Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 10-16-2020, 08:07 PM

Default Hyperextended elbow question

In looking at several pictures of top target archers shooting, many have a bow arm that has what appears to me to be a hyperextended elbow. I don't have that myself, but I assume this locks the arm. Does that offer the advantage of eliminating a creeping or collapsing bow arm?
Remove Ads
Old 10-17-2020, 01:09 PM
straight arrow

Hunting Bow: Samick Journey
3D Bow: Polaris/Samick
Default Re: Hyperextended elbow question

I'm certainly far from a form expert, but the idea is to 'set' your bow side humerus into the shoulder socket while your arm is extended and shoulders aligned. At the end of the draw cycle, your bow arm can be somewhat relaxed while holding the bow and 'locked' in a straight line. Some folks - not me - have better joints, and their elbows may appear hyper-extended, but likely the are just a bit more flexible.

There are lots of folks here who can give a better description. I am human, but sadly not an expert in being human.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: 70" Howard Hill longbows, yew or bamboo.
3D Bow: The same.
Outdoor Target Bow: Also vintage target recurves.
Indoor Target Bow: The same.

Nobody is answering so I will give it a whirl.

We should be fully extended; what that is varies by individual. For some full extension leaves the elbow bent a good deal, Howard Hill (he is still the king), famously had a lot of bend. Many of us are straight with full extension. Some hyperextend; these latter are often slender willowy types and it can be a painful problem with string slap. I had a burly pupil about 6'4" and 230 pounds and she naturally hyperextended. Just kidding, it was a guy. A burly boy and he hyperextended until I coached him out of it

It is important that those who hyperextend to learn to turn the elbow joint vertical. A way to do that is to lean the hand against a post and turn the elbow down. - lbg

Last edited by longbowguy; 10-20-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:06 PM

Yeah, it didn't get much traction here. I posted the same question on AT. I got several comments, but none answered the question. Maybe too theoretical.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting Bow: PSE Jackal w/ Hoyt CarbonPlus
3D Bow: CD WF25X Lite w/ Hoyt Carbon X-Tours

IMO, a locked/straight bow arm helps prevent collapsing, but certainly doesn’t eliminate it. Most collapses come from the shoulder and not the elbow I think. Even with a straight bow arm your shoulder can compress back into your neck/trapezoid. The only way to prevent collapsing and creeping is to have the right balance of pushing the bow forward and pulling the string back.

Tags
elbow, hyperextended, question