FITA Field [Archive] - TradTalk Forums

: FITA Field

Desert Archer
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
This weekend is our state FITA Field championship. Two days, 24 target each day, 3 arrows per target. First day is unmarked distances, second day is marked (in meters) distances. Lots of up and down shot angles and some interesting (difficult) shooting positions. FITA field is great and should be a bigger draw to the traditional crowd than NFAA field. Less arrows: 72 each day versus NFAA's 112 to 166; shorter distances: max for barebow is 45m on the unmarked day and 50m on the marked day versus 80 yards for NFAA; and bigger targets for a given distance: 20, 40, 60 & 80 cm versus 20, 35, 50 & 65 cm for NFAA.

I'll report back, Saturday & Sunday evenings if I'm up to it and by Monday for sure. Looking forward to this one.

Dave

Glynn Sluder
10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
What you've written here is all I know about FITA field, but it is intriguing. I will have to ask the senior JOAD group at our club if they have these types of shoots. They are kind of separate from us.

Our president is a solid NFAA guy, which is why our course is still set up. All the other clubs in a 50 mile radius have quit long ago. 5 to 10 of our members go to the Nat'ls every year and I should of went since it was as close as it will be for awhile. Like most places, 3-D is the big game now, but we just spent the money for new field targets (14). The 15 week league we had this summer was a pretty good hit too, I think there were 25 or so participants, 4 which were not compounds.

I would like to start competing some in the Midwest just to shoot at other clubs and courses. FITA field might open some more opportunity. Rusty said on another thread that he would like to shoot with me someday, I'd like that too and would add everyone on this board to the list as well.

Desert Archer
10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Glynn,

Every year the Texas Archery Association puts on a FITA Field shoot. I wanted to try and drive over from Arizona this year but I couldn't find out about it in time. If we can bug rusty to find out about it and let us know ahead of time, you could drive down from Kansas and we could shoot some arrows, sweat a bunch of Gatorade, scratch mosquito bites and talk archery in the evenings. How's that sound?

Dave

Glynn Sluder
10-15-2008, 07:27 PM
It sounds great, you guys might even let me touch some of that equipment I won't be able to afford till my daughter (8) is out of college and married. While you talk archery, I will listen and try to learn something. :)

Desert Archer
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Smile - If we're gonna pull this off we better get on rusty soon. He seems to be a busy guy with a lot of irons in the fire.

Dave

bobferrell
10-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Dave, I wish I could be out there for the shoot this weekend!

Maybe I can make it or the one in Washington next year. It'll require some planning and practice to commit to the plane ticket (or to take the vacation days for a cross country drive).

This year I got pounded at work for the first half of the year, so practice time has been rare, plus my 95 year old Dad is about ready to leave us, so I was afraid to plan anything.

Adjusting to distance in meters is going to be an interesting challenge for me :) I did buy some FITA targets this spring, but that's about as far as I've gotten...

bob

Desert Archer
10-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Bob,

On the field forum at ArcheryTalk there was a thread not long ago about there being a FITA Field in Maryland, if I remember right. That would sure be a shorter drive. You might look into it for next year.

Dave

Desert Archer
10-18-2008, 05:51 AM
Dang! In helping put up targets and other wise set the course yesterday I injured or aggravated one or more of my collection of herniated Lumbar discs (I have 4 of them). This morning I can only stand with difficulty and walking is very painful. Even setting in front of the computer hurts. Living the vigorous life in your younger years eventually comes back to haunt you (several expletives deleted). I've been looking forward to shooting this FITA Field all year. There are only 2 in Arizona and none in any surrounding states. Crap!

I'll eventually find out how it went and report for those who might be interested. I am singularly disappointed.

Dave

Esquire
10-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Dave,

I'm really sorry to hear about the injury. I know how it feels, sort of. I have a bi-lateral inguinal hernia repair scheduled for Monday, which will kill a month of bowhunting, and on Thursday I blew an mcl ligament in my left knee playing soccer, in my "last hurrah" game, adding insult to injury.

I still haven't got to shoot my 48" ethafoam target. :(

Mike

Desert Archer
10-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Mike,

Your last hurrah sounds like it turned into a "last hurrump!" (smile) Hope your surgery goes well and the recovery is fast.

I was holding out a faint hope I would have some kind of miraculous recovery and be able to at least shoot the marked targets today. Yea, right! Just in trying to stand and walk around this morning I'm so drugged up I probably shouldn't drive a vehicle or handle sharp objects. Getting old is bad enough. Getting old when you're busted up just stinks! (LOL)

Dave

ButchD
10-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Dave,
That really sucks!
At least the present injury came helping get the course ready. You made some folks glad. The stuff we bring with us to our golden years isn't all gold lol. Any news about the shoot would be great. I hope you can get around a bit.
Mike, My daughter and I suffered minor indignities in the end of season parent vs kid match, Aspen tore up her ankle plowing the pitch with her toe, and I, well.. Grandson Sean seems none the worse for wear. I hope you can get some resolution with your knee.

Glynn Sluder
10-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Been gone on a weekend deer hunt, just now checking in.

Dave, that is very bad news. I can't imagine putting in so much effort getting ready (which was good) only to be denied. I hope you start feeling better as soon as possible.

bobferrell
10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I was hunting, too - Dave, that's a total bummer!
bob

Desert Archer
10-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Sounds like they had a good shoot from what I've been told. I was hoping we would get 30 or so but 26 is better than last year. For anyone interested the results are posted on the Papago FITA Archers web site. www.papagoarchery.com - then click on Results.

Dave

barking mad
10-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Dang it, Dave. That's a major downer.
Hope you're up and shooting soon.

-bm.