So what is a "good" NFAA field round score [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: So what is a "good" NFAA field round score

Scooter
07-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I shot my first round today and shot a 424. No clue how good or bad that score is. Overall I was happy with the score but I guess you always wonder how you stack up.

tgross144
07-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Personally, I always try to to shoot at least an average of 16 points per target. That would make a 448. However, very rarely do I even come close. I think that is a fine score.

You can go to your state NFAA site and look up old records. Here in Florida the record for barebow field is 488 and that was shot in 1993.

Keep up the good work.

Tim

Glynn Sluder
08-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Scooter, what type of set-up are you shooting? Sights? No sights, stabilizer? I guess what I'm asking is what class.

I shoot Traditional class and usually average 200 in League. That is just 14 butts or half a round. Field and Hunter. Took me four years to get there though. I did shoot a 224 in practice this spring, everything was clicking that day.

Whatever you are shooting, to get started in the 420's is very impressive! Keep up the good work.

Glynn

Scooter
08-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks Glynn. I was shooting barebow. No sights or stabs. I was stringwalking. I finished the weekend with a 440 hunter round.

steve morley
09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
My first outing with Recurve in Bowhunter class and scored 390 on the Field round, I still need some more tuning and work out some better Gaps, I managed to work out some Gaps the day before but weather was horrible, wet and windy so it was kinda work in progress and 60+ yards was pure guesswork on the day.

I'm pleased with the result as straight into 'A' class, my goal was to hit 'A' class score of 375.

The only two problems I have is hitting my nose with 3 under, it was so sore (even with plaster) on last 6-7 targets it became a pain flinch on release, I hope I can sort that out before next shoot. the other one was when drawing up near my point-on 55-60y I found myself just to the right of the spot and unable to adjust, seemed to deal with it by not drawing up so close to point-on but instead bottom of face then making gap adjustment to spot, I'll have to work on that to find whats best. Shooting Bow dead vertical and with finger sling is new feeling after Longbow so that will require some Bale work to adjust as one of the other shooters said I was grabbing the Bow on some shots.

Setup is W&W Pro-accent riser 48# Winex limbs, Spig flipper rest, Bateman Tab, Carbon Express 150's with 125g points (368g) and 1.75 Quickspins

I had a great time, learning new class is fun and big learning curve

tgross144
09-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Steve, are you gearing up for IFAA? For Bowhunter Recurve are you allowed a short stab? I thought that for IFAA bowhunter you had to shoot split fingered.
Anyway, good luck with the change in style.

Tim

steve morley
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Steve, are you gearing up for IFAA? For Bowhunter Recurve are you allowed a short stab? I thought that for IFAA bowhunter you had to shoot split fingered.
Anyway, good luck with the change in style.

Tim

http://www.ifaa-archery.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=117
IFAA Bowhunter rules

Fita 3D Instintive Reurve you an only use Split but ok to use 3 under in IFAA. confusing as I'm shooting Tradtec Pinnale with Winex limbs split finger for Fita 3D and the Pro-accent 3 fingers under for IFAA. The Pinnacle is better for Split finger as easier to set a sight picture with short riser window, the Pro-accent is 100% gap off the arrow.

Yes I use shot Stab in IFAA.

barebowguy
10-08-2010, 06:29 AM
I shoot a lot of NFAA field rounds (they are my favorite) and average somewhere in the 470's the last couple of months I have shot a few rounds in the 480's and a 486 at the NFAA nationals this year.

Scooter
10-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Good to see you on here Alan and great shooting!

barebowguy
10-08-2010, 08:48 PM
thanks Scott
I can't wait to try out the Luxor, I have it all set ready to go but want to wait until after this weekend because I have our club and regional field chanpionship and dont want confuse myself with the indoor setup.

Scooter
10-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Probably a good call. Good luck this weekend.

barebowguy
10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
We shot our club championship and regional championship today. we shot 14 field 14 hunter and 14 animal I shot 239,238,270 I was pretty happy with the field and hunter rounds but the animal round made my day!

