Board Menu
» Help

Go Back   TradTalk Forums > Main Category > TradTalk Main Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,853 Posts
stevelong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 'Known range' 3D ?

"known range" - -
each hole in GOLF is marked & "known" - - but it helps me not-so-much...
The Following User Says Thank You to stevelong For This Useful Post:
ArrowCrazy (05-24-2016)
Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 PM

paddlepro is on a distinguished road

Marked 3D will certainly attract more compound shooters with sights resulting in longer waits, while they adjust, consult, let down etc... Why not just let people use range finders and be in a different class with similar folks.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:12 PM

BruceBerry is on a distinguished road

Around here there are no marked 3d shoots at all, the majority of people is proud to shoot instinctive and doesn't need to know distances, so they say. In fact, as mentioned earlier it is an welcome excuse for bad shots not to know yardages.

I would love to have more WA field rounds - with a marked and an unmarked section it is the best of both worlds imho.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:18 PM

longbowguy is on a distinguished road

Just because the distance is not marked, that doesn't mean you have to estimate it. Out to about 45 yards I don't want to know the distance and wouldn't know what to do with the info if I did. I just gaze at target center, take my time and focus on making a good shot. I trust the on board computer in my subconscious to judge and allow for distance. Many archers do; maybe most of them.

At longer distances my arrow point approaches my line of sight and I aim off it. I do a lot of walkback, walkup, and roving practice to hone the skill. My only range estimation is close, medium and far; no numbers in my head. When I get out to real far, 45 or 50 and beyond I start to estimate distances and calculate gaps. But not before. - lbg
Old 08-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Thanked 1,309 Times in 867 Posts
Dana C is on a distinguished road

Instead of starting a new thread, I heard a rumor from a reliable source that there may be a known-yardage 3D in central New England next year. I still need to buy a range finder, for other reasons...

Time will not only tell, but instruct.

Last edited by Dana C; 09-06-2016 at 02:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Thanked 1,713 Times in 1,202 Posts
Jinkster is on a distinguished road

Man....I'm beginning to think that all my thoughts and opinions are unpopular!

But at least I got the yarbles to voice them!

The idea repulses me...as much as use of rangefinders does.

Too me?...both are a waste of good foam.

I don't sight myself into the bow by shooting up expensive 3D animal targets...there's far better and less expensive ways to do that.

There's also a plethora of other venues from which to choose that are...

"All Known Yardage" Shoots"

so why take the only one that isn't and..."Mark It Off"?

If this keeps up?...pretty soon the folks who are great instinctive archers will go the way of the Vampires....and instinctive archers will become extinct.

I'm calling it "Ethnic Cleansing"...and it rings of Genocide I tell You!

Borders Tempest 25: 66"/38# Hex7 Limbs

JD Berry "Misty Dawn" String Follow ASL: 66"/47#
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 PM

paddlepro is on a distinguished road

I much prefer the unmarked 3D shoots. It also helps me practice guessing the yardage.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:36 PM

Mr. Roboto is on a distinguished road

Right now my range estimation really sucks and Easton Arrows loves me when I shoot 3D.

But I wish there was ASA shoots up in my neck of the woods. With the technique I learned from Sandy McCain (though Gary tried to lay claim to it) I can shoot 0 to 25 all day long without even having to guess a range. I know I will score. Being better at range estimating will move those 5's to 11's.

But 50 yard unmarked, I really have to think hard to show up. Marked out to 50, sign me up. I am a cheapskate, I hate loosing arrows.

I have a range finder on my Christmas wish list...
Old 08-02-2016, 10:00 PM

BenMaher is on a distinguished road

I enjoy all forms of the game ... just wish
A. I had time to shoot Field [ I haven't shot a comp round in over 2 years , working w'ends etc ]
B. I was just better at it .

I use a rangefinder a fair bit these days, having now nearly lost any vsion whatsoever in my right eye , it comes in very handy when training. And marked 3D ? Sounds cool IMHO ....
Old 08-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Civil but Disobedient

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,827 Posts
Hank D Thoreau is on a distinguished road

It seems like there is a place for marked 3D in hunting practice. I am not a hunter but based on things I have read here, I will take a crack....tell me how I do.

