Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 11:27 PM

Default Newbie help please!

So I bought my first ILF bow. Purchased low poundage limbs for training. I read that before you even think about tuning your bow or arrows you need to have decent form. I understand hand placement posture, consistent repeatable anchor, back tension, stiff bow arm. Where should I start as far as getting to that point where I can start tuning? And when do you know that you are at that point? Or was I misinformed? I tried to find a local coach or shoot but with covid no such luck. Any tips or training plans that could get me to be proficient enough to start tuning would be amazing. Working on trying to video myself shooting but it’s tricky by yourself!
Remove Ads
Old 11-18-2020, 05:00 AM

Hunting Bow: Bob Lee Signature Exotic TD Recurve
Default Re: Newbie help please!

I'm no coach and not all that great a shot. But a few suggestions for somone learning on their own:

0. Safety first. Shoot in a safe place where misses won't do any damage to people or things. Always inspect your arrows (cracked arrow or nock yields disaster).
1. I would sugggest you use a dynamic spine calculator and get 3 arrows "tuned" to reasonably close for you and your set-up. Even if your form really sucks, you need half way decent arrow to work with.
2. Decide between 3-under and split. Choose. Your bow may dictate that for you.
3. Shoot at 10-yards or less. Less is better. 5 to7 is best to start. Don't move back till you're grouping 4" or better.
4. See videos on-line and mimic their stance, draw cycle, form, release, etc. Clay Hays has some good videos.
5. If your bow can mount a sight, do so. It'll get you on target faster while you improve your form. You can use a cheap sight. In archery class in college, we put weather strip on the back of the riser and stuck a straight pin in it for a single sight pin. It works. You can learn instinctive, gap shooting, and all that stuff later if you choose to. Or you can just use a decent sight.

I'm sure others will jump in with advise.

Best of luck!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:01 AM

There are loads of You Tube videos that you can learn from. When I started back I was shooting a Samick Sage off the shelf so all I had to do is get my arrow spine right and point weight close. I stayed with full length arrows.
The problem is if you don’t have your gear some what close your arrows will be all over the place even when you get your technique right, very disheartening.
After that I bought my first ILF bow, I bought a plunger and flipper rest and that made things more complicated. Coming from compounds I wanted to simplify things so I ditched the rest and plunger and bought a adjustable side plate and started shooting off the shelf with the ILF, that was a good move.
Then as my form got better I would retune. For the first 4 months I stayed shooting at ten yards.
The one thing that I had the most issue with is tab or glove, split finger or three under. Years ago I always shot split finger and tab. After playing with different holds on the string I settled on split finger with a glove.
Next was aiming, I shot instinctive years ago and after trying many styles I went to instinctive shooting. I only shoot for fun in my yard and hunting so my shots are 20 yards or less.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:40 AM

wcasey755 - Welcome to the forum! Why don't you go to your profile page and fill in some more details about yourself? For instance, providing your location might help someone respond to your particular need.

Youtube is a good source of coaching info if you can't find someone local to you. The real challenge with Youtube is that there is so much content, it's hard to figure out where to start. My recommendation is to open Youtube and search for the pages of Arne Moe and Jimmy Blackmon. You will find the content posted by both of these gentlemen to be very helpful.

My other suggestion is to go online and buy a copy of the book "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. It is a great reference book for stickbow shooters at any level.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:59 AM

welcome to the forum. Great advice above.
yeh there could be someone within 30 minutes of you that you can mask up & go shoot with......and learn a lot from & with - more quickly than by yourself.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:01 AM

If you had put your location down, I would have looked up coaches in your area. Go google 'USA Archery coach locator'.

Bowmania
Old 11-18-2020, 10:16 AM

Hunting Bow: BW PCH III
3D Bow: Black Widow PCH III

Welcome aboard. I watch a great deal of Clay Hayes videos and I eventually purchased "Solid Archery Mechanics" by Tom Clum. Once you buy the course it's yours. Have heard great things about Joel Turner's on-line program as well. Nothing beats live instruction, but I did get a lot out of the Solid Archery Mechanics course including an increase of an inch and a half of draw-length. =) I've had the pleasure and honor of meeting some great stick-bow shooters at ASA events so once the smoke clears, 3-D tournaments are a great way to get pointers on form and equipment.

Good on you for asking folks (not me) on this forum who have a great deal of experience before you went out and picked up a bunch of bad habits being over-bowed and just wining it with your form (me). Hope you enjoy the journey.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:42 AM

Youre right that there no point in tuning if you arent using consistent good form. Theres also not much point in doing anything more than basic tune if you cant make a decent group most of the time.

As someone else noted - using a sight can be helful even if you while you are learning.

The videos by Arne Moe and Jimmy Blackmon on youtube, I reccomend watching.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Hunting Bow: Bob Lee Signature Exotic TD Recurve

You might consider buying a copy of "Shooting the Stick Bow". You can get most of the info off the web, but I like having a book, too.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Haybale Hunter

3D Bow: Hoyt Satori
Outdoor Target Bow: Hoyt Satori

I would just tune everything to neutral...0 tiller, recommended brace height, slightly over 0 nock point....and start shooting.

Just have fun and see where it takes you.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:31 PM

If you are shooting 3 under you might want to start with 5/8 or more nock height.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:44 PM

Learning how to tune and how to shoot were concurrent processes for me. Not so much in a 'Tuning for 10s' sense, more just figuring out how to mess with setup in a semi-deliberate way and getting an idea of what changes have what influence on my shots. Probably not the recommended approach from the Olympic oriented folks, but for learning on my own without a coach I think it was appropriate. Just don't go overboard with it making changes constantly to tighten up your groups.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:18 PM

I appreciate everyone’s help. Ive definitely spent hours upon hours while waiting for my riser watching Arne moe, clum sr, the Push, Etc. I am 40 minutes north of Vancouver Wa. Unfortunately we just announced a shutdown. Will continue to blank bale and look for people nearby.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:56 PM

Deleted

Last edited by OhioChris; 11-20-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:28 PM

Deleted

Last edited by OhioChris; 11-20-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Tags