Trad Talk Forums banner

Border Covert Hunter Tuning

12K views 57 replies 20 participants last post by  moog5050 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a Covert Hunter, thanks again Jer, and have been tuning it over the past few days. I have found that it seems to tolerate a range of spines. I am shooting with a 1" fixed crawl and it shoots quite well. My setup is a 49# bow, 28.5 draw, using velcro soft side for the shelf and side. It shoots 400 spine GT trads, 29" with 100 grain points, GT 7595 trads 300 spine 32" long with 100 grain points, and GT 340 trads 31.5" long with 100 grain points. I am still looking for a best fit setup and was wondering what you guys are shooting with your setups? I tried using a piece of toothpick to space out the center shot and the bow seems to like the plain velcro with no extra spacing. By the way, the tiller on this bow is 1/8" positive, which is good. I'm looking for a 425 to 475 grain arrow that will shoot well.

Mike

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Congrats on the new bow.

My 66" CH @ 50# is shooting .340 spine Traditional Only 32 1/2" with a NAP Centerrest. 200 grain up front

My 68" CH @50# is shooting .300 spine 33'' Traditional Only off the shelf . 250 grain up front

I can switch spines back and forth with not much tune variance

#4 ·
I know I'll be in a minority here, but I think you're way too stiff. At least that's my split finger opinion. I have some ILF 7.5's and shoot 46 at 29inches. My arrow is .500 and 32 inches long with 200 grains up front.

I first tuned with impacts, then nock kick out and than shot through paper at 12 feet and 12 yards. No broadheads yet.

Bowmania

#6 ·
Thanks for posting this, El Gavilan. I'm about two weeks away from tuning my 47.5#@29" CH with hex 7s so this info is great. I've been planning either GT Hunters or Velocity @ 400 and .340 at 31ish "...looks like I should be within the ballpark. Let us know what you settle on as your top setup.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I did quite a bit of shooting at the range yesterday and got it tuned pretty well using a 29" Gold Tip Trad 400 with a screw in 140 grain point for my 49# bow and 28.5 draw. It was bare shafting out to 30 yards fairly well. I did try using some 500 spine arrows and they were showing way to weak, bare shafts were hitting at a 45 degree angle at 5 feet from the target. I don't know how you guys shoot those with success, could be my lousy release causing the poor showing though!

I'm going to keep on trying different arrow setups just to see if I can perfect it further.

Mike

#12 ·
On my 47# I was using 400 axis with a 200gr head and they were 30" and I draw 29". I could also tune .340 with a 200 gr tip but almost full length. I tried .500 but they hit my riser so hard I thought I broke something. I was using 125 gr tips on those.

#13 ·
El Gavilan,

I suspect your tuning is at issue. When I hear someone say, "I was bare shafting out to 30 yards" usually give me a clue they were tuning by nock kick and not impacts.

To start and to illiminate false readings you should tune by impacts. www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html click on "download printable version". Once you're done with that a couple of twists of the string will get any nock kick out.

Bowmania

#15 ·
I take it by reading this post is that no one knows what good flight is (kidding of course) or that there are so many combinations of arrow specs that we sometimes overthink the spine issue. But in the end if I can have an arrow hit center of the group and straight in the target I think you are there.

#17 ·
In my my limited experience with my Border limbs I haven't found them any more difficult to tune than a normal set of conventional limbs. Mine are 6.5 but I can't imagine 7's or higher, being any more particular. It was easy in fact. My setup is for 3D but the same logic still applies to a hunting arrow with the exception of extreme foc some folks tend to favor. My current setup is 38# otf @29.5 inches, Gold tip 600 left full length with Easton CB 80 gr glue ins, and 2" feathers. If I were to put those same limbs on a 21" riser, I'd pick a 500 spine cut to 30" with a 125gr to a 150 gr broadhead and still have a good tune. My limbs don't store as much energy as 7.5 but given the difference with the information given on Borders website regarding stored energy and fps differences between the two models, one can make an educated guess on where to start.

#21 ·
Yup I just go with grouping.......I get flyers when I BS so you have to be patient sometimes.