I know bow hunters that use range finders.

Don't you also know how far it is from the seat in the tree stand to where you expect the deer to be?

I think I would try to sight distances to expected locations before I climbed the ladder.

Heck, some folks use trail cams and baits, so there has to be an expectation of where the deer is expected to pass.

I am not sure what % of archers have a pretty good idea of distance before they shoot, and whether it is significantly different for trad archers. Most archers I see with range finders are compound shooters with pin sights.

Maybe I am just trying to build a case for marked 3D. As I mentioned before, I have to use marked 3D to practice for field, since there are so few field tournaments.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:44 AM

Smag will become famous soon enough

Yep
ASA Known is getting bigger every year at the State and National Level. Great way to get youngsters ready for bow hunting and they are out there at the State ASA levels in large numbers. If you have not seen know range 3D it's a pretty big crowd. There are plenty guys/gals on TT that have been to ASA events that can attest to how big "Known" class shooting is.

I may not use the range finder in every instance during bow hunting. I will range index several stand or blind locations and memorize them. With time for hunting being what it is (valued) I sure don't go hunt without a rangefinder and guess at cleanly killing game.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:32 PM

This is from a Facebook post on the IBO Northeast page (I asked for and received permission to copy it here)

I'll just post the part on IBO putting on Known Yardage shoots. The complete post is available at - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...45127478892269

"The last item I would like to address is the "Known Yardage" debate. Many people have stated "once again the IBO has ignored the idea of known yardage". Let me reassure you that this topic probably gets discussed more than any other topic concerning the target side of the IBO, maybe more than all the other target issues combined. The IBO, is most definitely NOT ignoring this topic. I will also state that I do receive many comments from members who wish to NOT see a known yardage side of the IBO. Of course the general membership does not hear much from this side because they currently have "their way".

Known yardage would be a huge change for the IBO and is not as simple as just instituting it. Most of the locations where qualifiers are held can not simply put together another course for known yardage competitors. Whether it is a lack of land or targets or even both. IBO courses are typically meant to be set-up in hunting scenarios, not merely walking down a road and shooting at targets. Because of this obstacle it would be very premature to "just adopt" known yardage.

Some may state "why can't you just have them shoot the same course?". The question comes into play how do you then prevent cheating or "sharing" of yardages? Do you have the Known start after the Unknown? How about the parent who brings their child and one shoots one and the other shoots the other or spouse. Then the complaint becomes "we had to sit there all day waiting for the other". How about Unknown on Saturday and Known on Sunday? Once again the potential splitting of families; not to mention the folks who work Saturday but want to shoot Unknown or vice versa. Even the thought of separate events is not possible for numerous reasons. Ie. the complaint of families having to travel multiple weekends because of the 2 different genres let alone the reps spending more time away for free.

So yes, the IBO hears the many of you that would like to see a Known aspect, we are not ignoring you. We are discussing it. Trust me we want to have as many members as possible; because we see the IBO as the "NRA" of bowhunting. We are not trying to "scare off" members or potential members. If the IBO were to go to a Known aspect it would be a huge change and as such it would be imperative for us to really have solutions to the potential problems before making such an implementation."
Jon Brown
National State Rep Coordinator

Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,691 Posts
Jon Lewis is on a distinguished road

IBO will have a known yardage class next year I reckon, it has to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Not sure they can do it as a 'class' but they do see that there's a demand.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 PM

Harpman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana C View Post
Not sure they can do it as a 'class' but they do see that there's a demand.
Here's a thought...Why couldn't the IBO just hold Known yardage shoots on different weekends, or at different locations?..If the IBO would just have three big shoots a year, (all Known yardage), anywhere near the Great Lakes region, there will be a great turnout...The IBO is losing alot of folks to the ASA, and this Known Yardage is one of the many big reasons...I personally know plenty of folks that love the ASA shoots, because of the Known Yardage shooting classes...And the simplistic ranges, and organization at the shoots, etc.etc...I would probably shoot some of the bigger ASA shoots myself, but I am not willing to drive or ride the long distances from western Ohio to get there...A few big shoots here in the Midwest, or Great Lakes region would be nice...IBO, or ASA......Jim

Tags
range