Trad Talk Forums banner

common ammo shortages?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  pondscum2 
#1 ·
is anyone else on here having problems getting common calibers? like .38/.357 and 9 mm? even .45 auto getting scarce/expensive. i suspect folks are hoarding with the election coming up. 5 of 6 internet sources i checked had ZERO .38/.357. none/nada/zilch. finally did succeed in getting 200 rounds .38 from a place in SC. only local store that has ANY on the shelf wanted $39 a box (50 rounds) for what i paid $21 a box for, and that was the Blazer non-reloadable aluminum case stuff. thieves...

#3 ·
checked 11 more ammo sales sites on net last night. only one had any .38 spl +P hollowpoints available, and that at a premium, woo! found an auction site where folks were taking bids on bulk stuff, mostly 200 or 250 round boxes...at prices WAY elevated. is there a civil war about to break out that i was not notified about? inquiring minds want to know...going shopping for reloading dies next. if this @#$% keeps up, i'll crank out my own cast bullet stuff...

#5 ·
Not only is ammo, particularly 9mm/.38/.380/.45/.223, in short supply in the Chicago metro area, guns are flying off the shelf as well. There is a record number of new gun buyers who are also trying to buy ammo for their new toys. Classic economic theory of finite supply and rising demand, resulting in shortages and price gouging.

I was in my local BassPro last week and noted that while there was a lack of the previously listed ammo, there seemed to be a relatively good supply of what we would consider to be larger hunting calibers. This could be partially due to the fact that Illinois permits centerfire rifles only for varmint hunting. I'd be interested to hear how others are seeing ammo supplies in their local areas.

#6 ·
pistols demand around here (is it true everywhere?) seems centered on semi automatics. thus my confusion RE difficulty getting .38 spl ammo. on the other hand, i found some at Palmetto for sale, and ordered 4 boxes (200 rounds). i THOUGHT i had ordered the aluminum non-reloadable stuff. ??? i waited 8 days, no update. it showed as "order accepted" but not shipped, even today. pizza delivery guy came this evening, paid him, looked down...WTF? my ammo was on the porch. still no update according to their website. AND...it was reloadable brass case ammunition. i love it when fate intercedes on my behalf...:highfive:

#7 ·
My understanding from a friend who works at BassPro is that they do get pistol ammo in on a regular basis but it gets bought up almost immediately. Also, that those buyers who are lucky enough to be there when the ammo hits the shelves are generally buying more than just a box or two. That tells me that there is not enough ammo in the supply chain to catch up with shooter demand, partially due to the current tendency of some shooters to purchase all they can buy whenever it becomes available to them.

It certainly seems like this would be an excellent time to be in the pistol ammo manufacturing business.

#8 ·
My understanding from a friend who works at BassPro is that they do get pistol ammo in on a regular basis but it gets bought up almost immediately. Also, that those buyers who are lucky enough to be there when the ammo hits the shelves are generally buying more than just a box or two. That tells me that there is not enough ammo in the supply chain to catch up with shooter demand, partially due to the current tendency of some shooters to purchase all they can buy whenever it becomes available to them.

It certainly seems like this would be an excellent time to be in the pistol ammo manufacturing business.
local BassPro limits buyers to one box. but...if your wife/buddy was with you, there go TWO boxes, lol. or THREE...i was standing there last time they were supposed to have some .38 spl on the truck. not. one. box.:brickwall:

#9 ·
Was reading an article recently suggesting using 'lesser known' cartridges, and the 'comments' section was hilarious. Even if you can find brass, reloading components are rare as hens' teeth.

I freely admit, I'll buy components I don't 'need' right away, because I'm not sure if/when I'll see them on the shelf again. And, yeah, too many other people thinking the same way.

#10 ·
looked into reloading for my .38s/.357. nope. no dies in stock, no primers. i DID find a place (Lucky Gunner) with 23 boxes of Black Hills Honey Badger ammo for my new carry piece. only bought i box though, as a C-note for 50 rounds makes me queasy. hopefully, this box will last me for the rest of my life in concealed carry situations. i'm going to shoot maybe 20 rounds to see where gun prints, then only shoot reg stuff for practice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.