Trad Talk Forums banner

Question to DAS experts: Brace Height?

8K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Short Draw 
#1 ·
Do not want to highjack another thread so I open mine.

Doing some searches found these ranges:

Brace Height:
58" 7.25 to 7.50"
58” 18,4cm to 19,0cm.

60" 7.25” to 7.75”
60" 18,4cm to 19,7cm.

62" 7.5 to 8.25"
62" 19,0cm to 21,0cm.

Are those BHs right gor recurve limbs?

Thanks
Martin

#3 ·
Hi Jim,
Yes was your thread the one I do not want to highjack.
The problem is that they always give a range and they do not explain which limbs are for (S, M or L).

Actual Manual recommends 7 ¾ to 8 ½ but 2010 and 2006 Manual recommends 7 ¼ to 7 ¾.

I have the old David Soza Manual somewhere but cannot find it now.

Just would like to establish recommended BH from the experts in one post so all users can find it.
I have also ask 3rivers yesterday and I do not get an answer yet
Thanks
Martin

#4 ·
I am no expert, but everyone is a bit different. You need to play and experimentnto find what you like and what you think works.

I have a 27 inch draw. Got a das gen l with medium limbs, a das gen ll with long limbs and a das brownie with long longbow limbs. I personally like a high brace height. On the two recurves brace height is 8 in. Longbow it is 8 1/4.

Again that is what I like.,doesn't mean you will

#5 ·
Those are suggested starting points.
Arrow weight , limb weight, draw length and anchor all determine proper BH.

START low and shoot a few shots. Increase BH slightly and repeat. There will be a point that the bow is the most quiet. That is the BH you need to use. Doing this along with shooting through a chrono and you will see the speed increase and stater to fall off.
My recurve limbs ended up at 7 5/8" while my LB limbs are 7 3/4"

#6 ·
Called the wife. She measured the string for me with no twists in it and a fair amount of tension on the string. The string measures 54". It is a 58" recurve. With just a few twists in it, the lowest I can go on BH is about 7 5/8". I always thought with a recurve you used a string 4" shorter than AMO bow length. So to get a BH range of 7.25 to 7.75 I will need a shorter string, who knows how much shorter but a shorter one non the less.

#8 ·
Here is a direct excerpt for the DAS Manual written by David Soza.

This is the recommendation for the 60 inch bow.

Brace height

The optimum brace height for these bows is 7 ¼" to 7 3/4 ". Brace height is best measured to the center of the plunger hole (or the crest of the shelf rest ramp). New strings may stretch initially and require adjustment by twisting the string. Always twist the string in the same direction as the original twists.

Hope this will help.

The 58 inch bow is a little shorter, 6 3/4 to 7 1/2 and the 62 inch is 7 1/2 to 8 1/2.
Again this is a starting point, your actual brace height may vary.

Erich

#9 ·
Called 3Rivers and spoke to Art. Asked him why they changed the BH spec. Told him which bow I had (17" Dalaa, short limbs, etc). He told me that 3Rivers determined that the BH was too low as originally spec'ed and found that with a higher BH the bows actually performed better. Said I would have to go to a 55" actual length string to bring the BH down to the original specs. Said it would not hurt anything to do so. Just thought I'd pass it along.

#10 ·
Another way I start Brace Height adjustments is to string a bow and check where the string touches the grooves on the limb top.
I like to see about 1/4 of the groove showing and then check brace height.
This gives a good starting point if you are not sure of the actual measurement.

Erich

#11 ·
Hi,
Just received the answer fron 3Rivers.

Art from 3Rivers Archery said:
"The recommended brace height for the 17" riser and any of the recurve limbs is 7 3/4 to 8 1/2"."

Thanks Erich.
I prefer old recommendations.

Martin

#15 ·
Pre-load on the limbs will also make a difference in where the sweet spot in your BH will be, at least that is how it has seemed to work with my bows.

Have a great day,
Kasey

#16 ·
sorry that was a little lacking in explanation, by preload I mean how far the tiller bolts are turned in or out. I hope that you can figure it out. I havent had a das for a long time but one of the things that I remember about its shooting quality was the ability to get it very quiet with the right BH.

Kasey

#17 ·
These are first impressions only. Could not hear well in the shop last night due to the radio, customers, and the fact that the carpet on the shop's range has the uncanny ability to muffle bow noise. Also the shops chrono is broke. So I will have to shoot over mine when I get time over the next week or so but.........

The 55" string will allow me a BH range of 7.125" to about 7.625"
The 54.5" string allows for a BH range of about 7.4375" to 7.875"
The supplied 3R Laser string allows for a BH of 7.625" to 8.5"

Why the Laser string allows for more adjustment is beyond me. I know 3R claims it does but it looks like nothing more than an expensive endless loop to me. I based the BH range of the two 8125 endless loops on the # of twists in the string. I checked the way each string lays in the groove and how it contacts the limbs. If 1/4" of the groove showing is a good starting point, then 3R is correct about the BH range they are now putting in the manual which is 7.75" to 8.5". Anything less than about 7.5" and the string is touching the limb beyond the end of the groove. I tried shooting the bow at a wide variety of BH's and let me tell you 7.25" is NOT the way to go with the short SKY limbs. Lots of string vibration, even though I could not hear the best I could tell shot noise was way up, and the shot just does not feel right. As I gradually twisted the 55" string up to about 7.5" the shot felt better. As soon as I put the 54.5" string on and progressed closer to 7.75" the shot felt better still. Anything between about 7.625" and 8.5" is really a toss up on noise, vibration, and simply how the shot felt. Like I said I could not shoot anything through the chrono to check how speed changes with BH but I will at home in the next few days. At this point and time if I HAD to pick one BH to go with based on the amount of shooting I've done with the bow so far, I'd say roughly 8" is this bow's 'happy' spot.

#18 ·
Jim

That is interesting information.

I will have to see if the new Sky limbs are built differently than the old ones.
From the sound of things they may be different than the regular limbs of Samick and Win & Win and other regular profiled limbs.
Sounds like a hybrid recurve/long bow limb style.

Could you get pictures of the bow strung and at the high brace height?
I would like to see the top of the limb too.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to get the information.

Erich

#19 ·
I'm sorry but I have no way to post pics of any kind. Don't have a digital camera and my cell phone was built during the Fred Flintstone era. I can't take pics with my phone nor can I text. In some respects I kind of live under an anti-technology rock (as I type this on a computer hooked to the web ;) ).

#20 ·
Jim

I can totally relate.
No cell phone.
But do have a digital camera.

Season's greetings.

Erich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.