Marking Distances [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: Marking Distances

No-sage
02-06-2009, 07:39 AM
I've recently become responsible for our club's, Rakowana Archers, Field range.

When I first joined the club, I couldn't even find the 1st target. The course was so overgrown that it couldn't be shot. Several targets has to be rebuilt and bees had taken residence in 3 of them.

I have the course very shootable now, but I'm having trouble figuring how to mark the distances. Right now we use signs listing the distances and stakes made from rebar. These are OK, but they're a pain the mow around and they're too easily moved. I'd like something more permanent, yet easy to maintain, since I'll be doing the lions share of the maintenance.

How are your ranges marked?

Glynn Sluder
02-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Depending on how rocky it is, you can use landscape blocks. The cement ones sometimes used for steps and such.

In our sandy soil these can be buried to be flat so you can mow right over them. Paint to mark Field, Hunter or Youth as well as the distance stenciled in the middle..

If you or another member have access to a welder, you can also make plates with double spikes on them that are driven into the ground. Paint like the above.

DRT
02-07-2009, 03:33 AM
Keith did a great job fixing up the old field course. I cant wait to try it again. Well worth the 100 mile drive .
Why not use a router to mark the distances on a square cedar board . Screw that to the top of a stake like this T . Drive it flush into the ground . Then you shouldn't even have to get off the riding mower unless you need to rid your bladder from that nasty Genesee you keep in the cooler mounted on the mower deck.

No-sage
02-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Good ideas, thanks.

I've got to get the marks out there before the stakes get moved and I have the remeasure the whole course again. We have painted bricks set in the ground for our FITA range and practice but. We talked about going that route before.

Darren, I'll let you know when we'll have our trad group out for another shoot, should be in the spring.

Desert Archer
03-02-2009, 06:16 AM
The range I shoot on is part of the county park system, however it was built by a local field archery club back in the early 1970s. They used round pillars of concrete set in the ground as distance markers. The part you see is a 6" circle painted white for the field round, red for the hunter round, yellow for the animal round, blue for youth and green for cubs. The distance in yards is stenciled on in black. LOL - they don't mow the sand, gravel or rocks so that isn't something they need to worry about.

Dave

No-sage
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I got the bees out of the last target last week. It looks like we need a lot of markers so I think I'll start with the Field round and youth. Our course if set up for NFAA field.

It looks like bricks because I found a good stash in the clubhouse.

tgross144
03-08-2009, 08:39 PM
we have used concrete cylinders. They come from concrete core samples that the ready-mix people have to test. You might be able to get some for free or at least cheap.

Tim

Desert Archer
03-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Tim, I'll bet that is what I was describing, just didn't know there was a name or source for them.

Dave