Not a member yet?
Register Now!
Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help
Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 07-13-2006, 08:56 PM

Diamond Paul is on a distinguished road
Question Is there a "best" recurve out there?

Wow, what a question, huh? Seems like I've shot a ton of really nice recurves over the years, but just can't seem to find that "perfect" bow. Just got a new one from Harrelson Archery, and it shoots very well, but seems a little rough around the edges when it comes to finish work. I have been intrigued by the threads I've read on Border Bows from Scotland, but they seem pretty high. What do ya'll think: is there a recurve that really stands out from the others in terms of smoothness, workmanship, and performance? I'd love to see some pictures. Thanks for replying, Paul.
Remove Ads
Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 PM

Esquire is on a distinguished road

Paul,

Welcome to the site!

I have to say the cream of the crop is a DAS Kinetic. Next (and not far behind for less money) is the WARF.

In an all wood bow the recurves made by Mark Lauver of Penn Archery Works are hard to beat, in my own experience. Both in workmanship and finish, and, more importantly, performance.

I just shot a couple rough pics to give you an idea of what my McKean (by Lauver) looks like. My WARF is camera shy tonight, due the ugly way I slapped on a clicker, but it is pure joy to shoot. My DAS is merely a pipe dream but maybe another raffle...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 13, 2006 014X.jpg (41.8 KB, 2350 views)
File Type: jpg July 13, 2006 016X.jpg (35.0 KB, 2311 views)

― C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Esquire; 10-11-2008 at 07:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esquire For This Useful Post:
deerjackie (09-22-2012), rsarns (06-02-2014)
Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Jack of all trades

James Wrenn is an unknown quantity at this point

Best covers such a big range because we are all so different in what we want in a bow.There is no right answer to your queston except the answer you come up with for yourself.

The Borders are among the top performers out there but like any bow you hear good and bad about them depending on who is doing the shooting.I suggest you try and make a way to shoot as many bows as you can before making a purchase.My top list is much like Esquire's and Hank's except I have no wood risered bows on it at this time.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:21 AM

dgf41 is on a distinguished road

AS far as looks and finish goes Blacktail Bows I think are the best looking. I have not shot one but have not heard anything bad about them . There are a lot of good looking bows on the market and opions very. My favorite bow is ugly but I love the way it shoots for me and would not give it up.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:37 AM

Jim Pritchard is on a distinguished road

I'm a bowhunter and backyard shooter. "Best" to me means a bow I can hit with consistently and one that is dependable.
For me that's the DAS.
I've shot lots of wood riser bows but no metal risered ones save the DAS.
As others have said, shoot as many as you can. Don't skip over the metal risered bows beacuse of what others may be telling you.
Regards,
Jim

Old 07-14-2006, 05:47 AM

Trillium is on a distinguished road

What does "best" mean? On these sorts of threads, everyone lists their favorite bow as the "best."

I suspect that among the well-known traditional bows built today (the thirty or forty whose names crop up is these sorts of discussions), they are all about 90 to 95 percent exactly the same -- the are all approaching the upper end of greatest possible efficiency in design, built to very exacting standards using top-notch materials, display force curves that are consistant with the draw length requested by the shooter, deliver a properly spined, reasonable-weight shaft a reasonable distance with a very, very high degree of consistancy (or at least as consistantly as the shooter can shoot). In terms of design, there are few archers (if any) around who can determine the marginal differences between efficency from one bow to another -- it usually takes a very controlled laboratory setting to determine any differences at all, and those laboratory tests (such as the ones Blacky conducts) universally show that the tested bows are outstanding performers. The traditional bow business is very competative, and those bowyers who don't meet the prevailing high standards, don't stay in business.

The other 5 to 10 percent of the bow is the intangibles that have little to do with actual performance of any given bow -- aesthetics, grip design and fit, limb length, design that favors optimum performance using heavy (or light) shafts, "feel," personal relationship with the bowyer, etc. I like my Hummingbird better than most other recurves I have shot, but that hardly means that my 'bird is the "best." It may, however, be the "best" for me...
G-Dawg (02-18-2012)
Old 07-14-2006, 06:19 AM

Bill Carlsen is on a distinguished road

Honetly now, you all know that the DAS is best. Interchangeable limbs, tiller and weight adjustment, shelf or elevated rest, best limbs in the world, dead in the hand, interchangeable grips, mass weight adjustments, quiet as a church mouse, custom camo paint jobs, best customer service known to man. Did I mention speed? Dave just put together a buffalo bow for Doug Chase. It is about 65# @ 31" and shoots a 1028 grain arrow 180 fps! That is smokin' for such a heavy arrow.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 AM

Pinelander has disabled reputation

Trillium has got it going on about this subject...

