Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Default Bow Boxes

Stupid question here team, I have a a collection of one piece recurves that I really don't shoot anymore and I would like to either sell or trade. My issue is I don't have the original boxes they came in and I can't locate any in the local shops. Anyone have any suggestions ?
Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2020, 07:07 AM

Hunting Bow: Tac Firefly samick athletes [email protected]
3D Bow: Das elite
Outdoor Target Bow: Spigarelli vbs 2001

4" schedule 20 pvc pipe might work or drainf pipe with the holes along the length that is lightweight. From big box stores

Last edited by metalanton; 09-12-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Bow Boxes

I thought about that but the shipping cost would not be worth it

Old 09-12-2020, 08:19 AM

There's an outfit named ULine, on the world wide webs, that has all sorts of cardboard boxes.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:43 AM

I usually make my own. TV boxes are big enough, appliances can be bu they stopped shipping fridges in boxes.

Cut the cardboard 24" wide, mark and score( use something rounded to crease/indent the cardboard)3", 11" 14" 22" for the folds.

Makes a 3 x 8" box as long as you want.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:34 PM

Tape a couple of arrow boxes together.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba View Post
Tape a couple of arrow boxes together.
I would also add pieces cut to match overall dimensins and add them on the outside to increase strength.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:26 PM

I used to locally source cardboard tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2020, 06:45 AM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

A fellow here suggested using the triangular USPS tubes, put 2 of the long ones together for a bow. I tried it, works well and is free boxes to ship with USPS- and you cannot beat their prices for shipping, so it nets out as a heck of a deal.

I guess that is why they are losing money: Congress mandates services and sets fees below cost.... I sure would not want to manage that business.

Setting up the USPS in the constitution was, to me, equivalent to setting up the internet... it provided a secure, fast, communication network across the nation that was immensely valuable. Our founders were smart fellows!
Old 09-16-2020, 03:39 PM

I've had them shipped to me in arrow boxes taped together. I prefer to get a refrigerator box from the local appliance store and cut a box from that. I wrap it in bubble wrap and cut a pool noodle to slip over the tips.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:55 PM

I use 4X4X60" boxes from Uline. Buy DON'T use them as a square 4X4 box. Leave them flat and put the bow in as flat as possible. Learned this trip from a former postal worker who also owned an archery shop. My shipping damage claims went to Zero after I did this. Also cheaper to send. VintageArchery.Org
Old 09-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkard View Post
I usually make my own. TV boxes are big enough, appliances can be bu they stopped shipping fridges in boxes.

Cut the cardboard 24" wide, mark and score( use something rounded to crease/indent the cardboard)3", 11" 14" 22" for the folds.

Makes a 3 x 8" box as long as you want.
I do this as well. Use heavier cardboard and lightly score the folds, then tape them when the box is finished.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[FONT="Franklin Gothic"
Borders Covert Hunter
Hoyt Buffalo
WolfPaw reflex/deflex
Old 09-16-2020, 06:17 PM

Our founders understood that having a strong communications infrastructure was a good investment in the country's future economy. It still is. And don't forget Congress' franking privilege.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[FONT="Franklin Gothic"
Borders Covert Hunter
Hoyt Buffalo
WolfPaw reflex/deflex

Last edited by Kenlbear; 09-16-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenArrow64 View Post
Stupid question here team, I have a a collection of one piece recurves that I really don't shoot anymore and I would like to either sell or trade. My issue is I don't have the original boxes they came in and I can't locate any in the local shops. Anyone have any suggestions ?
The most effective way to ship a one piece recurve is to get two of the triangular shaped Priority mail boxes from post office, they are free at my post office. These boxes can be folded so either a priority mail or express mail label is on the outside. Take care to fold them so the priority mail side is out. Close one end of each box, but leave one end open.
Wrap the bow with bubble wrap or paper then slide the open end of each box over one end of your bow so the open ends meet in the middle. Tape these two meeting open ends shut. Depending on the length of your bow you may want to cut the open end of one of the boxes so the other box slides inside of it or if it is a long bow you may need to fold some additional cardboard into a triangular shape to overlap the meeting ends of the boxes. Tape the open end shut so you have one continuous box.
The trick to keeping the ship cost reasonable is the triangular shape. If it were a rectangular shape the cost rises quickly, but the irregular triangular shape keeps the cost down. Ship cost this way to just about anywhere in the country is $25 to $30 with USPS. I have received bows this way, and they arrived in good condition.
Go to the USPS shipping calculator and you will see what I mean.

Tags
bow, boxes