IFAA legal Longbow [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: IFAA legal Longbow

kal_mike
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I was wondering what IFAA legal longbows are out there? I am interested in getting into this division and our ABA rules in Australia are the same as IFAA. There are lots of bows that I look at and I can't tell if they would be within the rules. Living in the Australian outback means I'm not going to be able to try before I buy so any suggestions (and pics) would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

steve morley
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Mike I've been involved in Longbow\Primitive bow inspection at a number of World\European IFAA events.

Any of the Hill style Longbows are legal, not as fast as the more modern R/D Longbows but in Field speed isn't so critical as shooting lanes are clear. American R/D bows like Fox Tripple crown, 21st Century Edge (good value for money) and my personal choice Blackbrook Zeta from UK. Some good German made bows like Reiner Klines they shoot a lof of IFAA tourneys in Germany and advertise bows as IFAA legal making life a little easier when deciding what to buy.

If you find something you like ask the Bowyer if it's IFAA legal or post a picture and I'll take a look for you but it's not easy just from pics so asking the Bowyer before buying is safest way.

You can shoot a R/D Longbow as long as it's 'D' shape when strung. If you get a custom made Longbow try and get it with no visible wood grain marks on the inside of the riser (at least make them vertical and not horizontal) or you will have to cover it up with tape, something I hate having to do to a beautiful bow.

good luck

kal_mike
11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for your help Steve. Postage for the US can be quite expensive for one piece long bows so I am investigating local options.