Shooting [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: Shooting

Glynn Sluder
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Field league is going well so far. Rain kept me from the shoot I was looking forward to, but that is how this Spring is shaking out in the South Midwest.

I got the MBB 3 DVD awhile back and really enjoyed it. Have passed it around to a couple of shooting buddies (sorry Denny) and everyone has gotten something out of it. Rod and Larry really put the shot in laymans terms and images for us. A Trad guy's KSL type video.:)

It seemed alot of little things were coming together and my league scores went way up for the first two weeks. Third week I dropped back some after shooting a 2 day trad rhondy with my hunting bow. Guess I overdid it with a different and heavier bow, not sure.

Shot 3 practice rounds this week trying to get back where I was. First 2 I was climbing steadily and happy the way it was going. Then, Sat. I went with a friend to shoot some rifles, something I do a whole lot less of these days. M14 match and a couple other .308's, an Armalite and a DPMS.

Didn't take too long to get back in the groove. It started dawning on me how similar the sight picture and shot was to my archery sequence. The M14 front post was almost like an arrow pile. Start the squeeze and watch it move back and forth across the POA. Just like expanding while aiming, aiming, aiming, and then POW! the release/shot just happens. Even more noticeable on the Armilite with it's big NF scope at 10X, every heartbeat showing on the bull.

Anyway, Sunday I went to the archery range wondering if I would be too tired for a good round. Not so, it just seemed as if I switched the trigger squeeze to my back muscles. Shot 4 warm up arrows at 50 and then did the course. I was really on and only missed one arrow total, it was on the Bunny shot. It was the first one and I finished it with 3 5's for a 15 anyway.

Shot my best score ever. Of course I was all alone, but don't care, I was one pumped up guy walking out of there.

Maybe it was all the practice and MBB's great tips, or the wake up call to the back of my brain from the rifle shooting. A grand day on the 14 butts for sure. Anybody have any similar experiences with other shooting exercises boosting their archery?

Glynn Sluder
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Well, guess not.:) Anyway, the more I go to the bale with Rod and Larry's tips, instead of just a session of one mindless shot after another, the more confident yet relaxed my sequence gets.

I knew that perfect practice is what makes perfect, I just needed to see and hear what steps that consisted of. Got some of it from Kisiks site, but the MBB 3 really made it personable and flexible too. I wish I could emulate Rod's machine-like form, but do feel like mine is becoming alot more repeatable and suits the way I've been shooting.

Biggest epiphany this week is the feel of my elbow going the right direction instead of just "back" as I go to conclusion.

Viper used to say he thought about where the conclusion was going to end up and Rod and Larry both had definite anchor-like points where they finished. I try to imagine that Formaster being on and me not wanting to get yanked, but don't have an exact spot where I wind up every time, just pulls back when the string is gone.

Gotta go, more musing later.

SteveGabriel
05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Well, guess not.:)
Biggest epiphany this week is the feel of my elbow going the right direction instead of just "back" as I go to conclusion.

I try to imagine that Formaster being on and me not wanting to get yanked, but don't have an exact spot where I wind up every time, just pulls back when the string is gone.

I shot my 2nd field tournament yesterday. Not impressive, but I did better my 2nd time around because I did the same thing Glynn was talking about - imagining I had the formaster on and not wanting to get yanked. I missed a few on the vertical - I'm still getting my string walking marks down and the focus on follow thru caused me to draw slightly longer.
Still I got 12 points more on the 2nd 14 targets that on the first when everyone else was dropping points. Very satisfying.

I'll be working with the formaster regularly as I have another 28 target field coming up in 2 weeks.

Field Archery is fun!
Steve