Scooter
10-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Good shooting. Perhaps I'll see you at the nationals next year. As the first post mentions I shot my first field event this year. I am now the target coordinator at my club so I hope to set up a 12 week 14 target field league come spring/summer. I believe the sectionals are in Michigan this year as well, so hopefully more field for me in 2011.

Ranger B
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I shot my first round this weekend. Shot a 428. It's a starting point. I am shooting this Sat. again so I'm hoping to do a bit better. Shot a 227 half in practice today.

Scooter
05-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Nice

Ranger B
05-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Shot a 456 last Friday and then a 453 on Sat. I was thrilled to get the scores closer to being competitive but I still dropped two arrows. I have yet to shoot a round in which all 112 arrows scored. I push to target and twice on Sat. I pushed just a bit much and launched two arrows in that round 12 o-clock just off paper. Got a FITA 900 round coming the 21st.

barebowguy
06-12-2011, 08:43 PM
We shot our state field championship here in California today. 14 field 14 hunter 14 animal. I shot 236 field 223 hunter and 263 animal. My group shot the hunter round last and I ran out of gas. They held it in multipal sights across the state so we will have to wait for the results.

Greysides
06-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Other than distances and target faces are there any other differences between the hunter and field rounds?

barebowguy
06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Other than distances and target faces are there any other differences between the hunter and field rounds?

no that is the only difference between the two rounds. on the hunter round you have a lot of odd yardage shots ie 32,48,64 etc.

Scooter
06-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Good shooting Alan. Glad you got some time to fling a few. I shot a 14 target hunter round last night that was a 216. I started out good but faded a bit toward the end.

Scooter
07-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Shot our state field and hunter again this year. Finished 41 points higher than last year. Shot a nice (for me) 453 field yesterday, but petered a bit today due to not shooting much the last few weeks and the heat and only had 452 on the hunter.

Still won my class of one (sigh). Really need to figure a way to get more people out shooting field. It really lack from youth participation. Probably more senior than adults and youth combined. :(

barebowguy
07-19-2011, 07:20 PM
That's great shooting Scott our state only shoots 14 field and 14 hunter 14 animal.I shot a 459 combined field hunter.
One of these days we are going to get to shoot together, I can't wait for some great competition. Maybe next year at the nationals in mechanicsburg?

Scooter
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah that would be cool. I really need to shoot some more full field events. The long walkups are still a struggle for me and both days at the switch points I had a "missed" target due to shooting the wrong face.

I've not shot the animal round yet but our club is seriously considering doing an animal round or league next year to try and drum up some interest from the hunter crowd. To a man they all complained about the long distance (i.e. no pin for 80) and the fact that I don't have a pin for any of the distances did little to console them. :)

I'm hoping a 60 yard max on animal targets might draw some interest.

Glynn Sluder
09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
I shot our states championship this summer. Kind of a hollow victory, since there were only two of us in the Trad class. It was Fathers Day weekend and a few had already made plans for other activities.

I actually didn't post here because I was pretty unhappy with how the state altered the way we shoot the tournament and just wanted to have a rant. I will talk to the officers I know here and send some kind of note to the association before next year.

We shot a full Hunter round and then half a Field round followed by a Modified Field round.

I shot a 422 Hunter and then 204 for the half Field round.

Kansas decided the year before that the Trad class could also elect to shoot the blue stakes (Youth) out to 50 yd. max hoping it would generate some interest.

I shot the adult stakes.

barebowguy
09-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Good for you Glenn, I always shoot the adult stakes. I do not understand why some people think you can't shoot over 50 yards with trad equipment. The people that designed our field ranges only had trad equipment!

elkslayer4x5
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Shot our state field and hunter again this year. Finished 41 points higher than last year. Shot a nice (for me) 453 field yesterday, but petered a bit today due to not shooting much the last few weeks and the heat and only had 452 on the hunter.

Still won my class of one (sigh). Really need to figure a way to get more people out shooting field. It really lack from youth participation. Probably more senior than adults and youth combined. :(

Hard for them to imagine that long bow and recurves can shoot that far, since they where as raised on internet archery, where you can't possibally make that shot with 'that old gear'. I get so sick and tired of being told I can't do what I've been doing since the mid 60's. And bye the way, pretty fair shootin! :)