Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 09-13-2020, 06:31 PM

Default Have you owned a 2 piece bow that was a problem?

Theres a lot of 2 piece systems out there and even more makers using them.
And I think at least one person is happy with each of them.

But I wondering has anyone had a negative experience with any of them? Feel free to name or not name the bowyer, but do explain what system was used and why it didnt work for you.

There systems that look better to me than others. But Im wondering is anyone actually had any problems.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Have you owned a 2 piece bow that was a problem?

Had a socket style bow which fell apart. It was one of the first the Bowyer had attempted so I can't really blame them. They got the geometry of the grip halves wrong which created a wedge.
Archery is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your score is, what place you are in) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grantmac For This Useful Post:
Carboniac (09-14-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 09:18 PM

Following this as well.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: Howatt Venom
3D Bow: Same
Outdoor Target Bow: Howatt Catalina

Had 2-3 poorly made sleeve types that were loose quickly and a couple that got too hard to pull apart. For the difference in price and convenience, I would go with a three piece every time.
Carboniac (09-14-2020), mwestvang (09-14-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 09:48 PM

As i told i had 2 bows with bow bolt showing a little gap on the back of the bow riser when strung. Bow was working but I couldn't stand with that thing an sold the bows. I agree with Larry if you need really a TD bow, 3 piece is the safer and the most reliable. In addition it allows extra limbs, as back up or if you want different bow poundage.
The Following User Says Thank You to hybridbowhunter For This Useful Post:
Carboniac (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 05:53 AM

I've had 4. Don't have any now, but 2 broke before I started with 3 piece bows. I had a bowyer tell me concerning 2 pieces that every shot was one shot closer to failure.

Bowmania
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowmania For This Useful Post:
Carboniac (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 07:05 AM

I have a Big Jim 2 piece Thunderchild, never had any issues. Has to be waxed every so often but quick & super easy. I think its a good system as long as its built by someone who knows what they are doing and Big Jim definately does. I allso a bow-bolt which now a days is only done using a G10 or micarta riser, usually without issues. They do tend to have a tiny gap which i know some folks hate.
Another option in a two piece would be bolted and pinned 2-piece which Jim Neaves at Centaur offers and Timberpoint also offer's. Probably the most bullit proof of any 2 piece but generally more expensive and not as quick to take apart. I have a Timberpoint on order which I doubt I will take apart very often unless I travel. For ease of take apart and travel, a three piece is a great option unless you want a thinner riser for the feel of a one piece longbow. In that case, I would go with a Locket-Socket.
Probably best to figure out what you want in a bow and then see who offers what.

Last edited by DeweyP; 09-14-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:39 AM

J.K. Chastain Wapiti Spike longbows with his system are never an issue. They are a locket socket system which was there way before anybody called it the locket socket.
What it needs is a tiny hole or slit in the grip material to be connected to the hole in the sleeve at the bottom of the socket. This will prevent a vacuum to form and make it almost impossible to get it apart. This is the dame issue with the 2 piece metal sleeves. They need a hole to prevent a vacuum to form.
Only problem I ever had was with a 2 piece Morrison Dakota longbow which used a connection hinge system. I think this connection hinge was not made from the right steel. The screws in the ebony riser did not work well. I repaired the riser with all fiberglas and epoxy and it is working good again.
For me: J.K. Chastain Locket socket style/ 2 metal sleeves. Both systems work well for slender grips like I need. Prefer the small sleeve of the 2 metal piece system for grip size.
The pinned centaur system is nice, but too expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to tecum-tha For This Useful Post:
Carboniac (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 08:35 AM

So far my confidence level isn’t that high about the sleeve, bow bolt system. I know Black Widow uses the Locket Socket system and when I toured the shop we were given a demo on how they are done. But, the bow I am interested in uses the bow bolt.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
So far my confidence level isnít that high about the sleeve, bow bolt system. I know Black Widow uses the Locket Socket system and when I toured the shop we were given a demo on how they are done. But, the bow I am interested in uses the bow bolt.
I currently have 2 bow bolt bows by 2 different very well know bowyers and have had no failures. Both bows have had thousands of arrows throw them. Both bows bolt systems feel just as tight as the day i first received them and both have been broken down countless numbers of time. I've never owned a socket style because I feel with the number of times I take the bows apart it could loosen the socket fit unlike the bolt system. I would say buy a bolt system from Toelke or Java with confidence.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAH518 For This Useful Post:
Tom M (09-14-2020)

Tags
bow, owned, piece, problem