Pop Quiz: Distance ? 60 cm or 80cm face? [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: Pop Quiz: Distance ? 60 cm or 80cm face?

Greysides
05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8334/p1030136.jpg

What face is this?

It's an unmarked target, what distance is it?

(I'll give an approximate answer later for the distance, I know the face size.)

The point is- this one caught me out. :( As did another one on a previous shoot.

Apart from the tips on the FITA Guidelines booklet, how do you tell the target sizes? It's a necessary prelude to gauging the distance and a prerequisite of some 'cheat systems'.

buejeger
05-15-2010, 09:04 AM
The problem here is that a photograph cannot properly purvey the distance and size relationship between near and far objects especially when said object is of unknown size...

That said, I am guessing that it was a 60cm and it was closer than you thought..... but I agian quote my cop-out above :)

Greysides
05-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Correct with the 60cm. I took it as 80cm and shot it for 35m. The arrow skimmed the top of the target (lovely line though!https://www.tradtalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif). It flew up hill and up to the lane along the top of the slope. I nearly believed the retriever when he said it had hit a rabbit, ducked out sight, issued a squeel and then proceded to clean the blood off the arrow with his mouth.
Anyhow, not wishing to repeat the mistake I tried 25m and hit the bottom of the butt. A 30m shot got me a scoring arrow. I was so chuffed I then tried shooting a fourth arrow to get it right but luckily was restrained by my companions............................

If you can't see people at the target, is there any way to gauge the target size?

buejeger
05-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Gauging target size comes with practice... Its not easy, I have shot unmarked for years, back in the UK I only ever shot unmarked, onlt time I shot marked was for sighting in.. (shot compound with 5 pin sight)
Everyone has their "system" I use several... the size of the face relative to your sight picture/riser can often give you a clue.. remembering the max-min distances for the different faces too, using the "halfway to the target estimation" then doubling it, 10 meter intervals, etc etc.... people standing by the butt can help, but what if they are very tall, or short?
Learning a variety of systems and constant practice is the only way to "master" unmarked,.... and even then you will be fooled from time to time...
Just going for a walk can be training..... especially in the woods.... pick an object, estimate range and then pace it out.... I take my laser rangefinder with me on walks... great training!