Like someone said somewhere else, "the best is the one that you shoot the best".

All the other things are of personal preference. I could show you pictures of beautiful wooden recurves from Bighorns to Widows to Fedoras... and beautiful metal recurves from Warfs to Quinns to DAS Kinetics. Wouldn't help much though... 'cause ya gotta shoot 'em to know 'em.

In time, this thread could turn into a symposium of recurve/longbow art and function, but for now... take a look at a list of current trad bowyers today (it's listed somewhere, just can't find it right now). It's the one that has a link to each of their websites.... I'm like a kid in a candy store when browsing through them.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 AM

danosage is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is a "best" out there. I haven't shot a DAS, but for me, a set of Sky Conquest or PSE Centra limbs on a warf, or even an un-weighted metal riser is hard to beat.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:43 AM

vermonster13 is on a distinguished road

Perfect your form and you can make just about any bow appear to be the best.

To many great bows and different styles to proclaim a best, but you can have a best for you.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Cato is on a distinguished road

In part, your answers may be somwewhat influenced by way of the pool from which they come. So many guys out here (including myself) are drunk on accuracy and shooting well at longer distances. Bow selection is a significant part of the equation. Heavier mass weight, and tuning features are extremely helpful to most.

That said, my vote is clearly for the DAS. A Warfer is almost a must for every archer as a standby and tinker toy (and much more). And if I couldn't go the DAS route, I'd have to try one of these Quinns.

One of the things I like the most about the DAS and the Warf is being able to tune the bow to the arrow by use of varying the draw weight, centershot, plunger, tiller, etc. Once you see how much you can do with all that, its pretty hard to go back to bows that do not offer those features.

So as they say on the Roam show, War DAS, War Warf, and War Quinn.

By the way, the Blacktail is awful pretty, and a very good bow.

Cato
Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 AM

ROB TAYLOR is on a distinguished road
Wink The BEST, you ask?

MMMMUUUUUAAAAAHHAHAHA!!! (evil laugh)........Why the DAS is the best recurve, my friend....

-Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to ROB TAYLOR For This Useful Post:
rsarns (06-02-2014)
Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Grey Ghost

Location: Half way between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow in far KY
Grey Ghost is on a distinguished road

I have a BW Greybark and two Warf's hanging on the wall. The ONLY recurve I would love to add to my wall would be a DAS with all the bells and whistles. I shoot both longbows (ACS-CX) and recurves, and the DAS is the only bow I want to add to my collection. It offers all the advantages of the WARF in a different package. Just think you can buy new limbs in any draw weight and length you want for about $180 a set. Name me any other major WOOD custom bow that you can do that with. Like Trillieum said. "best for me."

gg
Old 07-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Administrator

tuffshot is on a distinguished road

Finding the best recurve is a very old quest. There have been many champions from years gone by who thought they had the best. Improvements in technology has made many improvements. Each individual bowyer puts his own design factors in their bow, such as limb design, riser length and weight etc.

From the past to the present there is a better bow out there, but the one that fits the individual best is usually the best. It can be an archers lifetime quest.

A good archer always thinks his bow is the best.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:55 AM

dwalk is on a distinguished road
Default best recurve?

let me start by saying i'm saving for a DAS.

i, like many others here, have, and have owned and shot, many 'custom' recurves to include BW, Bob Lee, Wes Wallace, over the years. i still have and shoot the bows aforementioned (except the BW) i also have a Hoyt GameMaster.

the Hoyt has become one of my favorites due to the 'tunability' mentioned earlier.

as far as PERFORMANCE is concerned i never have "chronoed" any of them (and i own a chronograph)

i believe most modern day bows, both 'custom' and production are highly capable.

to answer the question which is "best" i would have to say; "i'm not sure, you'll have to find out for yourself."

Tags
recurve

Search tags for this page
best custom recurve bow
best hunting recurve bow
best rated recurve bows

best recurve bow

best recurve bow for hunting
best recurve bow for the money
best recurve bows
best recurve bows for hunting
best recurve bows on the market
best recurve hunting bow
what is the best recurve bow
who makes the best recurve bows
Click on a term to search for related topics.