Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 06:49 AM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori
Default Shooting fewer arrows in a practice session...

Wondering about this. I've been shooting about 3 years consistently, and Ive found as time goes on I feel I need to shoot fewer and fewer arrows in a session.

Currently, I find 30-50 arrows to be about the sweet spot. I used to shoot 100-150 arrows per day and just the thought of doing that now seems crazy.

After around 50-75 arrows the subtle fatigue effects form and my concentration is fried. I feel like continuing past this point is counter-productive.

Yet I hear guys say they shoot 150-200 arrows in a day and some coaches even suggesting 1000 arrows per week.

Is it just my age [ Im approaching 50 ] ? How many arrows do you feel is optimum in a general practice session?
Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Shooting fewer arrows in a practice session...

Ha, I'm at 12 arrows. Makes you think more about each shot!!!

Bowmania
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowmania For This Useful Post:
KirkMcquest (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 10:16 AM

When hunting was my main thing the only arrow I really cared about was the first one. If it hit where I wanted I only shot enough after that to justify the practice round. Now days when I shoot it’s usually for fun. It’s practicing sure, but not the same as for hunting or a 3D shoot. That means about 60-70 arrows

Old 09-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

When I was competing in FITA target shoots I was shooting about 500 arrows per week. Some sessions were up to about 150 but I was restricted on week nights to less since I had to shoot after work at the range since I was practicing at 70 meters. What I found was that I would eventually start to fatigue from lack of sufficient recovery time. I had a couple occasions where I had to rest for a week before a big tournament just to get my strength back. I was also in my 50's at this time. Even my coach was telling me that I was shooting too much. I eventually cut back. As far as individual practice sessions, I like to finish on a good end. I don't want to reinforce poor execution by continuing to shoot after I am fatigued unless I am specifically practicing for a tournament where I will have to shoot a lot of arrows. Fitness can play be a key factor. A few years ago I won an iron man shoot that was a 14 target field round, a 3D and a 600 round in the same day. The next year I was not in the same shape after coming out of physical therapy and I could hardly get through the field round after the 3D. 1000 arrow per week is more for serious competitors who are in good shooting shape. Unless you are dedicated to shooting it will be hard to get in that many arrows in a week. Maybe if you are focusing on indoor archery or you have an outdoor lighted range.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:18 PM

Hunting Bow: Compound/Galaxy Ember LB
3D Bow: Fleetwood Timber Ridge LB/compound
Outdoor Target Bow: Compound
Indoor Target Bow: SF Forged plus w/ Elite limbs/compound

I feel that it kinda depends on where you are at and what your goals are.

If you are already an experienced successful hunter and your only real goal is to maintain your current skill level, that doesn't require very much practice time. These folks will know what is or is not 'enough' for them.

On the other end of the spectrum is the competitive target archer who's goal is to improve. Many competitions are at least 156 arrows including the practice ends. If you are not shooting that many arrows each practice session, good luck at the shoot. Some practice should simulate competition and other practice may focus on weak areas like endurance, accuracy, consistency, or specific technique concerns.

Developing archers might be anywhere in between depending on where they are at and what they are working on.

Then there is the recreational archer no real goals besides having fun. To that I say shoot as much or as little as you like. Whatever you enjoy. Some might enjoy shooting a low draw weight for hours or a heavy draw weight whenever they can squeeze in 30 minutes. Whatever floats your boat. As long as you're having fun, who cares?

just my two cents,
-B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bow Rider For This Useful Post:
barking mad (09-13-2020), Coodster (09-13-2020), p508 (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:10 PM

Default Shooting fewer arrows in a practice session...

Iíll shoot 10 - 3 arrow (controlled focused) ends daily as maintenance.
If I decide to work on something specific Iíll do more till objective is met or I start to fade.
~ Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2020, 12:02 AM

This afternoon, shooting at a deer target, I shot one arrow. 120 times with two blank draws for every released draw, all right handed. Tomorrow, it will be left handed.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:20 AM
wannabe

Quality over quantity.

Shooting good, controlled shots is vastly preferrable to racking up numbers.

-Groucho Marx-
Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 AM
Barebow recurve

It depends on the intended purpose and goal. For competition, you want your last shot to be as strong as the first, so north of 62 for NFAA field, 100 for WA target, and 50 for 3D. For hunting, you want to see 8-9 out of 10 arrows in the kill zone. Once hitting that landmark, I would focus on frequent shorter practice sessions in varied terrain and conditions. For recreational shooting, it's as many as you like.

In any case, you want to practice good shots, not bad ones. When fatigue sets in, mental or physical, take a break or end the session. You want to finish on a good note. Keep pushing that limit until it improves to the level of your intended purpose and goal.

Like athletics, weightlifting, calisthenics, etc, periodicity is beneficial as well as quality recovery time, good nutrition, and general fitness. Archery is a form and endurance sport, not an aiming or strength sport - it is good to remember that. :-)
Old 09-14-2020, 07:35 AM

I found myself having similar issue when shooting at heavier poundage. I would be tired by the time I get to my 50th shot of the session. This is one of the reasons I don't shoot beyond 30# any more. You may try doing the same if you want to shoot more.

Surely, higher poundage gives a flatter trajectory which helps in getting tighter groups. But lighter poundage has a positive side where you're forced to discipline yourself to a consistent draw length. It's also beautiful to watch the arrows go up and down at long distance shots.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:42 PM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

As an older fellow, with some pretty significant muscular issues, I had to find a way to have fun without damage. Might work for others, or could be I am such an oddball it is useless for general shooters. If you are finding significant fatigue you can end up hurting your shoulders..

For me, no more than 2 sessions a week. In a ~2 hr session: "Light" limbs- ~100 arrows / 6 per end. "Heavier" limbs- ~50 arrows / 3 per end. With light limbs I

I have been doing something odd recently that seems to be working for me, or at least giving me ability to shoot for longer: Shooting my light limbs for first hour for short ranges, maybe 30 arrows. Then opening up for an hour with my heavier limbs/longer ranges, about 30 arrows, then either quit or go back down to the lighter limbs.

There is never anyone at my range, so walking back and forth takes no time...
Old 09-15-2020, 07:01 AM

2 dozen limit especially in August when I'm practicing with a heavier bow (Wyo elk hunting requirement). I do like to finish on a perfect shot.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:43 AM

Somethng about shooting a bow that keeps me shooting. Sometimes to the point that accuracy suffers from fatigue.
I try and shoot 40 to 50 arrows a session but there are times when I will only shoot 20 or so just to work on form and concentration.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Spearhead

Hunting Bow: DAS Tribute, 64” PMA B/W ebony
3D Bow: See above
Outdoor Target Bow: Luxor, Sky TR7
Indoor Target Bow: Stolid bull vanquish/Border Tempist

Bone you better hurry up, damn kids are killing everything. Son shot antelope, elk then his friend shot antelope and elk, next is filling girlfriends tags, then they are focusing on rifle deer. Better get up here soon lol.

Chad
Old 09-16-2020, 10:06 AM

Hunting Bow: Tac Firefly samick athletes [email protected]
3D Bow: Das elite
Outdoor Target Bow: Spigarelli vbs 2001

Wow! You can shoot your girlfriends deer down there? They better get a couple three galfriends each then!

Tags
arrows, fewer, practice, session, shooting