Animal round [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: Animal round

Glynn Sluder
11-10-2008, 07:21 PM
When we got new butts on the range this summer we were supposed to keep the old ones there to put up animal targets on. That didn't happen much to my dismay as I'd like to get an idea of how it is to shoot that round.

I have a small grasp of the rules and can look them up, more than anything just wanted to hear about any tricks, strategy, etc. Do different targets go at certain ranges or can they go on any distance?

I hate to go to my first real shoots without having experienced this part of it. Surely it is an important part of the overall score. What is a decent score on the animal round? Is an animal round always shot at an NFAA shoot?

Desert Archer
11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Glynn,

The Animal Round targets are categorized by groups (size and appropriate distances) of Groups 1, 2, 3 & 4. Group 1 are the largest (bear, deer, elk, grizzly, moose, caribou). Group 2 are some what smaller and so on. Group 1 target are for the longest ranges, Group 4 are for the shortest.

A few of the Animal stakes will be a single position for the 3 possible shots but the majority are walk-ups. Unlike the walk-up targets of the Field or Hunter rounds, where you shoot an arrow from each, on the Animal round you shoot your first (numbered) arrow from the farthest stake. If you score a hit then you don't shoot any more. If you miss scoring at all you shoot the next arrow from the next closest stake. Again, if you score you stop shooting, if you miss you get one more try from the closest stake.

You've probably already looked it up but each target has a "kill zone" and a "wound zone" that corresponds to the body cavity. Ears, horns, tails, etc. don't count. The first arrow is scored 20 for a Kill and 18 for a Wound. The second arrow is scored 16 for a Kill and 14 for a Wound. Last arrow is scored 12 for a Kill and 10 for a Wound. If you miss all three arrows you get Zero. If you shoot 3 arrows and then when you get to the target find your first arrow just touched the out side scoring line, even if the 2nd or 3rd arrow was a kill, they don't count. The first arrow to score is the one for record...and an 18 is better than a 16 or a 12 any time. (LOL)

It is possible to shoot a 14 target Animal Round with 14 shots. Compounders do it almost every time. Barebow isn't that consistant in my experience.(smile)

Hope this helps.

Dave

Glynn Sluder
11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Dave, you always give great answers, nice and thorough. Well, I will pay more attention to the target signs when I do a walkaround.

Basically you just want to make the best shot like a marked 3-D, only with walk-up do-overs! :)

I read on one of the sites that they were putting dots on the targets. Is that nationwide and do they score different, or is it just something to put their pin on? :)

Desert Archer
11-12-2008, 06:27 AM
I read on one of the sites that they were putting dots on the targets. Is that nationwide and do they score different, or is it just something to put their pin on? :)

Glynn,

So many of the compounders max out the Animal Round (14 shots, 280 points) that they added the dots, worth one extra point (21 possible/target). At the shoots I've participated in where the dots are in place you hear the compounders only talking about the number of dots as their score. "I got 11 but Frank beat me with a 12!" or something similar.

Last time I shot an Animal Round I hit two dots by accident (can't even see them on the longer shots - lol). It didn't make up for the 10 I had on another target...but I took the two points anyway. (smile)

Dave

Glynn Sluder
11-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks Dave, hey sorry about your new riser, I was just fixing to start a new thread on bows and riser lengths on here. (since I'm starting alot of them):)

So they made a dot on the target an X count, huh? Do they have a shootoff for tie scores? Don't think I will have much worry in my class, probably be the only one unless my buddy Charlie shoots too. Nationals there may be a couple.

Desert Archer
11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Glynn, the more serious tourneys (state championships or regionals) generally have a 28 Field targets the first morning and 14 Animal targets that afternoon. Then the second day they shoot 28 Hunter targets. They add all the scores and yea, if there's a tie they have a shoot off. I'm not that familiar with the shoot off rules but they're in the NFAA rule book.

Dave