Suggestions for a gap [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: Suggestions for a gap

Ranger B
05-04-2011, 06:29 AM
I am having a heck of a time with 65 yds (60 meters). I have established a string crawl and gap for everything else that works pretty well but at 65 I am struggling. If I use my 3-under tab the target is below my arrow rest but above my shelf. I've tried to use my shelf but the left to right is very inprecise when doing that. If I use my split finger tab then I'm in the dirt well below the target. Any suggestions? I'm hoping that there is a technique that I'm just overlooking. Right now I'm putting the rest/arrow over the target and trying to split the difference between rest and shelf.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Str8 Shooter
05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
I see two other options for you. First, you could use a point of aim technique. For example figure out how far above the bullseye you have to hold using either your tip or rest to hit the center and use that imaginary aim point. For example, you may have to hold the wire on the rest on the 3 ring or 1 foot above with a 12 o'clock hold to hit the bullseye. Break it down into an exact amount that allows you to get it as close to the target as possible.

The other option, as you're shooting barebow which allows string and facewalking, would be to stay with three under but drop your anchor point down a finger and figure out a crawl to get you on the paper. Not sure of your anchor but if you use the middle finger in the corner of the mouth you could switch to index finger in the same position. That should extend your point on 10-20 yards (variable). If that puts your tip below the paper than all you have to do is figure out a crawl for the new anchor at that distance to get you on paper and you should be good to go (so long as you remember to use it).

Ranger B
05-06-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks Str8 Shooter. I played with it a lot yesterday and finally found that I can use where the arrow and the shelf meet and then crawl down a stitch and that seems to work. I sincerely appreciate your suggestion as it led me to where I found the answer.

Greysides
05-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Sounds like you're sorted.

I would have suggested an under the chin/olympic anchor combined with a crawl.

Ranger B
05-07-2011, 03:18 PM
LOL I tried that and it cost me a ACE. OUCH. I didn't crawl enough and launched it.

Greysides
05-09-2011, 02:55 PM
LOL I tried that and it cost me a ACE. OUCH. I didn't crawl enough and launched it.

"Ground Control to Ranger B.............."