Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Default An introduction and a question

Greetings to all...

I am actively considering getting back into shooting after 30 years since I last touched a bow. Call it a mid-life crisis, an epiphany, or just a wild-assed idea. I have a desire to take up hunting and I'm not too interested in compounds... just a traditionalist or purist, I guess.

But before I take the plunge, I need a question answered.

About 15 years ago, I fell and shattered my left elbow. As a result, I can't extend my arm fully or rotate it either completely up or down (pronate or supinate for the medically informed ). I have lost about 25-30% of my range of motion for all three movements.

Will this injury, especially my inability to straighten out the left arm (I'm right handed) hurt my ability to shoot? I know already it will affect my draw weight, I just don't know how much yet.

I guess my ability of lack thereof to properly draw, aim and hold a draw will impact my decision to continue and , I guess, my level of participation here. I thought this would be a good place to come for advice since I'm not very close to a pro shop to seek advice in person.

Any insight will be appreciated.

NoSweat88
Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Default Re: An introduction and a question

While I can't evaluate your medical situation. there is some good news, compared to the bows you last used you will find that there have been tremendous improvements in traditional bow technology. to put it most bluntly you simply will not need to be able to draw as much bow as you used to to hunt humanely. Particularly if you will be hunting florida game (excepting gators I assume).

Where in the past most hunters felt that 50 or 65 or more pounds were needed, now with modern limbs and strings, thinner lighter stronger carbon arrows, modern broadhead designs etc etc mean you should be abel to hunt very well in FL with 45 pounds more or less.

You do not mention whether your limitation affects your ability to raise and hold up a bow--you referred more to the draw and hold part of it---if I understood you correctly. While many of the modern design metal risered recurve bows that site members are fond of are fairly heavy a study of various bowyers offerings may show some more compact and lighter ILF versions. (My little 13 " Morrison aluminum ILF makes a tidy light little package) It Is also possible to find some rather light weight longbows that use carbon Etc to pack a lot of energy into light mass weight 40-45 pound draw weight bows.

Where do you live in FL? we have a number of members there. you might be able to get together with a couple and see some of the stuff I'm talking about. I also think that if you can find a physical therapy person who has some sports background, specifically in archery they might be able to advise you and give you some practical guidelines.

Good luck, perhaps some of the others may be able to give you more concrete advise

"In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a SHAME, two is a LAW FIRM and three or more is a CONGRESS." ~ John Adams
Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Welcome to the forum,
If I were you I think I would try to find a bow that I could try just to see if you can shoot one before you buy one, if you can find a archery club or pro shop tell them your problem and I'm sure they will be glad to help good luck

Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Pete

Welcome NoSweat88, I have med probs as do a number of us, but I am shooting better than ever thanks to technology and the endless help from this forum. Good luck !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM
gone to the Dark Side

welcome to TT NoSweat88. I'm a newb, so can't offer much more than that

Pete
Joshua 24:15 - ..."but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TwoTracks Ambush 49#@28"
Member Christian Bowhunters of America
Old 04-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Welcome this is a good place to start.Theres alot of experience and knowledge hangin around here.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Nosweat:

Welcome to the forum. The forum consists of a great bunch of trad enthusiasts, all of whom are willing to help.

I think that you may be able to shoot a traditional bow, but I would suggest that you acquire a light draw weight bow and develop your form and muscles over time. I have a separated left shoulder from a motorcycle accident and draw a 48# bow comfortably. You may also consider consulting with a physical therapist or archery coach.

PMS
Old 04-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the other DWS View Post
You do not mention whether your limitation affects your ability to raise and hold up a bow--you referred more to the draw and hold part of it---if I understood you correctly. Good luck, perhaps some of the others may be able to give you more concrete advise
Thanks for the reply..TO ALL.

I'm pretty sure I can raise and hold up a bow ok...my major concern is whether the "geometry" of the bow arm...ie, always bent at the elbow to a degree (actually about 15 degrees from straight)...will affect aim or accuracy. I'm almost positive my draw weight will be significantly less than I could handle before. Not for for pullback part of the draw, but being able to keep pressure on the bow itself for any extended period. Normally, I would have been able to "lock out" the left elbow and hold for a normal period of time. I'm just not sure how long I could hold it now.

NS88
Old 04-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Welcome Nosweat, I can't add much to the good advice already given.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Hunting Bow: DAS Master Hunter
3D Bow: DAS Master Hunter
Outdoor Target Bow: Best Moon

Welcome to the forum.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive. Red Skelton

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for they know that you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Never underestimate the complexity of a skill that appears to be the epitome of simplicity when performed by an expert! Wayne C. McKinney
Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Sitting Bull

Welcome to the forum. I suspect the biggest effect your elbow will have will be shortening your draw length. You'll need to take that into account when you do buy a bow.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Hunting Bow: 46# and 57# CH

Welcome - like somebody said early - get out with some ppl and just shoot something light to get into it and see how it goes...the only way to find out and get someone who can teach you right - right off the bat...

you will have fun no matter what if you have a good attitude towards it...Jer

Tags
introduction, question