Trad Talk Forums banner

Favorite 3 piece takedown longbow

8K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Brad Lehmann 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a 3 piece takedown longbow and want to know what everyone recommends. Im not looking for the best because I know that's a matter of opinion. Unfortunately where I live in central texas there aren't many places for me to go and try bows out. I haven't found many people that deal in trad so getting my hands on every kind I want to try is probably not gonna happen. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
I realize that but seeing as how there is no way for me to physically try them then opinions is all I have and they are taken with a grain of salt and appreciated. Thwts why I want them. Otherwise I could just blind guess on what looks pretty and is expensive i suppose!

#6 ·
I’m not a longbow shooter but loved my habu death adder. Shouldn’t have sold it.
If I was in the market to buy a longbow my options would be
Omega imperial, Kegan is top notch.
Javaman impala supreme.
Timberpoint Medusa or kraken.

Note they are all long bows, not short longbows.
That’s me and what I would be reaserching.

Chad

#7 ·
DAS 17" Dalaa riser and Centaur ILF longbow limbs.
Not a bolt-down 3 piece if that is your goal.
I had a 3-piece Stewart Slammer bolt down longbow a few years back that was a great bow.

#11 ·
There are a few custom bowyers that have a try before you buy option.

Black widow does for sure but they are 2 piece.

For a wood riser 3pc. Longbow, Dryad, Morrison, stalker, centar.

Tons of options for metal ILF. Heck, a black Bear Warf with a set of long Dryad LB limbs would be a great economical option. Tons of risers on the classified ads and I’ve seen lots of ILF long bow limbs on there too.

#13 ·
Everyone on here will give you their favorite. Don't mean squat unless you can shoot one.
Try going on here and other sites and posting about trying bows of guys near you.
Tell them where you are, what poundage you can handle, even RH or LH.
Sadly right now guys are going into hunting season so less likely to have the extra time to help you.
But you never know until you ask.

Reactions: wdw52001
#14 ·
Wstrayer is correct. That's why there's a 'Location' under Join Date. If you're in SE WI, come on over and shoot different lengths (except short) and about any poundage you can name. Oh yea, I forgot to mention you'll have to do that after Thanksgiving.

Bowmania

#15 ·
Check out thetradlab - Facebook & www. Cody is doing a lot of analytics including longbows. I myself have 3 longbows: 63" Juniper Mountain (Jerry Stout), Long Bosen Double carbon over bamboo core ILF limbs on a 21" Bernardini Cobra and my go-to for hunting a 62" Black Swan Hybrid.

#16 ·
I been looking at the A&H 3 piece. I have shot a few over the years. Only bows I hit the spot with first arrow. Not cheap but they do preform well. I just have to get over the “3 piece LB” look. But at 75 years old I may need to change limbs to lower weight more often in future.

#21 ·
Dryad is in Weatherford, TX so there may be an opportunity to get your hands on one? I've owned a couple and they're great shooters.

My all time favorite hybrid was a 21" Hoyt Excel with Dryad LB limbs. Man, I wish I had kept that combo. Of course, I felt the need to upgrade. And what I thought would be an upgrade wasn't.

#22 · (Edited)
A lot depends on your budget- if your looking to keep the costs down but want excellent quality you might consider DAS bamboo core ILF longbow limbs-

$159.99- do a search here for reviews and info- paired with a White Feather Lark ILF Riser from ALT Services in UK- Carbon and Maple -$169.99. A price

that is less than half what the riser sells for from a USA dealer under a different name. You can also do a White Feather search here.

#23 ·
IMHO and I’m not a big longbow shooter only one in the stable is a one piece Omega Native that I really like.

With that said ive shot a lot of them and depending on money if price was not a part of the equation it would be

Centaur
A&H

If you would consider a one piece it would be hard to find a better performing bow than an Omega

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.