Trad Talk Forums banner

What you hunting with this year

Tags
hunting year
21K views 65 replies 52 participants last post by  leemeyers1 
#1 ·
I’m leaning towards my 46 lb Striker classic. I love my 52 lb predator. But the truth is I’m a tad bit more consistent with the lighter draw weight . May have to get some lighter limbs for the predator. Plus the striker is dang near silent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Tradtech titan II riser outfitted with 53# @ 28 inches Morrison Max medium limbs, which make a 60 inch bow. GT Trad XT 340 shafts with 150 grain inserts and 175 grain VPA 3 blade broadheads, fletched with 5 inch vanes for a 670 grain arrow. Drawn to 28 1/2 inches, the Titan II will spit these arrows out at 180 fps.

#6 ·
Guys its a long ways off for me at this point, still 3d season. lol

21" Border Tempest with 45lb long Hex 7.5 limbs. Ill use a 3 blade head, probably a 350 spine arrow, but havent started tuning yet.

Reactions: Thorsten
#9 ·
Long time time lurker here, finally taking the plunge...

As of right now, I'll be running my 21" Satori riser with ACS limbs, giving me a 54@29.5 and 64" setup. That bow is loving full length Easton Axis 400s with a 300 Grain VPA Terminator, coming in right around 600 Grains at 190 FPS.

September can't get here fast enough.

#14 ·
I may be changing mine up. Picked up a 50 lb Striker classic. Arrows will be victory trads. either 550s with 135 grain single bevel northern broadhead total weight 526grains or 450s same broadheads total weight 596 grains. Still letting the string stretch & playing with brace height. The 550s have the 80 grain inserts/outserts. The 450s have same but a 70 grain brass screw on the backside. total of 150 plus the 135 broadhead. I shot these broadheads checking point of impact. They seem to fly right with the field points. Have yet to sharpen. hoping for razor sharp. Dang I cant wait . Season starts OCT 1. usually don't get too excited till last week of Oct. First adult deer within 15 yards is going in the freezer.

Lots of interesting bows listed.

#17 ·
I need to figure it out but I have to decide between a W&W Black Wolf Riser, TAC Firefly, or Bernardini Mamba riser. And for limbs either medium Black Wolf limbs, or Kaya. In shorts I have SF Elite+ and Border Hex 6. All at about 40#-45# except for the Black Wolf which is 50#. Decisions.

#19 ·
This will be my fourth season hunting. Only last season did I finally get a decent shot on a deer with a compound. Where I hunt in central Wisconsin, the license comes with a buck tag and two antlerless tags this year. The easiest way to harvest deer on that property is to just sit on the side of the garage and wait for does to feed from the apple tree in the backyard. Unfortunately, it's a 30 yard shot. Fine with a compound, but questionable with traditional gear.

I will get meat on the table with a compound first, then perhaps try using my longbow from a blind closer to the tree. Or get in a stand for a closer shot along one of the trails they frequent. Traditional hunting set-up would be a galaxy ember with 50# longbow limbs (probably 45# at my draw length) and easton camo hunter 2314s. I am confident with this setup on game out to 15 yards anytime, and 20 yards in ideal conditions.

#22 ·
Well seeing that I recently purchased the exact 50# Striker Classic from none other than “burntmuch” I’m up in the air between that and my 60# Damon Howatt Hunter. I will probably get some meat in the freezer with the Hunter and then take the new Striker Classic out about midway thru the season after I get a little better with it.

#23 ·
Hope you’re liking that striker. I ve come full circle. Back to my 46 lb predator recurve. Just couldn’t get used to the long bow grip. I’ve been shooting it so much . Shot my compound today, felt totally awkward & uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
And I recently got a Prana from Hurst bows. A really good hunting bow.
I broke in it last week end in a tough mountain hunt with a muflon sheep.
I asked Coltin the Bowyer to make the grip close to same specs than the Big foot
and i feel very comfortable. Those animals are really elusive. I shot it past 25 yards on a walking target in thick place.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.