Patron Membership
Board Menu
» Help
Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Special Interests > Shoot Scores

Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Desert Archer is on a distinguished road
Default American 900 Round

This is NFAA's version of "target archery". It is 30 arrows shot at 60 yards in 5 ends of 6 arrows each. Then 30 arrows at 50 yards, again 5 ends of 6 arrows. Finally, 30 arrows at 40 yards, as above.

Target is the multi-colored 122cm face (NAA/FITA) that takes at least a 48" target butt. Scoring is 10 & 9 for the Gold, 8 & 7 for the Red, 6 & 5 for the Blue, 4 & 3 for the Black and 2 & 1 for the White. Possible for each distance is 300, total is 900 - hence the name "900 Round".

For those of you who have bows in the 45# and under range this can be quite fun. I've watched a couple people try it with hunting weight bows (50# and up) and by the time they get to 40 yards (that's after 60 shots) their form and technique is awful.

There is also the FITA 900 which is virtually the same course of fire but done in meters instead of yards. That works out to be just about exactly 10% further for each distance.

If anyone is interested in either the American 900 or the FITA 900, lets start posting scores here. I'm shooting the American version tomorrow as part of the AZ Police Olympics. I'll put up my results when I'm done.

Dave

Last edited by Desert Archer; 04-10-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Remove Ads
Old 04-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Default It's gonna be lonely here (LOL)!

When I started the 28 Target Field course thread I thought I was a voice crying in the wilderness but this one is probably gonna be worse (smiley face goes here).

In the faint hope it will intice some of you to try it, I shot the American 900 today in the Arizona Police Olympics and shot a 704. Close to my personal best of 708 but too many slopy releases (shooting a couple in the gold then seeing the next one go into the 3 or 4 ring is depressing - LOL).

Shot next to Biblethumpincop (Olympic Recurve) and enjoyed his company a great deal. He shot in the 770s (sorry John, don't remember the exact number). Gusty winds for the 40 yard part made both of us scatter some arrows - along with my goofy release...

This stuff is fun guys and like field archery it will make you a better archer, at 3D, hunting and everything else you try.

Dave
Old 04-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Grumpy Admin.

van_fl is on a distinguished road
Default let there be more 900 rounds

Dave I have the Fl State Senior Games State Record at 668 that was done in a 26 mph cross wind with gusts to 38mph. my best was 728 but only the state shoot counts for the books. My norm seems to be about 700-711. I love 900 rounds
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Great to hear from you Van. We'll have to see who gets to 750 first, since you already beat me to 725 which is my next goal (smiley face goes here).

Dave
Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Sidelined

swampy is on a distinguished road

I,ve never seen that target is it simular in size to any of the field targets ??

We have the field targets set up on our butts but I don,t recall what sizes,since I haven,t shot long range in a few yrs
Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Sidelined

one more thing do ya get any warm up rounds?? At what distance or one end at each or ????

Sorry for the stupid ???,s I,ve never seen this round before let alone shot it.
I used ta shoot field archery a long time ago with the other kind of bow
Old 04-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Grumpy Admin.

van_fl is on a distinguished road

900 Round.

1. Round consists of 90 arrows. 30 shot at 60 yards, 30 shot at 50 yards and 30 shot at 40 yards (Youth shoot 50, 40, and 30), (Cubs shoot 30, 20, 10) and (PeeWee shoot 20, 15, 10)
2. Archers shoot at a 122 cm multicolor face with a gold center, followed by red, blue, black and white rings. The target is scored 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1.
3. Archers shoot 6 arrows per end. Five ends at each distance.

we in FL get one end for Practice that doesn’t count at 60yds at the start
Old 04-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Swamp,

The one thing Van left out is that 122cm target translates to rooughly 48". At the target range I occasionally frequent they put them on 52" Whitetail foam target mats.

In the Senior Olympics, where I've shot this round the most often, they usually give you two warm-up ends (6 arrows each end) at 60 yards. I think they operate on the theory that you have practiced and know where to shoot, but need to limber up the old joints a little (remember I said senior olympics - LOL).

Unless you know of a target shooting club around your area, you will probably have to order one or two of these targets. I got some from Lancaster Archery and practiced the 40 yard part in my back yard/patio before the previously mentioned senior olympics.

Dave
Old 04-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Sidelined

Thanks ,I can have the archery shop that I shoot out of order them or just get some for our archery club.We do have a range set up long enough to give it a try
Old 04-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Sidelined

BLACK WOLF is on a distinguished road

I remember a couple of years ago our archery club (CTAS) set-up a 900 round and by the time I got done shooting it I had lost my form and shot some disappointing rounds on the next 3, 3D courses that day. I'll never shoot that round before a 3D competition again

Last year I won it with a score somewhere between 650 and 700. Some of you guys would just spank me with scores in the 700's.

By the time I'm done shooting that round I have pulled back about 6,210lbs. That shoot is a work-out but it's also a lot of fun

Ray
Old 04-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Default You're a better man than me!

Ray, I just can't pull the kind of pounds you do. My shoulders would never last if I tried.

I know your interest in archery is different than mine so don't take this wrong, but if you want to shoot 90 arrows and not loose your form, get a lighter bow. Honest, it won't hurt (LOL).

Dave
Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Sidelined

BLACK WOLF is on a distinguished road

DA,

I definitely agree...a lighter bow would be easier but that first time I shot it I had already worked my upper body out in the gym earlier that day.

I think I have the perfect bow for that now...it's a 60lbs. DAS that feels like 50lbs. but shoots like a 70lbs. bow

Ray
Old 04-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Default The Metric Version

No one else seems to be doing much here but I'm going to plunge ahead in the faint hope that it might inspire or encourage someone to get involved in this. I really think you will like it if you give it a try.

Anyway, the FITA 900 is exactly the same as the American except it is in meters, which translates to about a 10% increas in distance (60 meters is 66 yards, etc.). The local FITA club I recently joined is having an FITA 900 on May 14th. I just got my first batch of "good" arrows (Easton Navigators) and needed to try them at 60, 50 & 40 meters before the 14th so I went to their Saturday practice session.

Managed to shoot a practice 900 round and surprised myself. My previous best on the FITA 900 was 653. Today I shot a 720. No match pressure of course, but I was still impressed with how much better I shot with those little skinney arrows. Guess those Olympic types may know something about what equipment works best and how to shoot a recurve (smiley face goes here).

Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Barebow Recurve Shooter

Default Indever to Perservere

As further proof that "practice" is not the same as a "match" I shot the FITA 900 today in a tournament setting (Papago FITA Archer's Spring Claissic). My previous best, as earlier reported was 653. After shooting a 720 in practice I had high hopes of at least breaking 700 today. How quickly we are humbled (LOL). Best I could do was a 687. Got to stop tossing the occasional arrow way out of the group. That must have cost me 20-25 points over the course of shooting 90 arrows. Oh well, just have to work harder.

Dave
Old 05-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Sidelined

Thats still good shootin DA and I know all to well about doing good in practice and not up to the norm when it counts LOL Not sure about you but I get more worked up in that type of situation then if a deer was in front of me.Don,t get me wrong I get the shakes with deer but it,s genrally right after the shot

Tags
900, american, round

Search tags for this page
900 archery round rules

900 round archery

900 round archery rules

900 round archery scores
900 round archery target size

american 900 round

american 900 round archery

archery 900 round

archery 900 round rules

nfaa 900 round
nfaa archery records american round
what is a 900 round in archery
Click on a term to search for related topics.