Sorry but I'm Skeptical! [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: Sorry but I'm Skeptical!

Desert Archer
11-12-2008, 07:02 PM
TV is a wastland and I've visited all the usual archery sites so I went over to the Leatherwall where I don't post anymore but look in occasionally. There was a thread about how good are you. One post claimed a 470 average on the NFAA field course. 470 average? I know how hard it is to break 400 shooting a barebow recurve (face walking). I just can't believe anyone can shoot Traditional class (one anchor point, no sights or stabilizers) and score that kind of average. Yea, I know anyone can say anything on the internet but good heavens, that is just beyond credulity.

Dave

Glynn Sluder
11-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Dave, I have to agree as that is the style I shoot and out of curiosity I did some searching around for the top scores shot at the Nationals. There were some Cali. guys who shot 221-219 like scores a few years back that looked to be who I should go after.

Maybe the 470 scores they were talking about included the animal round. ??

Charlie ran the kitchen at the state shoot that our club held this summer(I couldn't be there) and talked to the man who holds the Trad class record here. He said that my league scores would have beaten them with room to spare. I ran across another states records where that was the case as well(can't remember which).

My league avg. was 192 for 14 and am going to have to work hard to catch those Cali. shooters, but that is a worthy goal. Anybody averaging 470 would be a phenom, it would sure get around.

It is amazing what you can find on this box.

Doesn't gitnbtr shoot Trad class? Maybe not. He would be a good comparison/sounding board for that kind of chatter.

Ranger B
05-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Are you sure they weren't shooting barebow? The only two guys I know of shooting that high in TRAD class are Allan Eagleton and Mark Applegate. Otherwise guys are shooting close to that stringwalking in the barebow class - not many though. 480s will get you on the podium in BB and you are shooting against compound shooters. Ricky Stark is pretty unbeatable right now, shooting 500s.

The highest score shot, not a record, but shot in tournament was Denny Cline's 521 with a compound barebow. Denny also shot a 544 with a recurve in 1973 on the old scoring system. That is simply an amazing score.

steve morley
06-02-2011, 11:05 PM
NFAA change the rules a while back to 50y max for Trad and Longbow, maybe these scores were shot at that time with this max distance.

IFAA fixed anchor revurve is called Recurve Bowhunter which is what I'm shooting, I've only done 3 Field shoots so far and last tourney I made 426 which has been my best so far, my goal is 450 by end of year.

The Bowhunter WR is 460's so claming a 470 average is pretty hard to believe, I dont believe any scores posted on internet unless theyre backed up with dates\location of tourney, practice score dont count in my book.

barebowguy
06-06-2011, 05:52 AM
TV is a wastland and I've visited all the usual archery sites so I went over to the Leatherwall where I don't post anymore but look in occasionally. There was a thread about how good are you. One post claimed a 470 average on the NFAA field course. 470 average? I know how hard it is to break 400 shooting a barebow recurve (face walking). I just can't believe anyone can shoot Traditional class (one anchor point, no sights or stabilizers) and score that kind of average. Yea, I know anyone can say anything on the internet but good heavens, that is just beyond credulity.

Dave

If his is me that you are talking about check out the results from the NFAA nationals the last two years. And no we are not shooting 50yard max.
Alan

Bowbender Mike
06-06-2011, 05:57 AM
If his is me that you are talking about check out the results from the NFAA nationals the last two years. And no we are not shooting 50yard max.
Alan

Desert Archer's post was from 2008.

Ranger B
06-06-2011, 06:43 AM
I wrote "Rickey Welch" above and meant to write "Ricky Stark." Sorry 'bout that. No Allan I don't think he was referring to you. There was a thread on LW a while back and some older guys posted what they allegedly shot back many years ago, but there are no results to prove it. The same guy said he shot 290s indoors with his selfbows and has a reputation for stretching things a bit. Your results are known pretty well among those of us trying to get into the 480s.

Steve NFAA has not changed the rules but some states have. I know Virginia has gone to a 50 yard max for Traditional. That's one of the reasons I shot barebow this year. It's pointless to shoot 50 in state when you have to shoot 80 in all other NFAA shoots. I've cancelled going to Yankton. I am shooting 450s consistently but can't get to the 480s and without shooting that well it is not worth the trip. Maybe after another year's practice. Hopefully....

steve morley
06-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I am shooting 450s consistently but can't get to the 480s and without shooting that well it is not worth the trip. Maybe after another year's practice. Hopefully....

450's would be nice for me, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for your 480's and you for me getting 450's :) :highfive:

I'm not really chasing scores, just to shoot with best possible form, I feel it's coming together nicely and will click into place with little conscious effort from me. :)

barebowguy
06-06-2011, 08:19 PM
woops my bad I did not notice the date on that post.
Jimmy 450's are great you would probably take Yankton, I am not sure I could shoot a 450 right now as I have been lucky to shoot once a week for the last 4 months.