say exactly when for security reasons. This year going out will mean ordering Grub Hub delivery. We are seeing an increase in infections here, many attributed to family gatherings. I need to stay hunkered down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hank D Thoreau For This Useful Post:
gillchaser (06-26-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 AM

HDT, I went to my favorite restaurant, I recently set the owner up with a recurve and some arrows. Then he runs out of prime rib on my birthday. He fixed the problem with two 12 ounce fillet mignons. Looked around found some really old generic allergy things smaller than a baby aspirin, but no aspirins in the house. When i get a little better later this summer I will go to pennies. I have never tried to hit an aspirin. Coins can be tossed across, about a 12 to 15 foot lob and land on a tarp while the thrower hides behind an angled 3/4" sheet of plywood. That straight up toss is both dangerous and cheating, the object is virtually standing still. Anyone can hit a quarter at 20 feet when it is standing still. My neighbors think that I am going to paint my house where I scraped and then mow my lawn. Boy do i have them fooled. I am staying in the house and work on learning Bach 565 on my guitar today. Too hot for me out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtuTCy8RXg
Old 06-27-2020, 12:29 PM
Civil but Disobedient

pavan, moving objects is really tough for a target style shooter like me. We had a guy with a machine that threw targets. It is more like trap where you are shooting more instinctive. I have been a bit unsatisfied with my precision on the guitar lately. I think some of it is from diminishing near vision. I have gone back to practicing stuff I did in my first year of playing; from the night school class I took: simple finger picking arpeggios just focusing on good finger placement and tone using three fingers in a more classical approach, rather than my blues style picking. This is not unlike archery. Sometimes you have to go back to the beginning and re-focus on fundamentals. So I work on G-Em-C-D7, first position, leading into each chord using a half step chromatic and just focusing on good finger position and hitting everything clean with the tips of my fingers. I plan on doing simple exercises like this every day until I clean up my playing. That said, after doing the foundational drills, I practice the good stuff. I have been increasing my pallet a bit, adding some jazz chord voicings into my blues and learning to play jazz style walking bass. I like the walking bass. It is the style that I am focusing on for bass guitar so it helps that I am also learning it on the acoustic guitar. The hardest part is keeping focus since the changes come fast. I really need to relying on muscle memory and not think about what I am doing. As soon as I start thinking too much, I end up stalling, while I figure out where to go next. This is also a lot like archery where you have to give up control to get control. Life is full of isomorphisms like this. There is great power in taking something you know, finding commonality with what you want to learn no matter how different the activities are, and exploiting the commonality. I made a career out of doing that, which is why I have be able to do some many different things, in different fields.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:09 PM

Yes, I had one day that a high B flat on the end of a line of the Bach Chaconne seemed to have a ghost hair on the note. Not long after, i was wearing reading glasses to play. No matter how many years one has been playing, dysfunctional tension can sneak up on you and force you to slow down. I am currently fighting that. Tariq Harb has been posting some YouTubes, to me as well as others, to develop better technique to resolve those right hand tension issues and get better tone when playing fast. It may interest you to know that many of the JS Bach diminished and augmented harmonies, that he used to walk music from dark and light aspects in relation to the lyrics of his cantatas were not used until the modern jazz era. Mozart set his change by using the circle of 5ths techniques. The Bach chord system at times used the circle of 5ths, but he would go off shredding into extremely complicated sub-units. Thelonious Monk, gravitated to the Bach harmonies in the 50s. To R and B people it may have sounded weird at first, but to Bach people it made perfect sense.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:42 PM
Civil but Disobedient

I hear more and more about Bach's influence on modern music.

To quote Radar O'Reilly, Ah, Bach.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:43 PM

Went out tonight to kill a stray mangy tom cat that has killed the baby squirrels and baby rabbits, all of the neighbors want it gone. I tried calling it in. A no show. Bach was indeed great, but he was not alone. This guy is incredible and so is the piece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_knh...&start_radio=1
Old 06-28-2020, 12:37 PM

She caught something on her first cast! Not a keeper, much too small, but impressive either way.

40+mph winds here today - not really pleasant to do anything in unfortunately. Working around the house instead.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Is that a rock fish?
Old 06-28-2020, 02:55 PM

Juvenile, hasn't sprouted a tail yet. Still managed to put up a heck of a fight.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 PM

40 MPH sounds good to me!
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Tags
check, time