Trad Talk Forums banner

grinding a proline riser

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob Gordon 
#1 ·
I have a proline riser and wish to grind the side flanges off of the limb pockets to give the bow a cleaner look. Does anyone know if the riser is solid or hollow at the limb pockets?
Thanks for any info

3feathers

Rich

#2 ·
I have not taken the 'ears' off a Proline, but have done it to a Martin prowler riser. I have a Proline or two on the shelf waiting to be Warfed. Judging from the thickness of the Proline ears, I would quess they are solid. The casting technique used back then was basic. To make hollow ears would be more trouble than needed. The Proline without the 'ears' would be a perfect candidate for Quinn limbs, as the 150 degree pitch closely matches the Quinn design and the pad is long enough for a simple (but accurate) pin system (a la Quinn). Maybe I will do that conversion myself soon. Good luck.

#3 ·
Been there and done that on the the Proline. I have milled the ears off, and ground them off with a course belt sander. I have done three with ILF limbs pinned with the 3/8's cable guard rod cut off and JB'ED in the 3/8's hole I drilled. If you grind them off, Make sure you clean the powder up with a wisk broom very well or you will have fire you cannot put out when you strike the sander with steel. If you do the pins, make sure you string it up and align the limbs before it dries. Some of the Prolines are crooked and may not align to center markers. You have to bush up the Limbs for tiller after you are done. If I had it to do over? I would just have them Warfed.

#4 ·
Lastmanout and Sam

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to use unfinished Border limbs that Sid was selling a while back. I can cut the limb shape after the limbs are mounted so that should eliminate any alignment issues. I have already put one set of x10's on a proline as the limb pocket angle is just about perfect for them. They are bolted fast rather ILF style. Just wanted to make cleaner lines on the next one. The second limbs are x30's.
The first one is super smooth. Now I know why Sid's bows are so highly prized. I will buy one of his longbows sooner or later.

The warning about cleanup of the filings is a good one. I managed to start a small fire in my belt sander a while back when grinding a metal riser. Pretty much had to burn itself out.

Thanks again

Rich

#5 ·
The Proline has solid pockets so you can grind, shape to your heart's content. You also can relocate the limb bolt holes farther back and get a shorter riser. Be careful with the sanding/grinding dust. Mix it a little with steel dust and you have a basement equilivant of thermite and it lights off with just one little spark from a sanding belt. I have about burnt the house down twice with that stuff, tough on work benches, wife is still pretty pi--ed about that!...lol..warf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.