» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 09-14-2020, 06:45 PM

Hunting Bow: 50# Predator recurve
3D Bow: many
Outdoor Target Bow: ILF
Indoor Target Bow: ILF rig
Default growing tired of ILF bows back to wood

On my archery journey, I have been shooting ILF bows and trying to shoot 3 under and gapping. I have not got the hang of it yet. getting a little discouraged shooting indoor 18M and 50M outdoor some. Last weekend I took the old Bear Hunter shooting split finger, off the shelf to a 3D and had some good shooting. Any others on here went back to wood bows after a stint in the ILF world ?
Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2020, 08:08 AM

Default Re: growing tired of ILF bows back to wood

No reason you can’t shoot split finger on a ilf bow weather on shelf or off rest. I do all the time but found that shooting split finger off a elevated rest is the way to go for me specially when I use my 2 fletched feather Or vanes hunting arrows they flies absolutely amazing with broadheads and I also shoot off shelf on my wood bows. It all works
Old 09-15-2020, 08:36 AM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

I shoot my Bear risers better than ILF too, and am reducing my ILF inventory a bit over time. It is hard to find big (70") older one piece bows in my preferred draw weight, so for me it is Bear B and C risers. I don't know why (Grip? weight? Look/pleasure? All in my mind / I am crazy?)

Still searching for an old 70"-72" ~25# Tamerlane, Tartan, Polar, or something from Hoyt/Pearson/Shakespeare/Black widow.. no luck. Bad shoulder problems keep me in light draw weight ranges, 31.5" draw pushes me to big bows. If you know of anything send me a PM.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Spearhead

Hunting Bow: DAS Tribute, 64” PMA B/W ebony
3D Bow: See above
Outdoor Target Bow: Luxor, Sky TR7
Indoor Target Bow: Stolid bull vanquish/Border Tempist

Well is it the ilf or switching from 3 under to split that you feel is the improvement

Just curious after shooting split all my life basically to switching to 3 under was a difficult path for me personally, first hurdle was having the arrow so close to my eye, I would flinch on release, then a wonderful target panic set in, dedicated to switching to 3 under a full year.
Went back to split and was like night and day and like I never switched, everything cleared right up, scores got better (or to previous scores before switching) and seemed like it helped my target panic.

Now jump forward to this year target panic hit and hit hard.
This is a continuing battle to work on. After doing drills and working on just the disease, shooting just didnít seem as natural for split finger, I was struggling with point on and my gaps.
So jump forward again to June/July one of the days of frustration I Just couldnít seem to hit the bail.
Adjust my nock a bit put my tab under the nock and anchored, seemed like the whole sight picture clicked and felt back tension better. Bought a 3 under tab and have been shooting this way a few months and feels more natural. The few scores I have shot were improvements from past years and seems like this switch to 3 under is going to be permanent. Target panic set aside.

So switching from 3 under to split might be part of your reasoning.

Chad
Old 09-15-2020, 08:57 AM

I've been shooting off the shelf with a wooden ILF riser, split finger. I also shoot from 20 to 60 yards distances at our local club competitions.

You see I didn't have to dump ILF and its flexibility to enjoy a more traditional style of shooting. Though, I would like to shoot with a one-piece recurve someday. 🙂
Old 09-15-2020, 10:16 AM

It takes concerted effort and lots of practice time to adopt a new shooting style. Some folks who have always shot split finger seem to have trouble adopting 3-under for whatever reason.

It's doubtful that the ILF bow itself is to blame since it is actually more conducive to tuning than a one-piece wood riser. A one-piece wood bow has a fixed tiller and its only adjustment is the brace height. Nothing wrong with a one-piece wood bow if that works for you.

Before you totally abandon your ILF rig, I'd suggest you try building up your bow's shelf and strike plate to see what you can achieve with it shooting off the shelf. Maybe you enjoy it more. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

You are using metric distances, 18 and 50 meters. Does that mean you shoot with World Archery folks? World Archery (previously FITA) is the community I started with and spent a lot of time shooting with. My preferred discipline is FITA field, which by the way, the longest shot is 50 meters for a barebow. I used to shoot FITA target which is 90, 70, 50 and 30 meters.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Since I've bought my DH Ventura - a 66" AMO bow - my ILF rigs I used in 3D competitions are sitting. We are under WA rules here and DH Ventura checks all the boxes with flying colors in Instinctive division.
Don't get me wrong though. I like my ILF rigs and will not be sold, but I found the bow who's a perfect match for my needs without blocking a tiller bolt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2aa1.jpg (271.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Draven O; 09-15-2020 at 01:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draven O For This Useful Post:
Glynn (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your sharing your experiences. I have been shooting USA archery at indoor 18M targets and outdoor 50M targets as a way to teach myself to shoot 3 under and using the arrow tip to aim. Trying to get away from shooting instinctive with split finger.
I've been trying to improve my shooting. My favorite shooting is at local 3-D but this target stuff is a lot of fun too.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:00 PM

I just never could get aiming with the arrow tip, it’s so much larger than targets. Maybe it’s easier with a low anchor.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:42 PM

The only reason you shot good at the 3d shoot is because, your mind is back the the cognitive state. Which means your brain is running those baby steps to make sure it's running your shot correctly. But as soon as your mind gets used to shooting that way it will start finding short cuts and your shooting will decline.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:04 AM

An arrow point is very poor sight pin for small targets and longer shots. With the passing of john Schulz, the guys wanted to watch his video. Afterwards the subject of aiming came up. Hill's secondary 'imaginary' aiming method. Hill never mentioned it to the Schulz boys. His explanation was basically acknowledgement of the position of the arrow in the peripheral vision and placing it at a best guess 'imaginary' spot without taking the focus off of the spot one wants to hit. It comes with problematic difficulties, as when one moves to get into shooting position that 'spot' will shift with the position changes of the hunter and the intended game, but it does offer a semblance of correct ability. With consistent focus and form an instinctive shooter will develop their own automatic grooved in relative positions guidelines. When i hear about someone going from a mechanical aiming system to a more eye focus intuitive aiming method, that tells me that they are shooting more with their eyes and mind on the target. With all instinctive approaches the pitfall is that the brain can start taking short cuts. It is the shooters responsibility to recognize the nuances that can keep that form and focus under control and consistent. Oh yes, after the discussion the guys following secondary aiming advice in the Jerry Hill booklet went out and gave it a hardy try. They picked up the concept rather easily, but they also found that at shorter 25 yard and under ranges and mixing up shooting positions that they were all better off sticking to basic instinctive shooting.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:29 PM

Thank you everybody for your insight.

Tags
back, bows, growing, ilf, tired, wood