Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 09-14-2020, 12:34 PM

Default 32 inch draw arrows

Anyone here with a 32” draw that could help me find some arrows for my son? Or have any tips or tricks when you draw that long? I know that a 3Rivers Traditional only comes in 33in but only in 300 spine. The bow is [email protected]”. I live in Wisconsin and he is in Arkansas so I can’t coach him. Thanks, Carl
Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2020, 12:40 PM

Default Re: 32 inch draw arrows

I thought that maybe he could anchor with his thumb at the corner of his mouth keeping the string in front of his face. He will only be shooting close at game. Mostly pigs.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM

Check out black eagle vintage pretty sure uncut they are 34.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2020, 12:51 PM

https://www.blackeaglearrows.com/arr...hart-a/254.htm
Old 09-14-2020, 12:55 PM

Black eagle arrows makes 34" shafts in their "trad" line both in 5/16 and micro diameter shaft and pretty sure the go down to .600 spine.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:04 PM

Ya Black Eagle makes long arrows.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:52 PM

Thanks. I’ll let you know how it works. I live in Kenosha. The rioters came back. I’m watching live stream right now. No fires yet
Old 09-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Outdoor Target Bow: Bernardini Luxor with Border HEX6 limbs

I have a 32 inch draw. I shoot Black Eagle XImpact which are 32 inches. The traditionals are even longer. For a lower cost arrows I have shot Gold Tip Exhibition Hunters which are longer than 32 for the 5575.

Keep in mind that draw length is measured from the back of the bow. As such, you can actually shoot a shorter shaft than your draw length. 1 3/4 inches is added to the distance from the deepest part of the grip to get standard AMO draw length. The shortest shaft that I can get away with is 30.5 inches. Once I add a nock to it I am pulling the metal of the point to the rest. That's good if you are using a clicker, but most trad guys, including me, like to shaft extending beyond the bow. Also, this assumes you are not shooting broadheads. I don't shoot broadheads so I don't know how much extra folks like beyond the back of the bow.

Also recognize that with a 32 inch draw your son will be storing a lot of energy and getting about 11% more speed than someone holding the same weight at 28 inches. And he will likely be holding in the 46 to 50 pound range depending on the bow. He will need a stiff arrow. The Goldtip 5575 worked fine for me with a bow that weight. The 300 are probably too stiff though. My target arrows with a fast bow at 32 inches are 430 spine Easton ACE. They worked for my Border HEX6 where I am only holding 40.5 pounds, and my slower PSE Carbon where I am holding about 46.5 pounds.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Hunting Bow: WARF

It's tough finding hunting arrows for a 32"+ draw as you want to get a lot of weight in the arrow and putting a heavy broadhead weakens it severely. He'll be limited on draw weight of his bows due to arrow availability and having to shoot only around 9-10gpp. The available 32" shafts will often end up at 32.5" after adding nock, so if you slightly overdraw bow the broadhead will contact riser and come off string not to mention blade is right above your finger (I definitely would advise the 1" clearance rule for broadheads). If you notice on the 3Rivers website their 33" Traditional Only arrows state may be +/- 1/2". Half an inch is a big deal so I called them and sure enough all they have in stock are 32.5" .300 spine arrows last week. Black Eagle only makes down to a .350 spine in their 34" Vintage. I sent Black Eagle an e-mail a few weeks ago to see if they had any plans to offer a stiffer .300 or .250 34" shaft in the future since the market for those does not exist and they did not even respond. Current aluminum shafts only go to around 32", so your only hope is coming across some new old stock 34" swaged aluminum shafts.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:59 PM
Civil but Disobedient

The issue is that carbon arrows are made from 36 inch carbon fiber prepreg, which is wrapped around a shaft. When cured, the shaft is removed. As a result of removal, you get defects on the ends that have to be trimmed. Stiffer arrows are less likely to have defects since the carbon is thicker and stronger. So what it comes down to is that the higher the quality of the manufacturing process, the longer the shafts that can be made. Alternative, they can sort shafts, which they do anyway to get the different straightness specs. The arrow manufacturer that told me this offered to collect longer shafts for me during their manufacturing process.

By the way, I used to be a research chemist working on the cure and control of graphite epoxy composites. I worked a lot with carbon fiber prepregs.

Last edited by Hank D Thoreau; 09-17-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:08 AM

Easton offers 34" shafts in X7 target shafting, but, they are 23/64" and larger od. I found a website that offers 36" shafting, not sure if I posted it here before or not. Down side (for me anyway) is it's not in English, and I'm not sure what currency they are priced in. Euro, maybe? The lengths are given in metric and imperial, though.

nijora.de

Steve
Old 09-18-2020, 08:28 AM

Outdoor Target Bow: Spring Creek Park, Tomball TX

If you are willing to use a brand that only seems available overseas, buy online and ship, the Skylon brand has many hunting arrows in 33".

For target use, we use Skylon Radius for my wife and daughter, Brixxon for myself at 32". I can put together a dozen Brixxon 4.2mm arrows for about $75-85. I have never seen a bad review of them, and they have been very good arrows for me. This Christmas I am "gifting myself" some new arrows and plan to stick to Skylons, just move to a slightly more expensive 3.2mm "Paragon" model as I always shoot outdoors and only targets. Just gotta try super skinny arrows!

I also plan to build a simple spine tester so I will be able to report out vs. their consistency to the community with metrics vs. "shoot heap good."
Old 09-18-2020, 08:30 AM

I'm curious, are there any wooden arrow shafts out there for us long draw guys? I'd like a 32" arrow but searching around it seem like after being cut and tapered for points, 31-1/4" is max.

I'm new to wooden arrows, currently don't have any but am expecting to have a longbow soon and would like to try some.

-Mike
Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM
Civil but Disobedient

I get my wood arrows from Wapiti because they can make a 31 inch shaft. I called a lot of vendors and they were the one that could meet my needs. Add a point and nock and I have plenty of overhang with my 32 inch draw length. My original arrows were made by Raptor and were footed to add length to get them to 33 inches. The problem is that they cost twice as much. The limitation is equipment used to make the shafts. I have discussed this with some shaft makers. It seems that you may be able to get longer hardwood shafts. Forrester tells me that they can make them, but they are heavier than Port Orford cedar, and I cannot afford any more weight for my purpose.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info Hank!

Was looking at 3rivers and might pick up some of their Hunter wooden arrows to see if I like them but will take a look at Wapiti too.

Tags
arrows, draw, inch