All I know is that when you find the right setup...WRITE IT DOWN.....BH - TIP WT - NOCK SET

Arrow info.

Another thing is the darn nocks. Make sure they aren't snapping on too hard.....you should be able to tap your string pretty lightly and get them to come off the string.

Sounds like your close or even there bud.

Jer

#23 ·
I am curious as to how guys set their centershot.
I plan on using double sided tape under the strike plate to get centershot set or my arrows. It is about 1/16" so I can come out that much at a time.

#24 ·
It might sound weird but I got the best performance just using Velcro and no build out. I tried building it out when I first got it and it was noisy and vibrated a bunch. I almost sent it back. I then put just the Velcro on and it changed completely. It shot a little right for me but a little tuning of the arrow and it got it close enough for my brain to adjust in a couple of days. As you can see these are a different animal and there is a learning curve to them but well worth it.

#27 ·
Hex limbs seem to like the arrow on center and stiff. Just the nature of the beast I suppose.

Grant

#28 ·
Hex limbs seem to like the arrow on center and stiff. Just the nature of the beast I suppose.

Grant
Im not sure thats the case Grant. Moose and I are having luck with conventional limb spines, but i needed proper tiller to acheive good results. If I went with conventional setup(even tiller for 3 under) then yes stiff spine and center shot. I believe they are sensitive to hand pressure/placement and string torque. Get the bow set up for your personal conditions and tuning becomes easy. I believe this is why some struggle, cause I sure did at first.

Reactions: Hades
#29 ·
As an example, last night I had my .800 vaps shooting out of the Border limbs set to about 35# with my 29.5" draw. 3mm Difference in positive tiller. Shafts are 29.25" carbon to carbon, 60 gr points, 2" feathers. Center shot was set so the arrow was disecting the right inside portion of the shaft. Nothing crazy, point was a hair left of the string. Everything is shooting as it should like that. Fast forward 2 hours and I get a wild hair to tune to my .500 Fatboys. Same limbs, turned in 3 turns, center shot moved over toward the riser a smidge to compensate for their diameter, and in less than 10 mins had those flying great out of the same bow. I don't understand the problems people keep reporting in tuning these?

They are no different than any conventional limb I've had. These .500's are full length with 80 gr glue ins, and 4" feathers. I also have a set of GT .600 that I can tune up in a jiffy (less than 10 mins) with these limbs. 3 different spines out of one set of limbs. I had those tuned two days before. They are also full length with 80gr Easton CB points glued in with 2" feathers. I bareshaft out to 25 on all these spines and and all the results are good.

Honestly, I think if there are problems tuning arrows off Borders, it might not be equipment related...and I don't mean that in a negative manner. These are super stiff in the torsional department, but that won't clean up a sketchy release.

#31 ·
As an example, last night I had my .800 vaps shooting out of the Border limbs set to about 35# with my 29.5" draw. 3mm Difference in positive tiller. Shafts are 29.25" carbon to carbon, 60 gr points, 2" feathers. Center shot was set so the arrow was disecting the right inside portion of the shaft. Nothing crazy, point was a hair left of the string. Everything is shooting as it should like that. Fast forward 2 hours and I get a wild hair to tune to my .500 Fatboys. Same limbs, turned in 3 turns, center shot moved over toward the riser a smidge to compensate for their diameter, and in less than 10 mins had those flying great out of the same bow. I don't understand the problems people keep reporting in tuning these?

They are no different than any conventional limb I've had. These .500's are full length with 80 gr glue ins, and 4" feathers. I also have a set of GT .600 that I can tune up in a jiffy (less than 10 mins) with these limbs. 3 different spines out of one set of limbs. I had those tuned two days before. They are also full length with 80gr Easton CB points glued in with 2" feathers. I bareshaft out to 25 on all these spines and and all the results are good.

Honestly, I think if there are problems tuning arrows off Borders, it might not be equipment related...and I don't mean that in a negative manner. These are super stiff in the torsional department, but that won't clean up a sketchy release.
Jeff

I agree and really appreciate you giving your thoughts buddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.